PDA

View Full Version : A request for a patch with difficulty settings

Altair778
11-21-2007, 06:19 PM
I know this has been said before, but the thing that hurts this game the most in my eye is difficulty. First of all, I am a fanboy, and a dedicated one at that. The fact that you can jsut walk up and easily kill your target isnt a product of anything else but difficulty. The developers even provided other ways to reach your target, the positions of archers, where your target will be.(you get these maps through pickpocket investigation missions) So why not give experinced palyers a chance to use them. Why not make that "kill 25 soldiers without dying" acheviment something to be really proud of? Why not make chases exciting and desprate, and in many chases resulting in the players death. Why not?
While it might not be possible for them to patch difficulty settings in, please put them in the next game.

Altair778
11-21-2007, 06:19 PM
I know this has been said before, but the thing that hurts this game the most in my eye is difficulty. First of all, I am a fanboy, and a dedicated one at that. The fact that you can jsut walk up and easily kill your target isnt a product of anything else but difficulty. The developers even provided other ways to reach your target, the positions of archers, where your target will be.(you get these maps through pickpocket investigation missions) So why not give experinced palyers a chance to use them. Why not make that "kill 25 soldiers without dying" acheviment something to be really proud of? Why not make chases exciting and desprate, and in many chases resulting in the players death. Why not?
While it might not be possible for them to patch difficulty settings in, please put them in the next game.

stuburns
11-21-2007, 06:24 PM
That is beyond any patch I'm afriad, that is a different game. I suspect a sequal is your only chance.

The game is far too easy, once you have counter you don't even need to run away, you never get hurt, and certainly never enough to die because you recover so fast.

But it's adding difficulties is something you might want in the game not something they want or they would have included it.

Patches are for fixing things, not adding things.

fulukai
11-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Not true. It all depends on how you make the game difficult. Changing the AI is a big deal and I don't see a patch altering it. However, something as simple as a slider to control damage shouldnt be (as suggested in http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/3381022016 ).

If this were a PC game, a modder wouldve already released a patch by now to fix this. I only wish they fix this in the console versions.

BTOG46
11-21-2007, 06:31 PM
patches are also used for adding things too, they aren't always just used for bug fixes.
This may be more common on the Pc though than consoles, but in the first patch for Settlers six it added extra control buttons and features as well as some bug fixes, the second patch added a map editor.
So patches CAN deliver extra features and content.

stuburns
11-21-2007, 06:43 PM
True they can, but this is about if they will, and you can download extra content for many games on PSN, and no doubt Xbox Live, but not for free.

Assassin's Creed is a hit, they've already made a lot of cash, they might fix the issues with the game but things like difficulty are personnal preference, I think it's far too easy but my flatmate is really happy with that, so it's about taste.

Maybe there will be a new version released with improved AI, difficulties, additional challanges etc. But that stuff is a major over haulf of the game.

Maybe I'm wrong, I guess we'll have to see, but I certainly wouldn't put my money on a difficulty patch being released.

Feynir
11-21-2007, 06:43 PM
I was just about to write a post about this! Yes, I think the difficulty is way too easy, but I've an idea for a patch that should be much easier to put in.

Ubisoft just needs to patch in a difficulty setting which sets all guards to informed mode, or the high alert mode, even the archers. So you'll really have to look around before you do anything. This would make social stealth very important, which is what the game is lacking even tho it's one of the main aspects. They should already have a setting for this in fact, and that is after an assassination, when the bells go ringing, and all the guards are set to high alert mode. It shouldn't be too hard to port this to a difficulty setting, without the bells ringing obviously.

Or at the very least fix the problem where suspicious guards are sopposed to turn informed after they give 1 warning like the manual so states.

stuburns
11-21-2007, 06:54 PM
Them being alert isn't the problem, the problem is they aren't good enough, you can kill 20 of them without taking a hit, the district runs out of soliders so you can just stand there.

My suggestion, don't make counter attack work all the time, give 25% hit rate. And cut the blocking down to about 50%.

That will make a massive difference I think.

unnamedninja
11-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Be nice if counters were more difficult to pull off, i don't like the idea of them becoming random. Just a smaller time window would be better. Anyone who has gotten good at just frame moves in Tekken games will find countering on assassin's a joke.

Feynir
11-21-2007, 07:02 PM
Actually I believe alertness is one of the main problems with difficulty, and should be relatively easy to patch in. As for combat AI, I think the problem is that counter-attacks are 100% hit, when they should be counter-able. If they make counter-attacks counter-able, it'll be much harder to kill them and combat would last way longer. I think blocking is quite fine as it seems sometimes you can't block from some angle at your back, altho the guards need to use their break-guard skill more often when altair is in guard mode.

Fastr77
11-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Fact is some games have released downloadable content to increase difficult. For example.. Blue dragon, you can dl (for free mind you) a hard and ultra hard mode. there is another game doing it.. I can't think of the name tho :/

bioshock just released a free dl update.. it added a 100 point achievement for beating the game on hard without dying, doesn't exactly change the difficulty but people claimed it was to easy, so if you don't have that achievement shut up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif oh, btw, I can't confirm thats exactly what the achievement is because I havn't had a change to get it yet (its a secret achievement, damnit)

so yeah, anyways, they could do a dl content to increase the difficulty.

dirtybird21
11-22-2007, 02:33 AM
The difficutly doesn't usually bother me until the chases, sure the fighting is easy but atleast it's still fun, It's different from fighting in most other games. But they talked 2 much about the chases for this game, I thought it would be a real chore 2 get rid of people but it's WAY 2 easy 2 lose them, Ironically i also idon't like the fact that gaurds can do everything you can do, I wish they could run faster, Or set up traps or something but couldn't do as much as you. Also you can JOG away from gaurds most times, The reason for this being they run really slowly 80% of the time for seemingly no reason, They'll sprint all the sudden then start jogging again... It would also be cool 2 be chased by someone who was FASTER than you, That would take alot of skill and quick thinking...

unnamedninja
11-22-2007, 09:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dirtybird21:
But they talked 2 much about the chases for this game, I thought it would be a real chore 2 get rid of people but it's WAY 2 easy 2 lose them </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well they have to make the game accessible to people, they're probably aware that a lot of underaged kids and casual gamers will be playing this game, despite it's mature rating. So they have to keep it easy and sell lots of copies.

Personally i've been playing games for 23 years, it doesnt take long to take apart the combat and escape mechanics and find very simple ways to beat them. If i'm playing a game and i'm not challenged by it i'm not interested in it. If i wanted to watch something pretty and not be challenged by it i could watch a movie.

luke100
11-22-2007, 09:25 AM
try to turn of the HUD

unnamedninja
11-22-2007, 09:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course i have the HUD off.

Feynir
11-22-2007, 09:32 AM
There was this one time in jerusalem where I was chased and ran through the market and was about to reach one of the exits when a row of 4 black clothed men showed up and blocked it, and I was like wow, the AI can actually do that. There were a few times where soldiers were waiting after a turn I made but it was only 1 or 2, nothing like that 1 time from the market. I think it should happen more often, makes the chase really exciting when you have to change your route all of a sudden due to blockades.

The more I think about it, the more I need to have a patch where all the guards are informed, high alert mode.

unnamedninja
11-22-2007, 09:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Feynir:
There were a few times where soldiers were waiting after a turn I made but it was only 1 or 2, nothing like that 1 time from the market. I think it should happen more often, makes the chase really exciting when you have to change your route all of a sudden due to blockades. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey you might wanna try this thing i do as well, dont rescue any of the thieves or scholars, just kill the guards and run away without talking to the person, that way the city doesn't fill up with people wanting to help you, of course that makes it a bit harder to escape.

The bonus is that it also adds replay to the game, because if you dont talk to the person, guards will respawn around them later and you can "save" them again. When everything in the game is done i'll be able to be like this superhero guy who keeps saving thieves and not getting any credit for it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

fulukai
11-30-2007, 09:34 PM
***POSSIBLE SPOILER BELOW***

having completed the game, it is clear that the difficulty level increases gradually throughout finally reaching a decent challenge in the end missions..i especially had trouble in the last mission in Acre (after falling in the water a countless times) and also the final boss battles w/ Robert and his henchman...the game did this by not only throwing more guards at you, but reducing the effectiveness of the counter-attacks (no longer one shot kill, and also requires better timing), adding more aggressive enemy moves that break your defense etc.

now imagine if you had the option to make all the assassinations and guard fights in the game as hard as the end ones..while it may make the game frustrating, it certainly would require you to plan your assassinations (and getaway) more carefully and actually use the info learnt during the investigations..now that would make the game infinitely cool..

i really hope Ubi answers our prayers with a difficulty patch!

METELHEAD9000
12-01-2007, 02:01 AM
i agree and disagree because the final missions where you fight the assassins being controled be Al'Maulim are very difficalt even though they only only take one counter to kill because they attack together and use gaurd break and kill combos but the rest of the game after block 2 when you get counter and a full bar of sync then it is a breez but it is still enjoyable... if you can find enough people to get in a fight with at least