PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Warlord changes

Prior_Heahmund
02-15-2019, 01:11 AM
I want to thank Ubi for the work put into this game and for the first good thing to happen to WL since the game came out. Unfortunately the change to damage
was not what was needed. I know Ubi does not ask me but as my Warlord is in the top .04% in almost ever category I feel like my thoughts should count
for something. His problem is not his damage it is his kit. His shield (compared to Conk and BP) has little use and utility. The stun off of parry can be done easier with a Raider with less set up. The shield charge can be done with a Raider as well. Zero unblockables and a heavy undodgeable (as well as a very high cost AOE) that can be used effectively if you are playing someone not paying attention. Our opener can be stopped with a light attack or a dodge while BP and Conq and JJ have an unblockable opener. Using a short 1 handed sword should allow for some nice mix ups and feints that others have but we lack entirely. I don't know what its like at lower reps but at high reps your feints and direction changes get blocked often. The Warlord is slow and predictable not as bad as Lawbro but in the same boat. With the evolution of the game and other heroes this damage buff feels like a quick fix in the hope of bumping his percentages.

UbiInsulin
02-15-2019, 11:21 PM
The changes were meant to eliminate Warlord's reliance on Out of Lock in 1v1 situations, and then compensate by giving him some new chains and better attacks.

Were the changes to Light Attack openers not enough, in your view? Can you explain your reasoning in a bit more detail? Thanks!

Light Attack Openers:
On a successful superior block, Light Attacks now gain Unblockable property
Top Superior Block Light Opener now does 29 Damage (up from 17)
Side Superior Block Light Opener now does 25 Damage (up from 13)

Jastorm187
02-15-2019, 11:21 PM
Agree fully, damage update only brought his damage up to par with the rest of the cast since he has always lagged behind... But they didnt fix our ability to land damage. We have the worst "bash light" in the game for the heroes that have a bash light. We are the only class that has a bash light that chains to nothing and only does 12 damage to boot, with a super high punish if missed.

Jastorm187
02-15-2019, 11:28 PM
The changes were meant to eliminate Warlord's reliance on Out of Lock in 1v1 situations, and then compensate by giving him some new chains and better attacks.

Were the changes to Light Attack openers not enough, in your view? Can you explain your reasoning in a bit more detail? Thanks!

Superior block attacks are great against heavy attacks, but in a light spam meta, they are luck if you get one. Also our hyper armor kicks in too late on heavies, so trading doesnt work against light spam, 400ms lights will knock us out of heavies before HA take effect.
Superior block lights should be our best answer to heavies and HA heavies should be our answer to light spam. The lights are fixed but heavy attacks should get hyper armor activated way soiner than it does currently.
To add to it, Headsplitter leap should be unblockable, and full block heavy after shield being hit should be guaranteed unblockable. (if no one hits shield then leave it as is)

Prior_Heahmund
02-16-2019, 02:42 AM
"The changes were meant to eliminate Warlord's reliance on Out of Lock in 1v1 situations, and then compensate by giving him some new chains and better attacks.
Light Attack Openers:
On a successful superior block, Light Attacks now gain Unblockable property
Top Superior Block Light Opener now does 29 Damage (up from 17)
Side Superior Block Light Opener now does 25 Damage (up from 13)"

These are good changes and helpful but to take advantage of it the WL must rely on the other persons attacks and not our own which takes away the incentive for them to lead with anything but unblockable openers. WL was designed to be able to trade blows (thus the hyper armor) but it activates just a touch to late. It would be unfair for it to activate to be able to be able to counter a light with it however the window is very small to be able and trade heavies with other heavies. Abilities like "Board and Blade" could be integrated into a successful block in "full block stance" by pushing a button ( just as conq and BP has the ability to do. Conq gets a free heavy and BP can flip you giving them and everyone around free damage.) The forward dash attack should be feintable. Additionally the ability to follow up after a missed headbut would be huge ( Palm Strike anyone). Personally I think the ability to have a soft feint into zone or even hard feint the heavy into a shield strike. The feats are not great either. T1 feats seem to be alright. T2 feats "Bear trap" unless you hide it is obvious and can be rolled out of- Flesh wound get the default- Juggernaut is so very useless. It takes way to long to activate and others can just avoid you as you walk slowly around the room. This could be a fantastic tool for a heavy to have, but it needs a bit of love. T3 Punch Through- useless. T4- Fire flask. Good damage, fast activation, can be used in doors. In short its great. Auto Revive-- meh takes to long at times and a bit buggy-- Regenerate ( BP has this at T2 and can use it at anytime). The "fix" for this made it all but useless.

Hormly
02-16-2019, 06:24 PM
That they completely ignored the blatant problems with his fullblock (confirms nothing against all but the OG cast) has convinced me that these devs are inexcusably incompetent, and that it is time to forget about coming back.

What's next for me? Possibly MK11

EvoX.
02-17-2019, 01:57 AM
That they completely ignored the blatant problems with his fullblock (confirms nothing against all but the OG cast) has convinced me that these devs are inexcusably incompetent, and that it is time to forget about coming back.

I can't understand why they didn't modify it as well, it's easily the worst AB in the game, but I guess an overdue fix and some generic number changes is the extent of their abilities, at least when it comes to free characters.

Jastorm187
02-17-2019, 03:17 AM
I can't understand why they didn't modify it as well, it's easily the worst AB in the game, but I guess an overdue fix and some generic number changes is the extent of their abilities, at least when it comes to free characters.

Actually its the second worst, valk has the worst. Although they are both broken and actually more of a hindrance than an effective tool. At least Warlord you can attack out of it. They broke the attack and the knockdown and slowed the charge so its an easy dodge and took away blocking during charge After so you can be hit out of it. It is even more useless than Warlords... And they did this during rework to "improve" valk. Apparently devs dont think vikings know how to use shields.

UbiInsulin
02-17-2019, 09:10 PM
Superior block attacks are great against heavy attacks, but in a light spam meta, they are luck if you get one. Also our hyper armor kicks in too late on heavies, so trading doesnt work against light spam, 400ms lights will knock us out of heavies before HA take effect.
Superior block lights should be our best answer to heavies and HA heavies should be our answer to light spam. The lights are fixed but heavy attacks should get hyper armor activated way soiner than it does currently.
To add to it, Headsplitter leap should be unblockable, and full block heavy after shield being hit should be guaranteed unblockable. (if no one hits shield then leave it as is)

Appreciate your response, thanks!

Hormly
02-17-2019, 10:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5OQ67owHY0

Heres an updated video showcasing the warlords max punishes, start watching at 4:50 for an in depth breakdown of every issue with WL's allblock.

1) the light counter is blockable on all characters, therefore guarantees nothing and us useless
2) the heavy counter follows the old rules, as it is guaranteed so long as the enemy struck your top or right side....... However those rules go out the window when you face any of the new characters, against which this also becomes blockable, rendering it useless also.

This isnt just weak, its a programming hatchet job. Inconsistent and fundamentally broken at its core.

As I see it there are only two things we can take from the devs skipping this issue;

1) They were unaware, which is shocking and demonstrates that the dev team is disconnected entirely
2) They were aware, but didnt bother or didnt have the time to fix it, and instead conveniently forgot to mention it, which is also very concerning

EvoX.
02-17-2019, 10:49 PM
Actually its the second worst, valk has the worst.

Valk's AB can be used to escape and even punish a lot of bash-based offense in the game which is otherwise hard to deal with, such as Warden's SB mix-up. It's a much better tool than Warlord's.

Jastorm187
02-18-2019, 12:46 AM
Valk's AB can be used to escape and even punish a lot of bash-based offense in the game which is otherwise hard to deal with, such as Warden's SB mix-up. It's a much better tool than Warlord's.

Interesting though. I guess I miss the pre-rework all block. Although what you are saying is using it like orochi back dodge liggt and not as an all block stance.