PDA

View Full Version : Why History Editions?

aestarr
01-24-2019, 07:36 AM
Hi all,

I was looking up news and couldn't find any information regarding why Ubisoft had released History Editions?

What I can gather is that Blue Byte released each Settlers game up until 2001 when they were acquired by Ubisoft. Then there were about 4 titles (and a remaster) released under Ubisoft - Blue Byte as well as sales of the original 4. This week the History Editions were released on Steam, and a partial removal of the post-2001 titles happened (Settlers 7 DLC still have store pages).

So what changed at Blue Byte or Ubisoft to make History Editions and remove the original editions? I wouldn't think it was a legal thing, because these were developed and even sold after the acquisition by Ubisoft. Was this just a marketing issue to revamp and resell the series?

I'm just curious, and any news articles about it would be helpful. Also, there's a bunch of Steam users going nuts over not having access to the History Editions despite owning the original copies.

Ubi-Thorlof
01-24-2019, 03:01 PM
Hey aestarr,

the History Editions were released to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the series. And with a new The Settlers in the making revisiting the old titles might not be a bad idea either ;)

The History Editons basically are re-releases including all addons and DLC and are made compatible with modern OS. They also feature a few improvements like support for higher resolution for the older games.
On Steam The Settlers 5-7 were already available in their original versions. We now replaced them with the History Editions. The DLC are still there for The Settlers 7 since people who own the old version of the game might still want to buy a DLC at some point - so we left this option there.

If you already own the original versions and have no issues with them either, there's not much reason to go for the History Editions - except if you're really into multiplayer.