PDA

View Full Version : No Desktop Icon and not working on Vista

Jalexp
05-14-2010, 06:54 AM
I've installed the game several times on Windows Vista and all it shows in programs is the readme file and link to this site, there is no desktop icon and the game itself is nowhere to be seen so I can't click on anything to start it up. Any ideas please?

Jalexp
05-14-2010, 06:54 AM
I've installed the game several times on Windows Vista and all it shows in programs is the readme file and link to this site, there is no desktop icon and the game itself is nowhere to be seen so I can't click on anything to start it up. Any ideas please?

Wolferz
05-14-2010, 07:02 AM
Try installing directly to your main drive.

realoldephart
05-14-2010, 08:03 AM
Hello Jalexp, and welcome to the forums. I run Vista 64 bit and I have SH 4 loaded where Vista puts it and it runs good for me, however some people have had trouble with it there and have had better success installing directly to C: drive. Listed below is the path I follow to get to Silent Hunter.
Left Click Computer
Left Click Local Disk C
Left Click Program Files (x86)
Left Click Ubisoft
Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific If you do this and find
Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific Left Click and scroll down the page till you see a file or files like this
SH4 sh4 there may be 2 files like this. To find the correct one if there is more than one, start with the top one and right click it,left click properties, if the title of the file is application exe. , this is the one your looking for, back out then right click it again and select create shortcut. If it doesn't place it on the desktop drag it to desktop. hope this helps some.
John

nohunt1
05-14-2010, 08:10 AM
I've got SH4 on Vista as well, and it took several installs and a new video card to get it to work.

When you uninstall, make sure to delete the SH4 folder in the "My Documents" folder as well. The uninstall process does not remove this folder automatically. And do install it to the C: directory, not to any sub-folders.

When you finally get it installed...look for the SH4.exe icon in the folder and copy, or drag-and-drop to your desktop. Delete the gu.exe icon (file). It's also supposed to launch the game, but it creates all sorts of havoc when you try to use it.

Good luck, and let us know how do.