PDA

View Full Version : Potential explanation for the "not receiving contract" problem.

E-Zekiel
12-19-2011, 01:37 PM
TL;DR/Long and short of it: Connection issues. Not really a bug/problem inherent in the game, but connection issues, which is more networking problems than game mechanics. Maybe dedicated servers would remedy this, but...it is what it is.

Cross posted from another thread:

I think what causes this is connection issues with other players. Have you ever played in the same room (as in, physically, not game lobby) as another player, simultaneously? Or perhaps over webcam while streaming video?

I have noticed from playing with a friend that we don't always see the same players in a match. Not that we see DIFFERENT players - but sometimes, one of us (usually not me, I'm the one with the super premium connection) will not see some of the players. When I kill said invisible player, he sees me killing nothing. When killed by said player, he sees me go through the death animation as if I'm going insane and reacting to nothing.

Our theory is that what causes these contract errors is when the game is TRYING to give you this player that's legitimately in the match, but running into errors because you cannot actually see said player, so it cannot give you the contract for that person.

Anyway, just thought I'd provide some insight. Not really stating an opinion here, just theories from observations.

Edit:

Solution? The only real solution is to get a better connection (IE a different ISP or a higher premium service). This isn't viable for everybody, I know, but it explains why I don't have persistent lag issues that some people complain about. Sure, it happens sometimes, but it's maybe 1/20th to 1/12th of my games...So it's very uncommon, as opposed to some who have issues like every game.

marq08
12-19-2011, 01:43 PM
I have a friend who has this problem where he never gets a contract in 90% of our games. He can see all the players but he never gets any contracts or pursuers. He had the same issue in brotherhood

I think it is a connection issue but not between the players.

Crumplecorn
12-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Connection issues won't fix a ****ty algorithm.

DigDug510
12-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Not sure what changed from ACB to ACR as far as connection stuff goes. But if it is a connection issue, seems like it would have been a problem in AC:B, too.

My theory is that it is out-thinking itself and won't give contracts based on XYZFPQR variables.

This guy is too close, this guy is in sixth place, this guy has three pursuers already, etc, etc, etc.

Another reason I would wonder about connection lies in pursuer count. I never have a problem with pursuers being assigned, usually have two or three. It seems like if connection was a problem as far as receiving contracts, it would also be a problem in being assigned as a contract to someone else.

I don't have answers, though. Just some ideas on explaining why some of us get the shaft more often than others.

najzere
12-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by digdug510:
This guy is too close...
LOL it definitely doesn't take that into consideration!

gothpunkboy89
12-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by najzere:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by digdug510:
This guy is too close...
LOL it definitely doesn't take that into consideration! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no game mode does.

get a hunter who is right next to you. Or spawning you right next to your hunter or worse spawning your hunter right next to you.

Proximity is not taken into account in this game.

obliviondoll
12-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Not to mention that in ACB the "no contract" glitch happened, and you could be assigned an invisible player as a target.

behrskins
12-19-2011, 06:26 PM
I don't think it's a connection issue. I have the best connection I can get. (I need it more for my business than anything else)

DigDug510
12-19-2011, 06:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by digdug510:
This guy is too close...
LOL it definitely doesn't take that into consideration! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that part was made in jest, but you get the point...

Crumplecorn
12-19-2011, 07:08 PM
This guy is too close...
LOL it definitely doesn't take that into consideration! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>And since it knows how to give saviour and poacher bonuses, the game obviously has code to say "Is this player near their target/pursuer", so it wouldn't be hard to simlpy not assign contracts which violate that rule.

lockerxzx
12-19-2011, 07:14 PM
As far as I know, this issue happens when there are 4-6 players in the match and you're in the 1st or 2nd place. So I would blame ubisoft server for this.

deadly_thought
12-19-2011, 07:30 PM
(insert generic smart *** forum comment here)

and no this happened on adsl2 connection before i moved still happens on my temporary connection wich works fine for gears halo and any other multiplayer i use

its a bug

fordio
12-20-2011, 05:09 AM
I had similar connection problems with ACB and ACR. People lagging/warping around the map, smokebomb timing issues etc.
I installed some 3rd party firmware to my router years ago that allows me, among other things, to adjust the signal to noise ratio (SNR) on my line. Thus increasing or decreasing my download speed as I see fit.

I was having problems in other online games, but no where near the degree of the Assassins Creed games. For instance in call of duty, uncharted, people just seemed to soak up bullets and I would frequently get killed when behind walls.
It had slipped my mind that I had lowered the signal to noise ratio, increasing my speed to 11mb quite a while ago, to help me download some rather large files.

I logged into my router and my line was clocking up a rather large amount of errors, coupled with the fact my line is on a fastpath profile not interleaving. (So no error correction was taking place.)
I increased my SNR value, which lowered my line speed back to around 7mb. This practically eliminated the large majority of errors on my line, so I am now only clocking about 10 errors per day.

This has subsequently cleaned up all my online gameplay, the Assassins Creed series seeing the biggest difference. No longer do I see people warping around or lagging, I also have not had any glitchy animations. Smokebomb now stops people dead in their tracks, however mute is still a bit laggy (But this is probably an inherent issue with the duration of the ability, and my connections natural ping time)

I would urge anyone with lag or general glitchyness to double check their router stats, and ensure that their line is not clocking up an unreasonable amount of errors. If it is, get onto your ISP to see if they can change your line profile.

On a final note, when I play at my girlfriends place over her wireless, I have the same sort of issues, just not to such a severe degree. Her connection is actually very solid, because she lives a stones throw from the local exchange.
If your playing over a wireless connection, I would try grabbing an Ethernet cable and checking to see if wired makes any difference to your play. The way in which wireless operates, means you will always potentially drop a number of packets.

Hope this helps http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

obliviondoll
12-20-2011, 06:04 AM
Good advice fordio.

I've tried all of it on my ADSL2+ connection (which is also close to the exchange), and had no luck improving the quality of my gameplay.

I'm not going to say it doesn't work, because for many people it will, but it's worth keeping in mind that for some of us, AC MP is just plain broken, and has been since March.

Also worth a further disclaimer that I don't have ACR, and still refuse to buy it until ACB is working again.

luckyto
12-20-2011, 08:19 AM
I poisoned the wrong player in a morph group last night at about the 7 minute mark. The entire rest of the match played out with me NEVER becoming a target or being assigned a target... though I could see people being killed around me (with a kind of framerate drop.) Right at the end, every single player dropped out simultaneously. I was given 1st place with only 2 kills, 16 accolades and 17 credits... basically for sitting there with a drink and a cigarette.