PDA

View Full Version : Dev Diary #2: Sharing Is Caring

Ubi-MrDrPink
02-04-2019, 02:10 PM
https://static2.ubi.com/pxm/Trials/DevDiaries/DD2-Title-Banner.jpg

Hello, Riders!

In our last article (https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1984902-Dev-Diary-1-Customization-and-Custom-Tracks), we looked at new and returning features that give the players the power to customize their own bike, rider, and tracks in Trials Rising. Today, we’re going to talk to you a bit about how creators will be able to share their content with Trials players around the globe.

https://static2.ubi.com/pxm/Trials/DevDiaries/DD2-Loading_Riders_Composite.jpg

Sharing is Caring

In Trials Rising you’ll be able to share your creations like never before. Custom Rider gear, bike skins, and tracks can all be shared with other players via the Gear Store and Track Central. For the first time in the Trials series sharing custom creations will not only add an extra level of challenge and creativity to the experience, but will also come with in-game rewards.

https://static2.ubi.com/pxm/Trials/DevDiaries/DD2-Customization.png

The rewards received for sharing customizations or tracks will be influenced by the Trials Rising community. For customization items, the cost of the customization is calculated based on all of the stickers used to create it. Each time a customization is sold the creator will receive a percentage of the purchase price. For tracks, creators receive 10 Trials Coins per up-vote with a cap of 1,000 Coins per track.*

“Trials Rising was designed from the ground up to be a platform for user generated content,” says Game Designer Volodymyr Gerasimov when asked about the new sharing rewards. “With item customization being the newest addition to the Trials series and the map making community continuing to support us over the years, we want to send a message that the creations they are making are as much a part of the Trials experience as setting new time records or racing in multiplayer.”

Gear Store

https://static2.ubi.com/pxm/Trials/DevDiaries/DD2-Gear_Store.png

The Gear Store will be the hub for sharing or finding the freshest new gear for your bike and rider. It will feature original items created by our team here at RedLynx as well as items customized and shared by other players. You can even take items you download from Gear Store and customize them further to create the perfect piece of gear for your bike or rider. Items downloaded from the Gear Store and customized further can only be equiped to the bike or rider of the player who made the changes. They cannot be re-shared to the Gear Store as a new item unless all stickers have been cleared and a new customization is started from scratch.**

Track Central

https://static2.ubi.com/pxm/Trials/DevDiaries/DD2-Track_Central.jpg

Track Central is where you will be able to satisfy all of your custom track needs. New tracks will be uploaded daily so there is always something new to try any time you load up Trials Rising. Our returning players may notice some cool new updates to Track Central. While the sorting criteria used in Trials Evo & Fusion’s feeds will still play a big role, when you enter Track Central in Trials Rising you will be able to immediately access tracks instead of a list of feeds you can select to explore further.

“There are lots of quality of life improvements aimed to make the large catalogue of tracks more manageable,” Says Volodymyr about updates to Track Central. “Search functionality was extended to include more parameters that can later be saved as a filter. Want to see which tracks you have previously played? Upvoted? How about tracks that your friends liked? All of that will be available via special filters. Ninja is now an official difficulty level in Track Central and it will be much easier to find tracks like that if that’s your cup of tea."

https://static2.ubi.com/pxm/Trials/DevDiaries/DD2-TC_Filters.jpg

Find yourself liking a track from a specific creator and would like to see more from them? Use the custom filter feature to save a search for that creator. Use this custom filter to quickly access tracks by that player and stay up to date with their latest creations. Along with improved searching, we have added a “Play Later” option. This will allow you to browse the catalogue and create a personal playlist of tracks you wish to try.

February 26 is just the beginning. We have even more features and improvements we’d like to implement for Track Central during the post-launch, so keep your eyes open for more information to come.

Thanks for checking out this week’s Trials Rising Development diary. Tune in next week when we’ll take a deep dive into the in-game economy. What will you be earning as you make your way through Rising’s worldwide Trials competition and how can you use it? We’ll cover all that right here, next week. Until then, we’ll see you on the leaderboards.

Edit notes:

* The values originally shared in this dev diary regarding Track Central rewards for up-votes were not up to date according to the design for the feature. The reward for up-votes on Track Central were lowered during testing as it was found that the system was too easy to exploit.
** Further details have been added to the section regarding editing items from the Gear Store to address concerns that someone might try to re-share another player's work

Psyhodelik
02-04-2019, 04:36 PM
Sharing is Caring <3

The_McCheshire
02-04-2019, 05:33 PM
Are you guys able to tell us if these really nice additions are shared cross-platform ? :D

TheRedKnightMC
02-04-2019, 06:11 PM
Yeahhhhh! I can't wait to share my creations online :D!

TheRedKnightMC
02-04-2019, 06:13 PM
NINJA DIFFCULTY CONFIRMED GUYS look at the last image that's awesome :cool::D!!

AurisTFG
02-04-2019, 07:27 PM
Can we get something like "pass X in-game ninja tracks before you can upload your track as a ninja" please? Don't want to get ninjas section flooded by MyTracks from Day 1 already, thanks :D

Oregon_Pacifist
02-04-2019, 09:38 PM
I mentioned this on Twitter but didn't get a reply:

"You can even take items you download from Gear Store and customize them further to create the perfect piece of gear for your bike or rider"

I'm not sure if I like this. Someone could spend hours making the perfect design, then someone can download & tweak it? Can they re-upload it? That would be lame if someone downloaded someone else's design, changed it a bit and then re-uploaded it as their own. Can you take credit for someone else's work? Can you confirm or deny this, RedLynx?

Willyums
02-05-2019, 12:15 AM
appreciate these posts and really liking what I'm seeing so far.

one really tiny thing though - the difficulty symbols look kinda weak to me, like the first 6 noob ranks of a call of duty game.

attila-999
02-05-2019, 08:27 AM
if I heard correctly, there is no object sharing created in the track editor, so
no created object sharing or object animations

it's a shame, however what is presented here is good!

Core2TOM
02-05-2019, 12:38 PM
sounds great so far! :)

i have a question about the difficulty levels: in the editor you can use 20 different difficulty levels for your track (if i remember correctly that was showcased on one of shadys latest videos) so you can tell i.e. if it's an easy extreme or hard extreme or ninja lvl1 or ninja lvl7. but this track central screenshot above only shows symbols for 6 difficulty levels (beginner up to ninja) is there a way we can filter the mentioned 20 difficulty levels in track central search?

Ubi-MrDrPink
02-05-2019, 01:11 PM
"You can even take items you download from Gear Store and customize them further to create the perfect piece of gear for your bike or rider"

I'm not sure if I like this. Someone could spend hours making the perfect design, then someone can download & tweak it? Can they re-upload it? That would be lame if someone downloaded someone else's design, changed it a bit and then re-uploaded it as their own. Can you take credit for someone else's work? Can you confirm or deny this, RedLynx?

Some additional information has been added to the OP, hopefully this will provide the answer to your question:

Items downloaded from the Gear Store and customized further can only be equiped to the bike or rider of the player who made the changes. They cannot be re-shared to the Gear Store as a new item unless all stickers have been cleared and a new customization is started from scratch

sounds great so far! :)

i have a question about the difficulty levels: in the editor you can use 20 different difficulty levels for your track (if i remember correctly that was showcased on one of shadys latest videos) so you can tell i.e. if it's an easy extreme or hard extreme or ninja lvl1 or ninja lvl7. but this track central screenshot above only shows symbols for 6 difficulty levels (beginner up to ninja) is there a way we can filter the mentioned 20 difficulty levels in track central search?

While in the Editor, it's possible to select between 20 different difficulty levels when designing your track. However, in Track Central, it will only be possible to filter between the different ranks of difficulty (beginner - ninja) rather than the (ninja) level of difficulty presented in the Editor. What do you think, maybe this is something we should see implemented further down the line?

The_McCheshire
02-08-2019, 12:35 AM
While in the Editor, it's possible to select between 20 different difficulty levels when designing your track. However, in Track Central, it will only be possible to filter between the different ranks of difficulty (beginner - ninja) rather than the (ninja) level of difficulty presented in the Editor. What do you think, maybe this is something we should see implemented further down the line?

This would be great actually, It was only a few days ago when I personally wanted to practice ninja tracks as I haven't really touched any. Specifically searching for ninja 1's would be hugely helpful :D

Core2TOM
02-08-2019, 12:45 PM
While in the Editor, it's possible to select between 20 different difficulty levels when designing your track. However, in Track Central, it will only be possible to filter between the different ranks of difficulty (beginner - ninja) rather than the (ninja) level of difficulty presented in the Editor.

what's the point of having 20 difficulty levels then? the idea of having much more difficulty levels is great, but if you can't see these in career or track central it's more confusing than helpful to anyone.

Ubi-MrDrPink
02-08-2019, 01:41 PM
what's the point of having 20 difficulty levels then? the idea of having much more difficulty levels is great, but if you can't see these in career or track central it's more confusing than helpful to anyone.

I'll be happy to let the development team know this!

Gulzt
02-08-2019, 07:51 PM
This would be great actually, It was only a few days ago when I personally wanted to practice ninja tracks as I haven't really touched any. Specifically searching for ninja 1's would be hugely helpful :D

You might be interested in reading my post. The bot I developed is helping a lot of people finding the right tracks for their level, see for yourself:
https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1946884-TrialsReporter-A-discord-bot-to-help-the-community-get-better-at-Trials

Willyums
02-08-2019, 08:02 PM
20 difficulties? where's that come from? seems like an insane amount to me - a lot of players got their difficulties wrong just with Beginner-Extreme, having 20 would be a right mess

Core2TOM
02-09-2019, 11:18 AM
here you can see the difficulty scale in the editor: https://youtu.be/3qFmxrHedjg thanks to Storm Psykoz

01 Easier Beginner
02 Harder Beginner
03 Easier Easy
04 Harder Easy
05 Easier Medium
06 Medium Medium (really lol)
07 Harder Medium
08 Easier Hard
09 Medium Hard
10 Harder Hard
11 Easier Extreme
12 Medium Extreme
13 Harder Extreme
14 Ninja Level 1
15 Ninja Level 2
16 Ninja Level 3
17 Ninja Level 4
18 Ninja Level 5
19 Ninja Level 6
20 Ninja Level 7

Willyums
02-09-2019, 03:32 PM
thanks for the link. seems like a really bad idea to me though damn.

purpleoozi
02-10-2019, 01:39 AM
here you can see the difficulty scale in the editor: https://youtu.be/3qFmxrHedjg thanks to Storm Psykoz

01 Easier Beginner
02 Harder Beginner
03 Easier Easy
04 Harder Easy
05 Easier Medium
06 Medium Medium (really lol)
07 Harder Medium
08 Easier Hard
09 Medium Hard
10 Harder Hard
11 Easier Extreme
12 Medium Extreme
13 Harder Extreme
14 Ninja Level 1
15 Ninja Level 2
16 Ninja Level 3
17 Ninja Level 4
18 Ninja Level 5
19 Ninja Level 6
20 Ninja Level 7

.....No

Beginner, easy, medium, hard, extreme. Ninja 1-7 I'm on board with. Every other difficulty should be scrapped.

Also.. If anything, you should add a "creator recommended bike" i.e. what the creator tested with or intended the track to be run with by the track name (assuming they leave open multiple bikes) so I don't have to guess or watch a replay before I load into a track only to find out I chose wrong.

100% of the time when I see medium difficulty I'm jumping on the roach and loading into the track. But then once I start running the track I'll sometimes find out it's a medium track that would've been better on the pit viper and now I'm all butt hurt because I have to load out, change bikes, and load back in, only to realize I'm still bad at the game and it doesn't matter which bike I'm on but still.. wasted time.. idk

giantmoosefan
02-10-2019, 02:58 AM
Can we get something like "pass X in-game ninja tracks before you can upload your track as a ninja" please? Don't want to get ninjas section flooded by MyTracks from Day 1 already, thanks :D

This sounds like a very good idea so we don't get overloaded with troll tracks
by people who buy the game and lose interest after a few weeks
because they can't pass medium.

Maybe it can also apply to all difficulties.

A message like "Congratulations! You passed x hard tracks, and can
now publish hard tracks to Track Central." can show up.

Of course the tracks that must be passed should only be from career, to avoid
people abusing the system by publishing "Ninja" tracks that are just a
start & end point (which people can play just to gain the ability to publish ninjas).

Maybe this applies to any tracks within a given difficulty.
For example beating an easy extreme or a hard extreme will all
unlock the ability to publish any extreme.

Likewise beating a lvl 1 ninja will allow one to publish lvl 7 ninjas
because at the higher ninja lvls, there are few that can beat them
and many high lvl ninja track creators cannot pass their own creations.

giantmoosefan
02-10-2019, 03:10 AM

I'm with Core2TOM on this one.
We should be able to search by the same criteria as is available in the editor.

Having more difficulties to choose from will be better so we can more precisely
choose the difficulty we want to play.

If you make it so a player can not upload tracks of a given difficulty,
unless they first beat X tracks from career of that difficulty*,
that will make it so players are at least familiar with
how to properly label their tracks.

As well as filter out many of the trolls who don't stick around long
enough to know how to make (or beat) a good hard/extreme/ninja track
from publishing them.

Maybe this applies to any tracks within a given difficulty.
For example beating an easy extreme or a hard extreme will all
unlock the ability to publish any extreme.

Likewise beating a lvl 1 ninja will allow one to publish lvl 7 ninjas
because at the higher ninja lvls, there are few that can beat them
and many high lvl ninja track creators cannot pass their own creations.

Core2TOM
02-10-2019, 11:24 AM
Beginner, easy, medium, hard, extreme. Ninja 1-7 I'm on board with. Every other difficulty should be scrapped.

one additional easier/harder difficulty level for each hard and extreme make sense (and ninja 1-7 of course) and maybe even the easier beginner difficulty could be useful for people who build those "don't move" tracks that doesn't require any player input. so i'm ok with a total of 15 difficulty levels for track central. the career is a different story.

Gulzt
02-11-2019, 10:09 AM
Not sure why you should stop at ninja 7. For fusion we defined ninja 8, it's not unthinkable we go beyond.

Willyums
02-11-2019, 11:34 AM
Having the tools to filter difficulty that precisely is only useful if the people making tracks have sufficient knowledge and experience with the game to label them that precisely - and 99%+ won't. No point being able to search for "medium medium" tracks if most of those tracks are labelled incorrectly anyway.
Track difficulty isn't defined or objective enough for that many options to be of any value. It will just confuse people and cause a million disagreements on track difficulty.

Ninja difficulty is a little different because each level is (or at least used to be) as broad as the regular difficulties, rather than being one difficulty split into a several parts. And as Gulzt says, it's open ended and might need room to grow. But even then if you give people the option of labelling them 1-8, for every track you find with the right level attached, there will likely be 100 tracks with the wrong level.

I think adding more complexity will make it harder to find the tracks you're looking for, not easier, because it will be harder to label them properly. Keep it simple.

attila-999
02-11-2019, 01:17 PM
https://static2.ubi.com/pxm/Trials/DevDiaries/DD2-Title-Banner.jpg

Edit notes:

* The values originally shared in this dev diary regarding Track Central rewards for up-votes were not up to date according to the design for the feature. The reward for up-votes on Track Central were lowered during testing as it was found that the system was too easy to exploit.

think of impossible stairs
even at a single point / for a green thumb .... I take and this will be my first track, for many points "without creativity" !!!!

exemple IMPOSSIBLE STAIRS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI44PbIS7mM

AM0RPHOUS
02-11-2019, 01:36 PM
I hope there is a limit on how many tracks you can upload in a day. If there isn't people are just going to spam track central with crappy tracks for coins.

attila-999
02-11-2019, 01:47 PM
yes , AM0RPHOUS , you are perfectly right, however, if I can afford: think of a TEAM (of Five) for example who distributes 5 tracks (quality) in one evening ..... I think some gamertag must be put to the filter gap .....

AM0RPHOUS
02-11-2019, 02:06 PM
If certain builders get verified like with the wrench in evo or something that could work. But I don't see them doing that.

attila-999
02-11-2019, 02:28 PM
thank you, I also thought about the return of the key, you know it may be impossible to launch the game, but they will necessarily update ..... provided that the game is moving towards excellence !

as they say in France: impossible is not "french"
and now, impossible is not REDLYNX, we must believe it!

attila-999
02-11-2019, 03:24 PM
the topic 3 of Trials Rising developers arrives in how long ?????