PDA

View Full Version : 6-DOF Translation with Respect to Virtual Head in BoB Please

MrQBerrt
12-14-2005, 01:22 PM
All TrackIR 6DOF games I've played translate relative to the players real world head. I would like translation to happen with respect to the virtual/in-game head.

For example, say I'm looking left 90 degrees out the side of my plane, and I lean my real-world head to the right. I believe that my virtual head should move towards the front of the plane, but other games implement this so that the head moves toward the right of the plane. The issue is, what is left relative to? I think this should be an option. Make translation relative to virtual, real/world head according to what each user wants.

P.S. I realize that you might not have any control over this and as such have also posted this same request over at the NaturalPoint forums.

MrQBerrt
12-14-2005, 01:22 PM
All TrackIR 6DOF games I've played translate relative to the players real world head. I would like translation to happen with respect to the virtual/in-game head.

For example, say I'm looking left 90 degrees out the side of my plane, and I lean my real-world head to the right. I believe that my virtual head should move towards the front of the plane, but other games implement this so that the head moves toward the right of the plane. The issue is, what is left relative to? I think this should be an option. Make translation relative to virtual, real/world head according to what each user wants.

P.S. I realize that you might not have any control over this and as such have also posted this same request over at the NaturalPoint forums.

hobnail
12-14-2005, 02:45 PM
I did a search (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=search&reqWords=6DOF&use_forum_scope=on&forum_scope=63110913)for "6DOF" and got 8 pages of results, how many did you get?

MrQBerrt
12-14-2005, 03:40 PM
I did a search (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=search&reqWords=Translation) for "Translation" and got 167 pages of results.

In other words, what's your point mate?

ZG77_Lignite
12-14-2005, 04:02 PM
Thats a good request Peccator, I hadn't realized that TrackIR didn't have that correct. Could it be that this is actually a TrackIR issue, and not a game coding one? It would be another improvement in the immersion level. Perhaps TIR5?

MrQBerrt
12-15-2005, 09:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Perhaps TIR5 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hopefully they wont need to go to those lengths, a software update should be all that is necessary.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Could it be that this is actually a TrackIR issue </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, I think so. I posted this same thread over there hoping that they will fix it. But I don't really know what type of info the TrackIR gives to the game. Maybe Oleg gets head position updates from the trackir (making it a trackIR problem) or maybe he gets delta's (making it the game developers problem).

From what I know about this type of programming (I've done a little), all they need is to rethink their translation/rotation matrices and all should be well. I actually have the code burried around in some old project I did in college, it really shouldn't be difficult for them to achieve if they actually sit down to do it. I'm just worried that no one will bother, hence I'm trying to bring the issue up so that someone will go to the effort.

Cheers