PDA

View Full Version : Good Characters?

YatoGod0223
02-17-2019, 01:17 AM
I am going to get an xbox soon and am planning on getting For Honor. I have watched lots of gameplay but i am still not sure what characters are really good. i would love to here what the community has for me. Thanks!
-YatoGod0223

ChampionRuby50g
02-17-2019, 01:22 AM
Beserker is probably the best pick right now. Other than that, Warden is pretty easy to learn and is still strong. They would be my two top picks.

EvoX.
02-17-2019, 01:28 AM
Centurion would be your best bet, the undisputed newbie stomper.

Goat_of_Vermund
02-17-2019, 01:40 AM
I think you should try out more than one. First, you should find out what is your playstyle and pick by that choice. Unfortunately, some heroes are not viable at all, I would choose something that is if you want a more pleasent experience.

UbiInsulin
02-17-2019, 01:51 AM
The campaign is a good way to get a feel for things, as it cycles through the original roster.

When you're first starting, I'd recommend trying static guard heroes rather than Assassins, who have reflex guard. Static guard heroes "remember" which direction they're defending, but with reflex guard you always have to block on reaction.

ChampionRuby50g
02-17-2019, 01:58 AM
The campaign is a good way to get a feel for things, as it cycles through the original roster.

When you're first starting, I'd recommend trying static guard heroes rather than Assassins, who have reflex guard. Static guard heroes "remember" which direction they're defending, but with reflex guard you always have to block on reaction.

I haven't played through the campaign again recently, but last I heard all the heroes in the campaign are vanilla, meaning they dont have any of the updates given to them over the years. Meaning no Warden rework, Valk rewok, and this may seriously affect the player as they have to learn something new.

UbiInsulin
02-17-2019, 09:08 PM
I haven't played through the campaign again recently, but last I heard all the heroes in the campaign are vanilla, meaning they dont have any of the updates given to them over the years. Meaning no Warden rework, Valk rewok, and this may seriously affect the player as they have to learn something new.

Yep, that's a good point. But outside of going straight to online PvE or PvP, it seems like a good way to get to grips with the game's systems in general. Playing the PK mission in particular was pretty enlightening for me when I first started, which is why I mentioned reflex guard.

rottmeister
02-17-2019, 10:18 PM
Pick the screeching forest midget- I mean Shaman!

You get to bite people's necks! ;)

Honestly it completely depends on your playstyle. Just try out a bunch of them in training and decide who you like the best.

Illyrian_King
02-17-2019, 10:36 PM

The point about static guard is a good one, but the whole campaign heroes are still vanilla and a lot has changed. Basically whole reworks. This is a problem.

Halvtand
02-17-2019, 10:46 PM
You also don't even play using the whole vanilla roster. No love for Conqueror.

Tundra 793
02-17-2019, 10:51 PM
Same advice I've been giving since day 1; Pick a Hero you like, not just whichever one is most popular. Just try everything you can, see what fits you best.

If you play something you really like and enjoy, you can overcome any potential flaws and really excel. Even a bad hero can become great if you love them enough to master them.

Yep, that's a good point. But outside of going straight to online PvE or PvP, it seems like a good way to get to grips with the game's systems in general. Playing the PK mission in particular was pretty enlightening for me when I first started, which is why I mentioned reflex guard.

The Campaign's fun enough sure, decent little story in there, but ho-ho-holy reworks and imbalances Batman! The Campaign gameplay is night and day compared to multiplayer these days. The Campaign does not, in my opinion, prepare anyone for what they'll face even against the AI.
Play the Campaign for fun, do the Trials stuff to learn.

Some folk brought it up a long time ago, but the team should really take a good hard look at the Campaign, and decide what if anything, should be done with it. Honestly, if you jump from a Dominion PvP match into any Campaign mission, it's like you're playing a completely different game.

MrB3NX
02-17-2019, 11:07 PM

The campaign does not represent the actual PvP heroes

90% of their movesets are locked as if we're in tutorial !

The game would've been better without any PvE mode .

Vendelkin
02-18-2019, 01:35 AM
The game would've been better without any PvE mode .
I very very very much disagree with you there. Its a way to cool down and or lvl without as much stress. Pvai and the co op campaign were what got me to love the game. Also for newbies absolutely playing the campaign with a friend is a good choice. It is far more likely to get them immersed in the mechanics and enjoy the game. Everyone ive started in pvp matches immediatly plays 2-3rounds then claims the game is too rock paper scissory and quits.

Pvai is very important for the games community and as a training wheel.
And pvai games against straight lvl 3 bots is a challenge i personally very muh enjoy.

Vendelkin
02-18-2019, 01:36 AM
My point being, yeah the campaigns out dated, but its still the best tool to actually get someone invested in the game.

Tundra 793
02-18-2019, 02:01 AM
90% of their movesets are locked as if we're in tutorial !

Incorrect, the movesets in the Campaign are just what each of those heroes had at launch. Nothing's locked, it's just not been updated for like 3 years. There's both going to be missing moves, but also absent mechanics and different attack times.

EvoX.
02-18-2019, 06:00 AM

Terrible, terrible advice. You guys outdo yourselves with each post.

Siegfried-Z
02-18-2019, 03:35 PM
I would say Wulins all have an easy and very efficient kit.
Tiandi and JJ are very easy to use and both strong. Tiandi is good in both mode while JJ is only average in 1v1 but a 4v4 beast.

Otherwise, i would say Shugo or Kensei for the Samurais, Zerk or Shaman for Vikings and Warden, Conq Or Vortiger for Knights.

At low level any char are viable, but once you reach a higher bracket it is another story.

If you play on console, spammy char such as Roch or Nuxia are strong too.

But i would definitly advice you to try every char and feel it by yourself.

For exemple, my 2 fav char are Aramusha and Valk despite they are not considered as good pick at high level. I just have too much fun playing with them .

Kadete93
02-18-2019, 09:18 PM
i would recomend to use the hero you like most, and better if his playstyle is a simple one (just to start in the game... anyway you can change later). If you like him, you will have fun, and if his moveset is easy, you will reach a good performance faster (more fun)

I started with Kensei back in season 5 and i had a lot of fun as a newbie. Today im using many others but allways picking the heros i like.

who cares about tier list...

Klingentaenz3r
02-19-2019, 08:55 AM
Terrible, terrible advice. You guys outdo yourselves with each post.

I don't think so. Sure campaign is outdated in terms of movesets but he gets the basics down, will get to know the lore of for honor and hence understand some of those memes better, he can activate some nice engravings and has the possibility to experience a few different characters and how to deal with things in certain situations. Given though that mainly you play with Warden, Orochi and Raider while the other characters have usually much less missions. It's still a valid recommendation though.

He has plenty of other tutorial options after that to get a feel for the reworked versions of all the heroes and mechanics.

I would advice for this:

1. campaign
2. new tutorials
3. hero videos to get an overview what the characters can mainly do
4. hero tactics /practice mode
5. bot matches / online duels

In terms of hero pick I would also advice just go for preference.

papa_joseph1
02-21-2019, 09:29 AM
Whatever you do, don't get lured in by the big boi in plate armor, due to his current state he's miserable to learn the game in.

Inzzane_79
02-21-2019, 10:27 AM
Just pick any Wu-Lin Hero

ChampionRuby50g
02-21-2019, 10:42 AM
I don't think so. Sure campaign is outdated in terms of movesets but he gets the basics down, will get to know the lore of for honor and hence understand some of those memes better, he can activate some nice engravings and has the possibility to experience a few different characters and how to deal with things in certain situations. Given though that mainly you play with Warden, Orochi and Raider while the other characters have usually much less missions. It's still a valid recommendation though.

He has plenty of other tutorial options after that to get a feel for the reworked versions of all the heroes and mechanics.

I would advice for this:

1. campaign
2. new tutorials
3. hero videos to get an overview what the characters can mainly do
4. hero tactics /practice mode
5. bot matches / online duels

In terms of hero pick I would also advice just go for preference.

Nah, the campaign is not good if you want to learn the game. Sure itís great on lore side of thing and backstory, but then the player will have to learn a different moveset to one he already has, will be confused by new attacks used on him that he hasnít seen through the entire play throug, get used too different attack speeds from campaign to multiplayer as a lot of attacks have been sped up now, extra bashes etc. Itís not good because youíll just be spending more time learning and be further behind than if you jumped straight into practice mode, hero tactics and the new tutorial kinda thing they added.