PDA

View Full Version : Gender of Characters

TatoRezo
01-13-2019, 04:10 AM
Hey all, first of all this isn't a SJW post.

Are there characters you would play if they had the other gender option?
Like I would love to play as nobushi or valkyrie if they had a male version and was pretty sad that they didn't. (yes there are no male valkerys in mythology but for honor is already way beyond realism so it wouldn't hurt).

Hormly
01-13-2019, 05:23 AM
I clicked for SJW ideology and am dissapointed 😄

Well in a perfect world you could play either gender for any hero, but it probably saves the animators an IMMENSE amount of work by locking half the cast, so I wouldn't expect things to change.

I'd bet plenty of guys like the peacekeepers style but don't like playing as a chick.

Luckily my warlord is too masculine to have a female variant

TatoRezo
01-13-2019, 05:25 AM
Good thing the new heroes are gonna be both genders ^^ But I really hope they change the older ones sometime in the future. Maybe with reworks :( Shieldmaiden warlord, barbarian fem highlander, male shaman and nobushis would be cool :(

Hormly
01-13-2019, 05:30 AM
Good thing the new heroes are gonna be both genders ^^ But I really hope they change the older ones sometime in the future. Maybe with reworks :( Shieldmaiden warlord, barbarian fem highlander, male shaman and nobushis would be cool :(

The issue is that's the equivalent of animating a whole new character, and more importantly, it's something that the devs can't charge us for. So it's never gonna happen.

We can barely get reworks, even rarer one with new animations. No way we're getting such a substancial update for free

rottmeister
01-14-2019, 11:05 AM
I'd probably play fem Highlander a lot and maybe fem Aramusha, if I get over my hate towards Aramushas that is...

I like the fact that HL has a crushing counter in all directions unlike Warden, but I don't really like his aesthetic and I'm not really a fan of heavies. A female variant would probably make me play the character though.

Siegfried-Z
01-14-2019, 11:29 AM
HL female and PK man would be very nice !

About Valk i don't know, i play her for a while and she is so badass that i don't care playing this bloody girl . A man Valk looks weird in my mind ..

I'd probably play fem Highlander a lot and maybe fem Aramusha, if I get over my hate towards Aramushas that is...

I like the fact that HL has a crushing counter in all directions unlike Warden, but I don't really like his aesthetic and I'm not really a fan of heavies. A female variant would probably make me play the character though.

I grind Musha currently and i can just understand your hate^^. Overall he is a strong assassins killer but specially against Shaman 😇.

And i never though about it but hell a female Musha would be crazy nice To see !

SwellChemosabe
01-14-2019, 12:29 PM
I think its more than just it would be more work for the devs to have to animate an opposite gender for the same character. I feel like when certain characters were in development they already had an idea of what they wanted.

For instance, Highlander: the guy is a hulking scottsman with what, an 8ft "**** you" sword?in reality the person they used for the motion capture was probably very tall muscular, at the very least capable of weilding even a replica of such an impractical but intimidating weapon. Im not saying they dont exist but how many women would you say fit that description? Not many. And even if its just a matter of redesigning the character im willing to bet that the dev team wanted to keep some things as close to their original counterparts as possible.

Yeah the game isnt exactly realistic in general, it is a video game after all, but some characters deserve that unique aspect. Another example being shaman. I couldnt imagine a male counterpart displaying that same kind of murderous psychotic attitude as the female original. Everything about the character is unique and i think the designated gender plays a role in that.

Also consider that maybe some of those moves you see when you play the game may be easier for females or males specifically. Like the peace keeper. She's petite and agile and as such can do things like leap, flip, and some of those executions require a certain amount of flexibility that women are more adept with than most men. At least to my knowledge.

And finally from a business stand point, imagine how much it woukd cost to have to redesign or reanimate the gender locked characters. Imagine if they had to start straight from motion capture, meaning theyd have to go out and hire people to perform the same move sets and in exactly the same fashion as the originals.

But anyway, im not saying it wouldnt be cool to see a thick shugo girl knocking wardens out of the park with a feminine touch, but its not likely we'll ever see it.

rottmeister
01-14-2019, 12:43 PM
HL female and PK man would be very nice !

About Valk i don't know, i play her for a while and she is so badass that i don't care playing this bloody girl . A man Valk looks weird in my mind ..

I grind Musha currently and i can just understand your hate^^. Overall he is a strong assassins killer but specially against Shaman 😇.

And i never though about it but hell a female Musha would be crazy nice To see !

It isn't just the 'assassin killer' that makes me hate Aramusha, it's pretty much everything about him 😂

His smug face and weird looking straw hat annoy me.
He looks like a Samurai Jack knockoff who fights like a robot...

He is a generic ronin: no master, either village or family is dead and wants revenge by slicing up his enemies while hoping his fuel doesn't run out (because he's a robot..).

It's like they copied Samurai Jack into a metal shell but forgot to add the brain because all he can do is slice things.

However I've seen some FINE fem Aramusha fanart so I wouldn't complain if he were to get a female variant.
At least I'd get spammed to death by a pretty face... :p

Siegfried-Z
01-14-2019, 02:28 PM
It isn't just the 'assassin killer' that makes me hate Aramusha, it's pretty much everything about him 😂

His smug face and weird looking straw hat annoy me.
He looks like a Samurai Jack knockoff who fights like a robot...

He is a generic ronin: no master, either village or family is dead and wants revenge by slicing up his enemies while hoping his fuel doesn't run out (because he's a robot..).

It's like they copied Samurai Jack into a metal shell but forgot to add the brain because all he can do is slice things.

However I've seen some FINE fem Aramusha fanart so I wouldn't complain if he were to get a female variant.
At least I'd get spammed to death by a pretty face... :p

😅😅 killed me !
Now while playing him i'm gonna have to focus to not think about it haha

rottmeister
01-14-2019, 03:40 PM
���� killed me !
Now while playing him i'm gonna have to focus to not think about it haha

Have I opened your eyes my child? :p

You will now be forever haunted by the thought of brainless robot Samurai Jack everytime you hover over Aramusha's name.

Kargish1
01-14-2019, 04:34 PM
There are some characters where I simply can't imagine the opposite gender.

Shugoki, Highlander, Lawbringer, JJ and the likes I can't imagine being female at all. Female Raider is a mess if you ask me.

On the other hand, I can't imagine Peacekeeper, Nobushi, Nuxia, Valkyrie and Shaman to be anything but women.

Siegfried-Z
01-14-2019, 07:31 PM
Have I opened your eyes my child? :p

You will now be forever haunted by the thought of brainless robot Samurai Jack everytime you hover over Aramusha's name.

That's cruel ! Damn Shaman witch ! ^^

But i'm not 100% guilty because i also play a lot Valk. And, Shao..... hum hum

MCBooma16
01-14-2019, 11:29 PM
I'll be honest, I like the female Raider option. People think she's too masculine but most vikings for that matter were warriors, even the women. They didn't segregate as far as I'm concerned, and sometimes women actually wanted to fight alongside their men. There was a tomb discovered in Birka, a city in Sweden, and the tomb held the remains of a human skeleton and many items or weapons that symbolized the person was held in high regards, perhaps of even elite status.

The remains were sent to the University of Stockholm for DNA testing and other physical analyzing. The results confirmed that the remains of this skeleton were of a woman. It most likely wasn't uncommon to see female viking warriors. Most female viking warriors were generally known as Shieldmaidens.

I don't know much about the knight faction, but I do know that, due to social cultures of the the people, women were generally never allowed in any combat roles and were limited to simply house- keeping or being a wife.

Female Warden doesn't make sense, may never have existed at the time, or may have been very very rare. PK may never have been a thing either. Female conq certainly never existed, or was insanely rare. Glad comes from a different point in time honestly, but female gladiators may have been a thing.

Most female Samurai warriors were mostly Nobushis. Women trained by the Samurai to protect their homes, were trained with the Naginata. Again, due to social stuff, it is very very unlikely there were any other roles for women outside of the Nobushi class. I doubt there were female Samurai like the Kensei, Shinobi, or Orochi. But, women wielding the Naginata was definitely a thing.

There are probably gender locks because some characters, in this case Nobushi and Valkyrie, only ever had females taking those names.

Of course some of the generic vanguards like Raider had both male and female warriors, but Warden and Kensei most likely never had female warriors. I don't know enough about Chinese culture to discuss if there were female Tiandis or if Nuxia even existed, but that's my input.