PDA

View Full Version : I think the writers at Disney may be wildlands fans

Glass_Ghost
01-21-2019, 02:56 AM
I saw Black Panther for the first time a few days ago, and the description of Erik Killmongers service record given by the CIA agent Everret Ross seemed very simalar to Operation Kingslayer in Ghost recon wildlands.

"Went straight to Afghanistan, where he racked up confirmed kills like it was a video game. Started calling himself Killmonger. He joined a JSOC ghost unit, now these guys are serious, they would drop off the grid so they could commit assassinations."

Snumsmumrik_07
01-22-2019, 10:57 AM
Black Panther is such a crap ... Comparing it to Wildlands shows Ghost Recon in a bad light :D

B_616e6f6e
01-22-2019, 11:11 AM
black panther is such a crap ... Comparing it to wildlands shows ghost recon in a bad light :d

raccisms >:=(

Snumsmumrik_07
01-22-2019, 12:27 PM
B_616e6f6e, wait what? So saying any film is bad because of bad scenario and actors playing is now a racism, or only when key character is somehow different from "europeans color palette"? :D

Bone_Frog
01-22-2019, 12:46 PM
I saw Black Panther for the first time a few days ago, and the description of Erik Killmongers service record given by the CIA agent Everret Ross seemed very simalar to Operation Kingslayer in Ghost recon wildlands.

"Went straight to Afghanistan, where he racked up confirmed kills like it was a video game. Started calling himself Killmonger. He joined a JSOC ghost unit, now these guys are serious, they would drop off the grid so they could commit assassinations."

Those sorts of units have popped up from time to time. Mac-V-SOG in Vietnam. Roy Boehm was a part of one(can't remember the operational name) pulling off assassinations in Cuba. You had Red Cell that operated out of ST6 in the 80's. You hunt around in google and you will find some open source stuff about SOG today in the war on terror.

Even aside from that, dropping off the grid to do bad things to bad people is part of what Tier 1 operators do. Your pager goes off, you have an hour to get back to base to load out, and your family and friends don't hear from you again for a few weeks(or months). So it has become a trope in movies, and bad fiction(i.e. Dan Brown books). You want a super BAMF, they are some sort of JSOC super secret ghost group. Though honestly if you are looking for super hard core lone wolf type stuff, IMO the Punisher series got it right, take a Marine Scout Sniper. To people in the know, solo, they are far more scary.

Glass_Ghost
01-22-2019, 10:54 PM
Guys let's check the raccism accusations and potential comments at the door.

To be honest I didnt think I'd enjoy the movie that much.I live in Australia so I assumed the characters and plot would be boring and unrelateable. I am glad I was wrong, and found it to be one of the more enjoyable movies in the marvel franchise. Granted the accents were sometimes difficalt to understand, but that's what subtitles are for.

Ghost-Ami
01-23-2019, 01:45 AM
Those sorts of units have popped up from time to time. Mac-V-SOG in Vietnam. Roy Boehm was a part of one(can't remember the operational name) pulling off assassinations in Cuba. You had Red Cell that operated out of ST6 in the 80's. You hunt around in google and you will find some open source stuff about SOG today in the war on terror.

Even aside from that, dropping off the grid to do bad things to bad people is part of what Tier 1 operators do. Your pager goes off, you have an hour to get back to base to load out, and your family and friends don't hear from you again for a few weeks(or months). So it has become a trope in movies, and bad fiction(i.e. Dan Brown books). You want a super BAMF, they are some sort of JSOC super secret ghost group. Though honestly if you are looking for super hard core lone wolf type stuff, IMO the Punisher series got it right, take a Marine Scout Sniper. To people in the know, solo, they are far more scary.

I'm so pumped for season two of The Punisher. Other than Luke Cage I think it's the best made and most meaningful of all MCU series or films.

Playing a bit of catchup at the moment though, just started season three of Daredevil. Must. Watch. In order. XD

GiveMeTactical
01-23-2019, 02:01 AM
I guess now I know where UBI is getting the idea of the crossovers, well... kinda

I hate nothing more than having to watch another series I am not watching, or that I am but not so frequent, because the next episode will be on that other series.

I did not that Marvel had so many super heros... jeeessshh.

Bone_Frog
01-23-2019, 03:58 AM
I guess now I know where UBI is getting the idea of the crossovers, well... kinda

I hate nothing more than having to watch another series I am not watching, or that I am but not so frequent, because the next episode will be on that other series.

I did not that Marvel had so many super heros... jeeessshh.

As far as the Marvel shows, they are all stand alone, aside from Defenders, which was a one off. Characters from other shows may pop in(they do all live in the same neighborhood of NY), but you don't get the kind of crossover that DC comics puts in their shows, where literally you have to watch every other DC show to get the complete story line of your own.

Ghost-Ami
01-23-2019, 05:14 AM
As far as the Marvel shows, they are all stand alone, aside from Defenders, which was a one off. Characters from other shows may pop in(they do all live in the same neighborhood of NY), but you don't get the kind of crossover that DC comics puts in their shows, where literally you have to watch every other DC show to get the complete story line of your own.

It should be noted that the Defenders live in different neighbourhoods (Hell's Kitchen, Harlem, Chinatown, et cetera), just the same borough (Manhattan). XD

And speaking of things that should be noted it's a bit misleading in the OP's title to say the MCU is authored by "writers at Disney" when Walt Disney Studios don't actually create any MCU content, they just handle marketing and distribution of their subsidiary's (Marvel Studios) content. I know it's a fad these days to say of Star Wars and Marvel "LOL, Disney", but I think it gives people an unrealistic idea of how much media conglomerates govern artistic creation, kinda like saying Rupert Murdoch writes Predator movies. XD

And I am absolutely mad for shared universes and crossovers, I adore the way the DC Arrowverse gets four part episodes where one part each is in Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, and Legends of Tomorrow. I wait until entire seasons are out and then binge watch all four of them in the order the episodes air which is unusually one of each, then one more of each, then one more of each.

But back to Marvel. Personally I think the Netflix MCU series have a good balance of referencing each other and feeling like a shared universe, but I feel they don't reference events in other MCU content so well. Civil War had almost no impact at all on the Defenders, you get a mention of the Raft in season two of Jessica Jones, but that's just about it. And they'll never use the word Chitari or Avengers, they'll just talk about "The Incident", and they always say "the big green guy" instead of "Hulk", and it took them forever to namedrop Cap or Iron Man.

It also doesn't help that none of the Defenders showed up to fight Thanos, and you never even see at least Nick Fury or some other more minor Avengers character hanging around in the Defenders shows as he occasionally does in Agents of SHIELD.

I'm sure all of this is some sort of legal rubbish between Netflix and Disney that interferes with the Avengers and Defenders content really integrating, but I wish they'd just bloody well fix it. Given the choice I would always, always, always rather enjoy a shared universe where there's always more content to be enjoyed and more connexions to be made.

Oh, as a final note about the standaloneness of the Defenders shows: To anyone thinking about watching just The Punisher just for some good military drama (GMT maybe?) do yourself a favour and at least watch Daredevil. The Punisher is introduced in season two of that before he gets his own show, and in some ways his content there is actually better than in his own show. There's this scene in a cemetery....well, you'll see exactly what I mean if you give it a go. ))))

Ghost416
01-24-2019, 12:25 PM
I'm watching season 2 of Daredevil right now and Castle seems a lot more reckless around innocent civilians than he was in his own show. His attack on the hospital was cringe-worthy. No experienced shooter, especially one of Castle's caliber (no pun intended), would be firing away in the midst of that panicked mob.

Ghost-Ami
01-24-2019, 07:59 PM
I'm watching season 2 of Daredevil right now and Castle seems a lot more reckless around innocent civilians than he was in his own show. His attack on the hospital was cringe-worthy. No experienced shooter, especially one of Castle's caliber (no pun intended), would be firing away in the midst of that panicked mob.

Well, that's a bit of a "no true Scotsman", but, yes, he is far more reckless earlier in his vendetta. Part of it is that brain damage they talk about in his trial and such where he is massively jacked up all the time and has not yet learned to cope with how fresh his family's death is every time he opens his eyes.

One reason I like this portrayal of Frank Castle so much is that he comes out of his coma a bit of a mad dog but spends much of both Daredevil and his own series struggling to reconnect with his humanity and his professionalism as a soldier.

Between Murdoch, Page, Hoyle, Madani, and the Liebermans showing him a bit of kindness along the way it allows him to rebuild a sense of family after losing both his wife/kids and his unit to death and betrayal. And to at least begin to heal the wounds on his psyche.

It's certainly one of the better antihero stories I've ever come across. ))))

Ubi-Lucipus
01-25-2019, 12:16 PM
As much as I enjoy the conversation you guys have got going here, I think it's best suited for the off topic section since it's now moved on to other topics :)

Moved.