PDA

View Full Version : New to Starlink, completely overwhelmed

LostinSpoons
12-28-2018, 11:03 PM
I have recently got myself a copy of Starlink for the Nintendo Switch, but I can't get very far at all. I started out at Normal difficulty with the Arwing, got into my first space battle, won without too much difficulty and took on the first few tasks on the planet below. None of this was very hard, so I played on. Once I got back into space however, this was the end of the game for me, as it simply gets too hard to take down any outlaw I encounter.

EDIT: Well, I've got a bit better at space battles now, thanks to some helpful advice. Any other newcomers should check below If they run into the same difficulties.

Silvius_Fox
12-29-2018, 12:03 AM
You may have to do more missions on planets, and collect more mods for your ship and weapons. When you do need to move to another planet don’t drop out of hyperspace when you get an alert about a trap, instead try to fly through the holes that appear in the energy nets/discs, if done correctly you will evade the fight. After you have made it to another planet you should be able to point your ships reticle at any planet that you have already visited, and you will get a button prompt to fast travel back. To make locating a specific planet easier go to your star map and set a waypoint marker on it first, and then just look for the white circle.

LostinSpoons
12-29-2018, 01:38 AM
Mods make only a small difference to ship performance, only noticeable in ground battles. Space battles are many times harder, so that I would likely need at least two other ships assisting in order to survive. Fox's ability provides this, but only for a very short time, rarely long enough to tip the balance in my favour.

Silvius_Fox
12-29-2018, 02:32 AM
I couldn’t take on the first Dreadnought until my pilot was level 11, even though the Dreadnought was only level 5. I’m playing on the second to last difficulty, and lost two ships in the fight as well.
Have you gotten to the point where you have access to a mod workshop? You can buy mods from them as well as receive free mods occasionally based on a timer. I like the Nova core, it will apply a Lift/Stasis effect when you manage to reflect enemy shots back at them with your shield. When you are under heavy enough fire blocking will almost always reflect a few shots back, so mods that add damage to reflect can also be very useful. Just keep an eye on your boost energy as it will drain as you activate your shield, be sure to not let it run out completely as it will take longer to recharge, and may leave you vulnerable to enemy attacks.

LostinSpoons
12-29-2018, 04:35 AM
Thanks for the advice. This is actually very helpful. By unlocking mod fusion and getting fresh mods from the mod workshop, I've been able to power up enormously. It's mad all the difference. It's going to take some practice, but I think I can handle even major space battles now.

Ubi-Lucipus
12-31-2018, 01:42 PM
Doing quite a few of the side quests will ensure that you are better equipped for the bigger fights, can see some of our other lovely community members have given you some good tips too!

Good luck pilot :)