PDA

View Full Version : Dear Ubisoft: you ruined stealth

WardenWolf
02-21-2019, 07:16 PM
In Far Cry 3, 4, and 5, if an enemy spotted you, you had a split second to kill them before they alerted their friends. Now, the moment they spot you, everyone magically knows. I don't know why you felt the need to screw with a perfectly good mechanic that made the games great, but you did.

This, combined with the fact that the usable map is significantly smaller than 5 and has far less content, has led me to conclude that this series is dead unless you do something drastic. 3 and 4 were masterpieces. 5 was marred only by too-fast progression. But New Dawn took so many great things about the previous games and threw it out. The new weapons tiers are very arcade-like, and the lack of customization is unforgivable. Not just stealth, but you ruined Far Cry.

The_Father_Xmas
02-21-2019, 07:21 PM
And takedowns locked away behind perk walls...

*smh*

mr_wilson1954
02-21-2019, 07:40 PM
*smh*

Pardon me for asking but is this:

"Shaking my head" - "Stupid minded humans" - "So much hate" - "Shave my head" ????

It's hard to keep up with acronyms now days......

garymjh
02-21-2019, 07:42 PM
I find the stealth involved in taking out a level 3 outpost undetected (not 'no alarms') to be one of the most enjoyable things I've done in any game ever. It's incredibly hard at times but incredibly satisfying.

googlebright
02-21-2019, 07:44 PM
Pardon me for asking but is this:

"Shaking my head" - "Stupid minded humans" - "So much hate" - "Shave my head" ????

It's hard to keep up with acronyms now days......

It's "Shaking My Head". Any time I see someone use it I immediately picture them as one of those obnoxious, "I know better than you" types. Never mind the fact that various takedowns have always needed to be unlocked via upgrades in Far Cry, so why that mechanic in this game deserves to have someone shake their head at it I'm not sure.

kniVes-6-
02-21-2019, 09:59 PM
I find the stealth involved in taking out a level 3 outpost undetected (not 'no alarms') to be one of the most enjoyable things I've done in any game ever. It's incredibly hard at times but incredibly satisfying.

Agreed, those two elite guys are hard to take-down and they're off the radar when behind obstacles. You're right, It was satisfying to do this undetected. I didn't find stealth affected in the game and it takes minutes to open the takedown perks. Granted, a little longer for a good silent weapon to be unlocked.

The_Father_Xmas
02-21-2019, 11:12 PM
various takedowns have always needed to be unlocked via upgrades in Far Cry.

Not a basic simple takedown. I literally couldn't believe my eyes when I ran up to an unarmored non-heavy to do a takedown and was greated with the message "takedown not available. unlocked with perks". Only for me to immediately get detected.

Basic takedowns for non-heavies are a staple mechanic of the series, and not being able to do them when you are poorly equiped in the beginning is a little frustrating to say the least.

Each to their own, but personally I don't enjoy having basic game mechanics locked away behind perk barriers.

mr_wilson1954
02-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Not a basic simple takedown. I literally couldn't believe my eyes when I ran up to an unarmored non-heavy to do a takedown and was greated with the message "takedown not available. unlocked with perks". Only for me to immediately get detected.

I don't enjoy having basic game mechanics locked away behind perk barriers.

St. no offense intended here, but I am looking at the Perk chart and I believe that guy must have been a RANK II fella - as that is the First level Take-down Perk, clearly marked as II, III & Elite on my PS4 here........

ps - I altered my normal Perk choices when I saw that

The_Father_Xmas
02-22-2019, 02:03 AM
St. no offense intended here, but I am looking at the Perk chart and I believe that guy must have been a RANK II fella - as that is the First level Take-down Perk, clearly marked as II, III & Elite on my PS4 here........

I'm not sure what your point is here exactly, but yes, I'm talking about not being able to use takedowns on rank 2+ non-heavy enemies.

It's just so jarring when you see an enemy with no armour, try to use a takedown, and for no good reason the game says "Nope!". Immersion just goes out the window.

It's like if you pushed the button for 'jump' in the original Mario, but the game says "Sorry, you're not levelled-up enough to use that ability!"

googlebright
02-22-2019, 08:12 PM

Basic takedowns for non-heavies are a staple mechanic of the series, and not being able to do them when you are poorly equiped in the beginning is a little frustrating to say the least.

Each to their own, but personally I don't enjoy having basic game mechanics locked away behind perk barriers.

These perks are unlocked so early in the game I honestly don't see how this is an issue. I had that perk unlocked before I even started encountering Rank 2 enemies, and you don't need a perk to take down a Rank 1 enemy.

The_Father_Xmas
02-22-2019, 08:47 PM
I honestly don't see how this is an issue..

I already explained how it was an issue in detail. So I will not waste my time elaborating.

googlebright
02-22-2019, 09:23 PM
I already explained how it was an issue in detail. So I will not waste my time elaborating.

That was basically me saying "I don't agree with your explanation and think you are crying over nothing".

mr_wilson1954
02-22-2019, 09:37 PM
These perks are unlocked so early in the game I honestly don't see how this is an issue. I had that perk unlocked before I even started encountering Rank 2 enemies, and you don't need a perk to take down a Rank 1 enemy.

THAT was my POINT, it appeared in the post I quoted of his he obfuscated this "fact", in order to promote his negative opinion - I was trying to be polite. You'll notice he saddled up a different horse to CYA so to speak.

Gr4nt8r0dy
02-22-2019, 11:53 PM
in far cry 3 you had to unlock takedowns before being able to do them on anyone it was one of the first skills you unlock but you did have to unlock it

DapperHayden007
02-23-2019, 03:25 AM
Basic takedowns for non-heavies are a staple mechanic of the series

You do realize takedowns were only added into the series in Far Cry 3? that's 7 titles without the mechanic (including spin-offs) where as there's only 5 titles with the mechanic. So calling takedowns a staple mechanic of the series is the furthest from correct you could be. :rolleyes:

But anyway, there's got to be a sense of progression, however I do agree slightly with you that the inability to have takedowns on basic enemies at the start is a little strange, because you'd expect the closest outpost to have no Heavy's so the game starts off easier but gets more difficult as you explore more. Although I sense the developers made it that way so you could go around and explore a bit first before jumping into the outposts, so you can level up a little and gain a bit of gear.

HorTyS
02-23-2019, 12:23 PM
You do realize takedowns were only added into the series in Far Cry 3? that's 7 titles without the mechanic (including spin-offs) where as there's only 5 titles with the mechanic. So calling takedowns a staple mechanic of the series is the furthest from correct you could be. :rolleyes:

But anyway, there's got to be a sense of progression, however I do agree slightly with you that the inability to have takedowns on basic enemies at the start is a little strange, because you'd expect the closest outpost to have no Heavy's so the game starts off easier but gets more difficult as you explore more. Although I sense the developers made it that way so you could go around and explore a bit first before jumping into the outposts, so you can level up a little and gain a bit of gear.

Is it really fair to count all the various incarnations of the instincts games as separate titles? FC instincts predator was just a remaster of instincts/ evolution from the OG xbox gen to the 360 gen, and FC Vengence was the same as well, just made for the Wii with a new level or 2. Paradise lost is just an on rails arcade shooter of instincts as well. To me, it doesn't seem like a legit claim to say those are all separate titles without the takedown mechanic when they're all practically the same game just made for a variety of platforms.... Even being generous about it I think you can only say there are 4 titles prior to FC3. Also, since they were introduced, yes,I think it's safe to say takedowns have been a staple of the series, however they sadly seem to have taken a back seat and been de-emphasized rather than expanded upon of late....