PDA

View Full Version : Trials Rising for Switch in TV mode : a shameful blurry mess !

HazMath78
02-21-2019, 04:45 PM
I've tried the Nintendo Switch "open beta" (ie a limited-time demo and not at all a true beta) and I must say that, when played on TV mode, this game is blurry as hell, even worse than titles like Wolfenstein II or Doom.

I'm sure porting this game on Switch was everything except a true priority for the development team but this doesn't mean the game has to be released in such shameful state !

The way I see things is that the development team has over-compressed the visual assets, like what has been done for the so-called "Definitive Edition" of Rayman Legends in order to limit the global file size (which is roughly 33% of the PS4 or XB1 builds) and save money on cartridges. But, if this works quite fine on the 720p built-in screen, this makes the game a true blurry, unplayable, mess on 1080p TV screens.

Clearly, this is wrong from start to finish.

And what about this fog on the "Braking Bad" level ? We are back to good old N64 days, aren't we ?

The development team must fix this garbage as soon as possible... if it can. If you can't, it would be better to ask for some help from talented teams who have the required knowledge in that matter !

UbiMorning
02-22-2019, 06:22 PM
Hi HazMath78. Thanks for the report! We are sorry to hear about your experience with the Open Beta. Have you tried configuring your Switch's display settings to ensure it matches up with your TV? We would also recommend these Switch steps (https://support.ubi.com/en-GB/faqs/000027477/Basic-Nintendo-Switch-Troubleshooting/).

Brownd55
02-22-2019, 08:59 PM
Tried it as well and it's just like that, the game renders at upscaled low resolution, even in docked mode. Looks pretty ugly overall on 1080p, even the UI.

And yes, the system is updated to its latest version.

holderuphigh
02-23-2019, 12:41 AM
There is obviously a downgraded graphics on the switch as it is a switch, not close in terms of power of the ps4, xb1 or pc.
My worry was never the graphics, but the gameplay and depth on a switch, both of which they have achieved. It may be a poorer version graphically, but that shouldn't effect the way you play the game as to be honest, in a trials game I never focus on anything but my bike and the next jumps!
I hope the graphics improve in patches, but it hasn't dampened my excitement.

HazMath78
02-23-2019, 10:15 AM
I will consider you missed the point of my message.

This is not a problem on my side but a problem with the game itself and the way it is everything but optimized for the Switch hardware. It is only the fault of the development team which hasnít done its job properly, surely given the fact that the Switch version wasnít a priority neither for them nor for Ubisoft.

In TV mode, the game simply upscales a sub-720p image to 1080p and the results is blurry as hell, something that doesnít exist in handheld mode which is in full 720p resolution. I wonít add on the fog added on top of reduced visual elements on certain tracks that hinders the experience.

Releasing the game and selling it full price in that state is a really bad publicity for the revered Trials brand at the moment it finally reaches out to the Nintendo community, something that should have been done years ago.

RedLynx must really work hard on the Switch version post-release to give awaiting players the game they expected.

UbiMorning
02-23-2019, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the report guys! Do you guys have any screenshots or videos showcasing your issue on Switch?

JaxonH
02-24-2019, 05:30 AM
I think the Switch version definitely has room for improvement. Moreso in docked mode than handheld (which looks surprisingly good). Itís not a disaster or anything like the original post suggests, but itís not perfect either. I do hope the development team will spend a little more time touching up this version of the game. It doesnít seem like the same care was put into it as the other versions.

HazMath78
02-24-2019, 07:37 AM
If you want to see how both versions compares, simply go on Twitter or look at comparison videos. Sorry, I don’t know how to efficiently post screenshots here.

If the game was correctly optimized for the Switch hardware, such old-school method to hide the poor work made by the RedLynx tram behind this mess wouldn’t be necessary. And, if it is not a disaster, it is really close because this Trials game is the first on a Nintendo hardware and will show many players what this series is about and it won’t give them a good taste.

LIONDEN1
02-24-2019, 07:22 PM
It looks good in hand held mode to me, havent tried in docked, prob wont ever use it in docked mode anyway. I'm actually surprised how good it turned out on the switch even though some graphics had to be removed on some of the tracks, game play is great though.

LIONDEN1
02-24-2019, 07:41 PM
After seeing the full release game play on the switch, i'm even more surprised at how good it looks, ignore anything you see or read about the beta version.