PDA

View Full Version : Is there a reason the FPS is still capped at 60?

ImDempsey
02-21-2019, 11:48 AM
Would love to finally play trials on more than 60fps, but the FPS is unfortunately capped just like the previous games. Is there a specific reason for this?

TeriXeri
02-21-2019, 12:59 PM
The game is designed around 60 fps.

Game time and track triggers/delays are measured in ticks, 60 ticks per second.

This is to keep all players on the same timing for leaderboard and game mechanics like moving objects in game.

This is a screenshot from Trials Fusion editor, but the basics are the same, 60 ticks = 1 second, 1 tick = 1/60th of a second.

https://i.imgur.com/0IpmKSW.jpg

ImDempsey
02-21-2019, 01:37 PM
Right, I understand the game runs at 60 ticks per second, but many other games are also running at 60 ticks like Action Henk and SEUM (just to name some I play) and the FPS is uncapped and the in game times are consistent. I just don't quite understand why there is a need to cap FPS on Trials. It seems like it's just the way Redlynx decides to do it and they are sticking to it I guess.

ImDempsey
02-21-2019, 01:39 PM
Maybe there is something more I don't understand, but that's why I'm asking.

TeriXeri
02-21-2019, 02:04 PM
If the game ran above 60 fps, the time would speed up.

So for example 120 fps. The game, timer, and bike would run at 2x speed.

If the game ran at 30 fps , the game runs at half speed.

Ticks and Frames are directly tied together.

ImDempsey
02-21-2019, 02:54 PM
Uhh..Okay... If what your saying is correct than how do other games that run at 60 ticks and not have a capped frame rate not speed up past/slow down when fps goes above or below 60?

ImDempsey
02-21-2019, 03:08 PM
For example, portal 2 is another game which runs at 60 ticks, but fps is unlocked.

IImayneII
02-21-2019, 06:37 PM
It's because the game is for the most part physics based. Around your rider is a bubble that triggers the "physics" system for objects. This, trough the engine, is tied to the framerate. So if you have lower framerate everything goes slower, if you have higher framerate, everything goes faster. It's the reason why there are no rewinds in replays. Because inputs of tracks are stored, not a video replay of the track. so physics are again calculated based on the replay inputs, you can't really reverse it trough calculations.

rutkula
02-21-2019, 06:54 PM
My guess is that they've been using the same game engine, just modifying it along the years, which means they'd have to recreate the game in a modern game engine. They most likely would do it, but evaluated that making this switch is not worth the investment.

This is to keep all players on the same timing for leaderboard and game mechanics like moving objects in game.
reads like a laughable corporate statement.

martinnacka
02-21-2019, 10:29 PM
I came here to ask the same question, it shouldn't be impossible to make the game run at unlocked framerate. So many other games do it. Won't buy this on release but wait for a sale in the future because of this. Doesn't feel very 2019 at all.

IImayneII
02-22-2019, 12:50 AM
I believe it is to conserve consistency in the physics simulation the game needs.
This means you have a constant time step when otherwise a variable time step would produce more variable results in the simulation.

So the question would be, do you want more consistency in a game when it's what matters the most, assuming you hit the target fps ofcourse