PDA

View Full Version : ...so I flew a real F-16 yesterday (not sim) and a validation of IL-2

UberDemon
10-02-2004, 03:55 PM
[I thought Oleg would enjoy this...]

...so I flew a real F-16 yesterday (not sim) and a validation of IL-2

http://www.uberdemon.com/pictures/udf0000.JPG

I apologize for the lack of updates on UQMG lately, especially related to the mission briefer... but I had other matters in mind.

As the pilot started to explain to me the flight procedures I told him that due to my father's experience as a pilot, I had the chance to informally sit and get a feel for flying in a variety of planes including helicopters. I also told the pilot about my involvement with flight simulators, etc... With that info the pilot felt free to throw all sorts of flying jargon, which I promptly understood.

I stuck a "sickness bag" (actually 2) between my flight suit and my G-suit; I was ready for major puking, as I hear some pilots like to have "casualties" in the back seat.

The crew chief helped me throught the cockpit setup which I had been trained on, and made sure I was ready in the back seat. After all pre-flight checks we taxied to the runway. It was time to take off. My adrenaline levels must have been as high as the first time I met my girlfriend's (now wife) father.

We took off on full after-burner. My first real experience with G-forces just happened... the back of my body was very heavy. I saw the ground become distant in a few seconds. But I survived. Next the pilot did a few high G maneuvers to test the G-suits... we were good. I survived those too... my first time experiencing real G-force... the breathing and body posturing training in combination with the G-suit paid off. I did not pass out... although I must say it was a rush experimenting with 4G's from the get go. This was all very fast. We were already fairly high.

http://www.uberdemon.com/pictures/udf0001.JPG

Suddenly I noticed the beauty of it all. High, looking down. I see why my father loved flying, especially as a fighter pilot in a P-80. I told the pilot that over the intercom, and although I did not see it, I know he smiled, then he agreed with me. You see, I was so fortunate to have a very experienced pilot.

I hoped that I would have the chance to at least have a feel of how it felt to fly this plane... Heck, touching the joystick would be good enough. (Hell! touching the plane would be just as good!!!). The pilot then told me, "Demian, you got control..." OK, and whatever, I though... but alas, I touched the joystick and I was flying the F-16. Maybe not a huge accomplishment to most, but to me it meant the world.

Knowing fully that the pilot was the commander I asked him if I could experiment with it, without going into anything crazy. The pilot said yes. So I did some light rolling and pitching... what a rush, even though it was not that significant. Negative G's were not pleasant at all... it is like getting drunk in a second and then feeling like you will die. It really sucks. Positive G's are easy to deal with as long as you breath right and, of course, you have a G-suit.

The pilot then said... "...you got a handle on it, how about a roll? Get the nose up a bit then go either left or right on the joystick..." I told the pilot I'd do a Port roll, he agreed, and I did it. WOA! It was great because I felt the turning motion, but I messed it up completely... It was not like IL-2. This is a high performance jet fighter; I let the joystick go too soon. Soooo.... I tried the right side (starboard), and it was a lot better. The pilot told me I was doing good... either that, or he was trying to make me feel good.

Regardless, I was in pure euphoria. "How about a loop?" You are kidding... So after I went to the heading the pilot indicated, I went down to about 10,000 feet, then I put full throttle, pulled the stick all the way back and felt the G-force building up.... man! what a rush. The pilot guided me throught the motions. "You are doing good." I breath correctly and keep looking at the HUD and to the sides... boy... that must have been the uglyest loop ever, I was too excited, so there was some rolling going on... but the pilot never took control from me... I guess I was not screwing up to bad.

Suddenly... I am upside down, looking into the world... I am ready to come back. I am still pulling back on the stick and I dive straight down... mind you in a jet fighter... I don't think that is such a great idea to go down at full throttle. The pilot tells me what to do... next thing I am pulling high G's again to get back to where I was around 10,000 feet. I see mountain tops and clouds... man... what a day...

Because I am not a rated pilot, I can go only so high, so we get close to my ceiling and we do something similar to a split-s... that is turn upside down and loop back the other way, except we go in the same direction. The pilot tells me I am doing allright... so it is time for some combat training... hmm what?

We found a bogey, and he had me track it down... then we simulate "shooting it". Then we find a ground target, and we "blow it up". Of course, all simulated- we don't have real ammo.

At this the pilot is just telling me the waypoints and I am flying the F-16, but I am getting a bit more cocky... I am pulling G's at every turn just for the fun of it because I have a handle on it. I repeat all acrobatic maneuvers for fun, and even do another loop... much better this time.

Here are some more pics:

http://www.uberdemon.com/pictures/udf0002.JPG
http://www.uberdemon.com/pictures/udf0003.JPG
http://www.uberdemon.com/pictures/udf0004.JPG
http://www.uberdemon.com/pictures/udf0005.JPG

The pilot says that we need to land. "Sir, I release control". "Demian, I got it." We go back to the base for a "butter" landing... a really good landing. The pilot taxis it to the starting point. He states there were no casualties... that means I did not puke. The crew chief is happy; no cleaning. He told me we pulled 6G's max in the flight, which is fine by me.

We went back to the fighter-pilot bar and got two large beer mugs filled with ******ss. We went to analyse the flight tapes. He showed me the maneuvers that we did. We talked for a while but it was not until I said something to the effect that the flight went very fast that the pilot said: "Of course it did... you did all the work, I just messed around with the other systems..." Not true of course... the pilot did the two most dangerous parts of flying, which are take-off and landing. He told me the mission was over an hour.

I flew an F-16 for about an hour. I did not realize that until he told me that. After watching the tape I got to see all my maneuers from the 12 o'clock perspective...

Kind of like the Il-2 tracks, right?

Not sure how many average "Joes" have gotten a chance to touch, must less fly something like the F-16, but alas I did yesterday. Very surreal if you ask me.

When I looked down into the landscape, I felt a lot like when I fly my missions in the Normandy maps. IL-2 is really an outstanding flight simulator, and I know that comparing it to a jet is not optimal, but heck, I felt some of the same things up there as I feel with IL-2... the main differences are that I was going really fast, and that I felt the physical repercussions of G-forces.

I am still in a state of awe... I got to actually fly an F-16. From what little I know, I can predict that the F-16 will be around for some years to come. What a delightfull plane it is to fly... anyway. Time for a few drinks.

Demon/UberDemon

UberDemon
10-02-2004, 03:55 PM
[I thought Oleg would enjoy this...]

...so I flew a real F-16 yesterday (not sim) and a validation of IL-2

http://www.uberdemon.com/pictures/udf0000.JPG

I apologize for the lack of updates on UQMG lately, especially related to the mission briefer... but I had other matters in mind.

As the pilot started to explain to me the flight procedures I told him that due to my father's experience as a pilot, I had the chance to informally sit and get a feel for flying in a variety of planes including helicopters. I also told the pilot about my involvement with flight simulators, etc... With that info the pilot felt free to throw all sorts of flying jargon, which I promptly understood.

I stuck a "sickness bag" (actually 2) between my flight suit and my G-suit; I was ready for major puking, as I hear some pilots like to have "casualties" in the back seat.

The crew chief helped me throught the cockpit setup which I had been trained on, and made sure I was ready in the back seat. After all pre-flight checks we taxied to the runway. It was time to take off. My adrenaline levels must have been as high as the first time I met my girlfriend's (now wife) father.

We took off on full after-burner. My first real experience with G-forces just happened... the back of my body was very heavy. I saw the ground become distant in a few seconds. But I survived. Next the pilot did a few high G maneuvers to test the G-suits... we were good. I survived those too... my first time experiencing real G-force... the breathing and body posturing training in combination with the G-suit paid off. I did not pass out... although I must say it was a rush experimenting with 4G's from the get go. This was all very fast. We were already fairly high.

http://www.uberdemon.com/pictures/udf0001.JPG

Suddenly I noticed the beauty of it all. High, looking down. I see why my father loved flying, especially as a fighter pilot in a P-80. I told the pilot that over the intercom, and although I did not see it, I know he smiled, then he agreed with me. You see, I was so fortunate to have a very experienced pilot.

I hoped that I would have the chance to at least have a feel of how it felt to fly this plane... Heck, touching the joystick would be good enough. (Hell! touching the plane would be just as good!!!). The pilot then told me, "Demian, you got control..." OK, and whatever, I though... but alas, I touched the joystick and I was flying the F-16. Maybe not a huge accomplishment to most, but to me it meant the world.

Knowing fully that the pilot was the commander I asked him if I could experiment with it, without going into anything crazy. The pilot said yes. So I did some light rolling and pitching... what a rush, even though it was not that significant. Negative G's were not pleasant at all... it is like getting drunk in a second and then feeling like you will die. It really sucks. Positive G's are easy to deal with as long as you breath right and, of course, you have a G-suit.

The pilot then said... "...you got a handle on it, how about a roll? Get the nose up a bit then go either left or right on the joystick..." I told the pilot I'd do a Port roll, he agreed, and I did it. WOA! It was great because I felt the turning motion, but I messed it up completely... It was not like IL-2. This is a high performance jet fighter; I let the joystick go too soon. Soooo.... I tried the right side (starboard), and it was a lot better. The pilot told me I was doing good... either that, or he was trying to make me feel good.

Regardless, I was in pure euphoria. "How about a loop?" You are kidding... So after I went to the heading the pilot indicated, I went down to about 10,000 feet, then I put full throttle, pulled the stick all the way back and felt the G-force building up.... man! what a rush. The pilot guided me throught the motions. "You are doing good." I breath correctly and keep looking at the HUD and to the sides... boy... that must have been the uglyest loop ever, I was too excited, so there was some rolling going on... but the pilot never took control from me... I guess I was not screwing up to bad.

Suddenly... I am upside down, looking into the world... I am ready to come back. I am still pulling back on the stick and I dive straight down... mind you in a jet fighter... I don't think that is such a great idea to go down at full throttle. The pilot tells me what to do... next thing I am pulling high G's again to get back to where I was around 10,000 feet. I see mountain tops and clouds... man... what a day...

Because I am not a rated pilot, I can go only so high, so we get close to my ceiling and we do something similar to a split-s... that is turn upside down and loop back the other way, except we go in the same direction. The pilot tells me I am doing allright... so it is time for some combat training... hmm what?

We found a bogey, and he had me track it down... then we simulate "shooting it". Then we find a ground target, and we "blow it up". Of course, all simulated- we don't have real ammo.

At this the pilot is just telling me the waypoints and I am flying the F-16, but I am getting a bit more cocky... I am pulling G's at every turn just for the fun of it because I have a handle on it. I repeat all acrobatic maneuvers for fun, and even do another loop... much better this time.

Here are some more pics:

http://www.uberdemon.com/pictures/udf0002.JPG
http://www.uberdemon.com/pictures/udf0003.JPG
http://www.uberdemon.com/pictures/udf0004.JPG
http://www.uberdemon.com/pictures/udf0005.JPG

The pilot says that we need to land. "Sir, I release control". "Demian, I got it." We go back to the base for a "butter" landing... a really good landing. The pilot taxis it to the starting point. He states there were no casualties... that means I did not puke. The crew chief is happy; no cleaning. He told me we pulled 6G's max in the flight, which is fine by me.

We went back to the fighter-pilot bar and got two large beer mugs filled with ******ss. We went to analyse the flight tapes. He showed me the maneuvers that we did. We talked for a while but it was not until I said something to the effect that the flight went very fast that the pilot said: "Of course it did... you did all the work, I just messed around with the other systems..." Not true of course... the pilot did the two most dangerous parts of flying, which are take-off and landing. He told me the mission was over an hour.

I flew an F-16 for about an hour. I did not realize that until he told me that. After watching the tape I got to see all my maneuers from the 12 o'clock perspective...

Kind of like the Il-2 tracks, right?

Not sure how many average "Joes" have gotten a chance to touch, must less fly something like the F-16, but alas I did yesterday. Very surreal if you ask me.

When I looked down into the landscape, I felt a lot like when I fly my missions in the Normandy maps. IL-2 is really an outstanding flight simulator, and I know that comparing it to a jet is not optimal, but heck, I felt some of the same things up there as I feel with IL-2... the main differences are that I was going really fast, and that I felt the physical repercussions of G-forces.

I am still in a state of awe... I got to actually fly an F-16. From what little I know, I can predict that the F-16 will be around for some years to come. What a delightfull plane it is to fly... anyway. Time for a few drinks.

Demon/UberDemon

robban75
10-02-2004, 04:25 PM
Great read, thanks for sharing! You are one lucky man! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Zen--
10-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Thats amazing! Nice story and very well written, I felt kind of like I was there with you. Well done http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I know you must still be reliving every moment in your mind.

Awsome!

LEXX_Luthor
10-02-2004, 04:58 PM
Awsum.

They let you go supersonic?

F~16 old timer:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We found a bogey, and he had me track it down... then we simulate "shooting it". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tell more about this "tracking" down thing. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

UberDemon
10-02-2004, 05:56 PM
robban75,

Yes, I think I am very lucky. My only regret is that my wife was not there to witness it in real life. She is with her parents right now. When I talked to her over the phone she was happy... but not totally, I could tell.

Zen--

I tried to write it from my perspective up there... by the way, interesting username... speaking of Zen... you know how pilots are superstitious... I carried my father's flight cap with me in this flight... I do believe he was up there guiding me.

LEXX_Luthor

Ha! No, unfortunately not... we were over folk's country so even at a nice altitude you could have caused windows to break... we did up to .9 Mach.

As far as tracking, the pilot switched the HUD around to targeting, and he found a bogey. He told me to asume it was a bandit then he told me to track it. That was fun because it was a lot like IL-2 in padlock mode. I went after it and after a positive match (lining up the target) I had a shot... that is, something that would be very hard to miss. Of course we had no armed weapons. The target was a commercial plane that was way above the ceiling we could fly because I am not a rated pilot.

Demon/Uberdemon

JG14_Josf
10-02-2004, 06:41 PM
UberDemon,

Thank you very much for that well written account. I too could almost feel the G force as I read it.

Please consider reading Boyd (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0316881465/qid=1096763916/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-7137582-6642214?v=glance&s=books) by Robert Coram if you haven't already read it.

I think you will get a whole lot of enjoyment from that book. Well...not as much enjoyment as piloting an F-16! Do you know how much those things cost? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks again

Mucho

LEXX_Luthor
10-02-2004, 10:54 PM
Thanks uber

UberDemon
10-03-2004, 02:31 AM
JG14_Josf,

I was inspired when I wrote it... I still feel like I am flying. Actually, I was exhausted. I think I slept a good 12 hours yesterday. G-forces I guess; plus you have to do a lot of concentration. Yeah, I hear the F-16 is worth a few bucks... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LEXX_Luther,

You are quite welcome.

TheGozr
10-03-2004, 02:58 AM
That's Exelent and fantastic.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ImpStarDuece
10-03-2004, 11:35 PM
Thanks Uber .takes me back about 5 years

I once got a ride in a Checz L39 Albatross trainer/light attack, which was one of the best 20 min of my life. Pulled 5G (no suit) and came *this* close to both puking and blacking out on the flight. Got to pull a couple of turns, did a loop, barrell roll and even an Immelman! Pilot was an ex RAAF Roulettes (our acrobatics team) Captain who had 20 years in jets under his belt.

Soo much fun

WOLFMondo
10-04-2004, 01:33 AM
Wow! Im very jeallous!

Oleg_Maddox
10-04-2004, 04:41 AM
"My adrenaline levels must have been as high as the first time I met my girlfriend's (now wife) father."

Demian!

I had the same feel when I was flying Su-27!
However recommend never tell your wife this comparison!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

lbhskier37
10-04-2004, 05:40 AM
That's awesome. This weekend I also got to get a little bit of G's, but not to that extent. My father won one of those Nascar driver experience things where you get to do a couple of laps around the track in a real car, limited to following the leaders line and keeping it under 110mph though. But being his guest, I got to do a ride-along with a real driver. Going over 130mph on a 1mile unbanked oval is pretty wild, wish I could have taken control. I can see now how these guys, and fighter pilots too, must have to be in great shape for their bodies to put up with that. That flying in a fighter plane is definitly going to have to be my next experience!

UberDemon
10-04-2004, 11:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ImpStarDuece:
Thanks Uber .takes me back about 5 years

I once got a ride in a Checz L39 Albatross trainer/light attack, which was one of the best 20 min of my life. Pulled 5G (no suit) and came *this* close to both puking and blacking out on the flight. Got to pull a couple of turns, did a loop, barrell roll and even an Immelman! Pilot was an ex RAAF Roulettes (our acrobatics team) Captain who had 20 years in jets under his belt.

Soo much fun <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is very cool. I wish I had the chance to fly in a "Xavante" when I was in the Natal AB in the northeast of Brazil... but unfortunately I did not. The Xavante is the EMBRAER version of an Italian Aermacchi older model (can't remember and am too lasy to look in my aircraft encyclopedia... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ); somewhat similar to the Albatross in looks. 5Gs with no suit heh? That sounds like the opposite of fun... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Demon/UberDemon

UberDemon
10-04-2004, 11:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Oleg_Maddox:
"My adrenaline levels must have been as high as the first time I met my girlfriend's (now wife) father."

Demian!

I had the same feel when I was flying Su-27!
However recommend never tell your wife this comparison!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Copy that Oleg! Hope you get to sleep some these days... I am sure you guys are doing long shifts now that the PF release is not too far away.

Once I get a hold of it I'll start working on the UQMG for PF.

UberDemon
10-04-2004, 11:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lbhskier37:
That's awesome. This weekend I also got to get a little bit of G's, but not to that extent. My father won one of those Nascar driver experience things where you get to do a couple of laps around the track in a real car, limited to following the leaders line and keeping it under 110mph though. But being his guest, I got to do a ride-along with a real driver. Going over 130mph on a 1mile unbanked oval is pretty wild, wish I could have taken control. I can see now how these guys, and fighter pilots too, must have to be in great shape for their bodies to put up with that. That flying in a fighter plane is definitly going to have to be my next experience! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that is cool! Not too many people can claim that! I grew up watching a whole lot of Formula-1 racing, so car racing is awesome as well. I used to play those Tyco racing toys A LOT when I was a kid... I can only imagine what it is to be in a track.

TheJoyStick
10-04-2004, 12:10 PM
Gah, Demon, I am filled with envy. I've wanted to be a pilot since I was a little kid when I got to ride in a b17 at an airshow because my grandfather won a raffle.

However, in the last few years I've been considering an actual career in it (military)

I can only imagine what that was like, but if it's comparable to that first "meet the parents" dinner, I can't wait.

Did you take any more pictures out of the window? That's the part I like the most. Looking down, and seeing everything. It always makes my stomach drop a bit, and I can't help but grin.

Anyway, congratulations. I hope I get to do the same thing one day soon.

Blottogg
10-04-2004, 04:22 PM
UberDemon, glad to hear you had fun. I don't mean to dig for state secrets, but where was your flight if I might ask? The landscape and shelters look NATO, but the F-16 isn't USAFE. The Netherlands, perhaps? I don't recognize the base, but it's been years since I've flown in Europe.

Glad to hear you had a good pilot, too. Of the 5 incentive rides I've given over the years, I've only had one incentivee puke. The irony was that it was while flying straight and level above an undercast. It's the boring stuff that lets backseaters start thinking about what they're doing, and that's when the motion sickness starts, at least in his case.

Congratulations, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Incentive flights are a blast for the pilots too, both for being able to do things normal training won't let us do, and for the sh*t-eating grin we get from the back seaters.

ImpStarDuece
10-04-2004, 06:12 PM
Uberdemon...

5gs without a suit is tough. Vision starts to grey out at about 3 1/2 to 4 and by 5 i was getting definate tunnel vision and some serious black around the edges of my vision. The pilot DID have a G suit and he sure put me through the ringer. Inverted and outside rolls, loops, barrels, hammerheads all the tricks that i know the names for an quite a few that i don't.

Would really love to go back there and try it again but i just dont have the dosh. This was a complimentary ride and i got to sit in the hangar in Mascot Airport for a coule of hours oggeling the Mig 15 and pair of AH-1 Cobras (both in various states of being rebuilt) that shared the hanger.

Wish i hadknow as much about aviation then as i did now. That flight really started something of an addiction for me.

NAFP_supah
10-05-2004, 04:34 AM
Looking at the tailroot it looks like a D-model F-16. USAF bird? Must have been a great experience! You are indeed a lucky man http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PlaneEater
10-05-2004, 05:45 AM
So how did you even GET a chance to take a ride in a Viper?

It's something I'd like to try some time, and it'd be great if I knew who to start talking to. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WWMaxGunz
10-06-2004, 01:10 AM
Demon, Deuce,,,,,

Could you state how you'd feel about trying to pull 50 lbs (22 kg) on a stick
with one or even both arms while at 3+ G's? Some people think it should be easy.

Neal

LLv34_Flanker
10-06-2004, 03:11 AM
S!

Been flying F/A-18D when got a ride in it. Was a delight to fly and controls were very harmonic. High-G makes steering a bit harder but can be overcome with training. Games feel a bit wimpy after the real deal http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

UberDemon
10-10-2004, 04:34 PM
TheJoyStick,

Ok.. so you flew in a B-17??????????? (x50). You are more amongst the few than you can imagine.

Yes. Being in the F-16 is just like the first meeting the parents dinner. At least it is true when flying the F-16 is not your job. I took more pictures but not all came out. If you are thinking about joining in the military to have that feeling... all I can say is ... DO IT! I am not a licensed pilot, but if I could go back in time and could go that route, I woud do it. To me it would be worth it. But that is my opinion. Make your own choice.

Blottogg,

My flight was in Europe. Yes, I had a very good pilot. I am a good judge too as well. It was a great landing. The F-16 has very narrow landing gears. Fortunately when I was young, I got to fly with my dad many times. I have one of his resumes and it logs 10 thousand hours of flight, in the Shooting Star, C-47, Boeing 727, Bell 212, etc.

I am glad I did not puke... but in truth, I was prepared... I had 1 sickness bag in each leg pocket and 2 in my belt... I think that since I flew most of the time up there, that maybe the reason I did not puke. But then again, I did not care to pull high Gs. 6Gs was enough. It was fun. I loved it.

So... what did you fly in when you gave flights?

ImpStarDuece,

... sounds like a whole lot of not-fun... so the pilot had g-suit and you didn't? Man... you experienced what the WW2 pilots did!

NAFP_supah,

Yes, it was a F-16D... do you think they would actually give me a F-16C? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif he he...

PlaneEater,

As I said many times... somebody thought I deserved it... so I got it. If you do not want to rely on luck like me, then get into the military to fly in a high performance jet as a pilot.

WWMaxGunz,

OK, trying to pull 22 kg on a stick with one arms while at 3+ G's is not that easy. The main thing is that you are flying the plane, so you are countering all forces. My arm was tired without thinking about all the extreme maneuvers. I'll tell you that FBW is a necessity for this type of plane. The joystick makes all the difference here. I did not have to think about my body and the controls, because it all came naturally, and the joystick is pressure sensitive.

WWMaxGunz
10-10-2004, 11:39 PM
UberDemon, I was thinking of how it might relate to WWII fighters during combat.

Neal

WWSensei
10-14-2004, 07:20 PM
Max,

Joystick on the Viper is significantly different than that on a WW2 class fighter. Couldn't make a comparison that would be meaningful.

WWMaxGunz
10-14-2004, 07:51 PM
Not asking for a comparison.
Asking what he would feel about trying to pull 50 lbs on a stick while at 3+ G's.
Or even 30 lbs for however long someone would want to circle around in a fight.
I understand that in a Viper all but your hand is pretty much laying braced and
you don't have to muscle the stick... I'm more interested in these WWII fighters
and people saying that the 50 lb limit is far too low. That's all.

Neal

Snoop_Baron
10-14-2004, 09:20 PM
Great read UberD http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif You are so lucky http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I told my girlfriend your story and showed her the picks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. We both agree with Oleg's advice don't tell your wife http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I envy you both!!

swansong4raven
10-16-2004, 12:46 PM
WOW what a wonderful story. thank you sooo much for sharing all of it. i felt like i was right there with you in the cockpit.

thank you again for sharing that wonderful experience.

UberDemon
10-16-2004, 03:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snoop_Baron:
Great read UberD http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif You are so lucky http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I told my girlfriend your story and showed her the picks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. We both agree with Oleg's advice don't tell your wife http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I envy you both!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I envy me too!!!! (actually... that is a Spinal Tap quote...)... unfortunately, I am already in trouble with my wife... she is a photo-journalist... and she was not around to take pictures... she is happy for me, but she would have done a good job at taking pictures from the outside; like takeoff and landing.

Demon/UberDemon

woofiedog
10-17-2004, 04:48 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gifWhat a ride Uber Deamon! It must of been a Blast! Mint!

Philipscdrw
10-18-2004, 09:15 PM
I got a ride in one of these last weekend:
http://www.edmontonsoaringclub.com/photos/puchatz300x150.jpg

No afterburner, but you really feel the Gs when that winch kicks into gear!

CTO88
10-19-2004, 03:39 AM
PUCHACZ RULEZ! espescially in spin http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

hotspace
10-19-2004, 06:02 AM
You lucky, lucky man, m8 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Hot Space

julien673
10-19-2004, 10:33 AM
I m not jalous.. I m not jalous.. I m not jalous

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif...the life its unfair

Nice pic...and just how u can fly this ? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

dali
10-20-2004, 11:27 AM
Uber, I assume you were flying from Aviano? That scenery on your photos sure looks familiar http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif