PDA

View Full Version : Vista

J.M.LLOYD
03-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Hi all. I have been thinking of buying myself Microsofts new operating system VISTA, it promises to be so much better than XP ?.I did read that it caused problems with internet connections after being installed,but does it have a positive side....thanks

J.M.LLOYD
03-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Hi all. I have been thinking of buying myself Microsofts new operating system VISTA, it promises to be so much better than XP ?.I did read that it caused problems with internet connections after being installed,but does it have a positive side....thanks

VW-IceFire
03-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Don't believe the hype. Marketing hype is bad.

Vista is a bit of a tough choice right now. Lots of people will be along shortly to tell you its ****. And they aren't all wrong...its had quite a few issues and some serious concerns for a variety of different applications.

The biggest problem with Vista right now is driver support. There are still quite a few buggy drivers and most companies are scrambling to get it sorted out. Printer, video, sound, you name it and there are problems. For games the initial benchmarks have been aweful...Vista in some tests lost something like 15%-25% frame rate on games tested between WinXP and Windows Vista.

That all said...its getting better. The last set of benchmarks I saw showed Vista gaining and in some places matched or bested WinXP.

But one thing is certain...if you don't have a new computer its simply not worth it if you're a gamer. If your the average person, your computer is a year old or less, then it might be worth it if you wanted to bother with some of the new features (which are mostly glitzy, in some cases useful, in some cases generally better for security but still not rock solid).

If you're buying a new computer...then you have no choice. But in those instances...its generally fine. But gaming will probably suffer for another few months until things get sorted out.

jarink
03-16-2007, 07:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
If you're buying a new computer...then you have no choice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not completely accurate. While it's true that nearly all of the major vendors are no longer offering XP licenses (unless you find an old PC that's been on a shelf or warehouse), "white box" vendors will still be able to offer OEM licenses of XP until <span class="ev_code_yellow">January 2009</span>.

MS Windows Lifecycle (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx)

MaxMhz
03-16-2007, 08:08 PM
So now that we didn't fall for their WoW hype (they try it with their lifecycle policy...
oh well they'll probably shift the date on that into the future too when the time comes.

J.M.LLOYD
03-17-2007, 05:53 AM
Thanks Ice Fire for that information regarding the pros and cons of Vista, I shall stay with XP until the dust has settled with Vista.Cheers

Ugly_Kid
03-17-2007, 06:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
If you're buying a new computer...then you have no choice. But in those instances...its generally fine. But gaming will probably suffer for another few months until things get sorted out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well this is also a tough one - most likely you'll get a new computer with 64bit architecture but then on the other hand would you choose 32bit Vista or 64bit Vista. Since there are problems with drives and compability I'd assume them to be even worse on 64bit, eventually they should be solved and 64bit should be the way to go to the future - so if you now bought a computer it might run better with 32bit Vista but then on the other hand you might be stuck with an old fashioned OS in the coming years - knowing Windows licensing policy you would have to pay once more for getting 64bit version...

Werre_Fsck
03-17-2007, 08:20 AM
It's a steaming pile of winblows, just like XP. Bigger, with more visual polish. You have to be prepared to surgigally remove your left testicle when the crapload of DRM built in it demands it.

Forget it. It's not an "operating system", it's a DRM-laden "operating hindrance system" and BoB will not require it so there is absolutely nothing speaking FOR it but hundreds of reasons AGAINST it.

VW-IceFire
03-17-2007, 08:33 AM
Can anyone produce any good documents on the DRM hindrances of Vista. I haven't run into anything with DRM in RC1 for any of the test applications...

I'm firmly against the kind of obtrusive DRM that some companies are insisting on but I haven't seen much of it in Vista. Just people complaining that it exists...

LStarosta
03-17-2007, 09:24 AM
I likes my operating systems like I likes me womens: good looking, three dimensional, and transparent.

Vista is okay by me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

AKA_TAGERT
03-17-2007, 11:35 AM
NICE!

bazzaah2
03-17-2007, 12:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LStarosta:
I likes my operating systems like I likes me womens: good looking, three dimensional, and transparent.

Vista is okay by me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you mean like this?

http://bp2.blogger.com/_ESuQyzAB5XE/RaZ9wJx2LuI/AAAAAAAAAAM/cD1wPI24Ywk/s320/trasparent.png

NonWonderDog
03-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Don't believe all the anti-Microsoft bullocks floating around, either. Vista doesn't so much have DRM as support DRM. As far as I know, Vista DRM doesn't prevent you from doing anything you can currently do in XP. You can download all the unprotected media you want, legal or not, and Vista DRM support won't even know. It's only activated if the media itself is DRM protected, and it doesn't add DRM protection to anything.

All it really does is provide an encrypted display route for DRM'd media--currently only HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. The only thing it prevents is copying DRM'd media at full quality. You can't copy (or play?) DRM'd media at full quality in XP, either. I'm not actually sure how HD-DVD playback works in XP SP2, but I'm pretty sure you have to download the DRM update for WMP 11 first.

Unfortunately, MPAA et al. have lobbied for DRM to be extended into hardware. In order to play DRM protected MPAA movies, you'll eventually have to have a DRM compatible video card and a DRM compatible monitor (most HDTVs sold in the last couple years are DRM compatible, by the way). Vista just adds support for DRM'd content to go over the hardware DRM pathway. I don't like the concept at all, and I don't think anyone should have to stand for it, but it's not Microsoft's idea. They don't seem to object to it, though...

general_kalle
03-17-2007, 01:34 PM
first. its probably best not to buy vista before the first service packs are out and drivers are in order.

second. vista has so much extra things that it requires much more computer just to run it.
therefore i believ XP will always be better to games.

BUT vista is probably also much better what cencerns non gaming purposes. dunno

LStarosta
03-17-2007, 01:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by general_kalle:
first. its probably best not to buy vista before the first service packs are out and drivers are in order.

second. vista has so much extra things that it requires much more computer just to run it.
therefore i believ XP will always be better to games.

BUT vista is probably also much better what cencerns non gaming purposes. dunno </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very detailed analysis thx!

LStarosta
03-17-2007, 01:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bazzaah2:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LStarosta:

Vista is okay by me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you mean like this?

http://bp2.blogger.com/_ESuQyzAB5XE/RaZ9wJx2LuI/AAAAAAAAAAM/cD1wPI24Ywk/s320/trasparent.png </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Veddy niiiiiice. Sexy time!!!

BrewsterPilot
03-17-2007, 01:49 PM
http://brewsterpilot.googlepages.com/Untitled-1.jpg

jarink
03-17-2007, 02:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bazzaah2:
you mean like this?

http://bp2.blogger.com/_ESuQyzAB5XE/RaZ9wJx2LuI/AAAAAAAAAAM/cD1wPI24Ywk/s320/trasparent.png </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's hard to tell from the pic, but is that Nove...er...SuSE Linux?

I know SuSE can do a rotaing cube virtual desktop thingy.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

bazzaah2
03-17-2007, 02:41 PM
It's Ubuntu Edgy with Beryl.

Werre_Fsck
03-18-2007, 08:09 AM
It's Ubuntu Edgy with Beryl. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use Edgy+Beryl at work. Niiice but woefully unstable. It crashes on sucking ATI mobility radeon at least once a week.