PDA

View Full Version : What is "Story Mode"?

Captain_Dusk
01-10-2019, 01:28 PM
On the patch notes screenshot about level scaling, there is an option down the bottom to turn On or Off "Story Mode"

Any ideas what this is? Has it always been there and I haven't noticed? Not at home to check in-game...

Lysette88
01-10-2019, 02:00 PM
Most likely an adaptation to how it was named in Witcher 3 - where story mode is the least difficult setting. Well, when I think of it, other games are using this term now as well instead of "very easy" or "easy" - it is meant to indicate, that the focus is on experiencing the story without a real challenge combat wise.

Captain_Dusk
01-10-2019, 02:06 PM
But why is it totally separate from difficulty if that was the case?

Lysette88
01-10-2019, 02:15 PM
But why is it totally separate from difficulty if that was the case?

My game is still patching, I haven't seen it in game yet - is there no tool tip, when you hover with your mouse above this option?

longjohn119
01-10-2019, 02:58 PM
It's not mentioned in the Patch Notes so it's probably just a place holder ......

Of course no one reads the warning attached but even turning down the scaling to -4 has some negative effects mainly fewer XP, rewards and loot which will ultimately lead to more Grinding .... So trying to turn it down even more is going to be tricky and frankly I don't see how it can be done without rebalancing the entire game from top to bottom which isn't practical from a business standpoint because the Cost would far exceed the Return

DreadGrrl
01-10-2019, 02:59 PM
“Story Mode” has not been added. Xbox

show_stoppa
01-10-2019, 03:08 PM
“Story Mode” has not been added. Xbox

^This. Not added on PS4 either. Will get added probably in some future update.

Stogey2413
01-10-2019, 04:00 PM
It's not mentioned in the Patch Notes so it's probably just a place holder ......

Of course no one reads the warning attached but even turning down the scaling to -4 has some negative effects mainly fewer XP, rewards and loot which will ultimately lead to more Grinding .... So trying to turn it down even more is going to be tricky and frankly I don't see how it can be done without rebalancing the entire game from top to bottom which isn't practical from a business standpoint because the Cost would far exceed the Return

It does lead to less XP, but not fewer rewards and loot. It also does not affect the quality of loot, just the level, which makes sense since you're fighting lower level enemies. Ultimately it still leads to more grind, but I think it should. Players who play on higher difficulty/enemy scaling level should be rewarded with better loot.

Lysette88
01-10-2019, 04:11 PM

My first impression of the changes to enemy scaling is - those are fair - if one chooses a less difficult option, the loot will be of lower level (not lower quality, but lower level). One has to choose carefully, how much enemy level scaling is to be toned down, because lower level enemies are as well lower value loot (which takes money and resources to get to one's level) and less XP - so it is not necessarily easier if one is choosing a much lesser enemy scaling, because like you said, the effort required is just shifted - from difficulty to more work required to achieve the same. IMO this is a good choice by Ubisoft, because it delivers a trade-off between less difficult and more effort required.

My personal choice will be the light option - 2 level less is enough - and it will still be challenging against several enemies at the same time. But it means at the same time for me, that any loot I get from those is most likely just good for dismantling, because it will as well be 2 levels lower.

Edit: well actually in the game it is medium mode - not light - I had something in mind with light mode and very-light mode - but those are medium and light.

Lysette88
01-10-2019, 04:22 PM
It does lead to less XP, but not fewer rewards and loot. It also does not affect the quality of loot, just the level, which makes sense since you're fighting lower level enemies. Ultimately it still leads to more grind, but I think it should. Players who play on higher difficulty/enemy scaling level should be rewarded with better loot.

Absolutely, I am in favor of this trade-off - even I will choose to lessen the difficulty in a reasonable way - it is choosing light option.

Captain_Dusk
01-10-2019, 04:41 PM
I would guess if you go Heavy on the level scaling and Easy on difficulty, you get easy level 70 loot?

show_stoppa
01-10-2019, 04:48 PM
I would guess if you go Heavy on the level scaling and Easy on difficulty, you get easy level 70 loot?

Yup. That is correct, IF you are at level 70 too :p

Mushashi7
01-10-2019, 06:29 PM
On the patch notes screenshot about level scaling, there is an option down the bottom to turn On or Off "Story Mode"

Any ideas what this is? Has it always been there and I haven't noticed? Not at home to check in-game...

I suggested in a thred to introduce this option. *Just the story'. I might have it from another game. I don't remember.

There are players like me who buys this type of game because of the story and adventure. We killed so many enemies in our lives that it just isn't that appealing anymore. Actually it can be boring and annoying at times. I am probably part of the oldest gamer generation that still hangs on. I'm 54 years old now. I've done my part of killing.

This game is so huge that the world and story can stand on its own. It would take at least 100 hours from start to finish if you rush through it. But there are so many things to discover in this historical world it takes too much time if you have to focus on combat. I have other things in life to attend to than fighting endless hordes of enemies. But with a 'Story mode' I am sure I will buy the next Assassin's Creed game. I simply enjoy the last two games to much not to. Especially Odyssey. I am absolutely overwhelmed about tis game. I like the adventure, the graphics, music, characters and everything else. There are so much good in this game. Unforgetable things. The game is epic and already a classic.

I look foward to start a new game i 'story mode

Mushashi7
01-10-2019, 06:32 PM
Ups! I forgot to say thank you to the developer team for listening to my plea/suggestion. This is welcome game feature I hope many will enjoy.

Captain_Dusk
01-11-2019, 03:50 PM
So, no one knows then.

Dubya75
01-11-2019, 04:29 PM
It does not matter what it is or was, because it is not present in the game after 1.1.2. It was most likely a screenshot from a dev build and they were just experimenting with stuff.

cawatrooper9
01-11-2019, 04:32 PM
So, no one knows then.

Yeah, it's no part of the most recent patch.

We might see it added in future patches. I'm also looking forward to finding out what it means.

Olympus2018
01-11-2019, 07:30 PM
What if Story Mode is similar to Discovery Mode?

Lysette88
01-11-2019, 09:10 PM
What if Story Mode is similar to Discovery Mode?

Discovery mode was a guided tour through ancient Egypt in a touristic way - not a story telling mode.