PDA

View Full Version : Catapults



VT-51_Razor
04-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Does anybody know how the V1 is launched? Is it via a catapult? I'm curious how 1C; accomplished this in the game engine. If it could be done with a launch rail for the V1, why not a plane on a carrier??

Think of what this could do for carrier operations in a DF server! It wouldn't help much with the landings, but at least you could get a decent load off the ship for ground attack aircraft. It would also make the Jeep carrier a viable launch platform as well.

Just wondering is all. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

VT-51_Razor
04-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Does anybody know how the V1 is launched? Is it via a catapult? I'm curious how 1C; accomplished this in the game engine. If it could be done with a launch rail for the V1, why not a plane on a carrier??

Think of what this could do for carrier operations in a DF server! It wouldn't help much with the landings, but at least you could get a decent load off the ship for ground attack aircraft. It would also make the Jeep carrier a viable launch platform as well.

Just wondering is all. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

Waldo.Pepper
04-27-2006, 01:06 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif


GOOD IDEA!

JG53Frankyboy
04-27-2006, 01:27 PM
very good idea !

but already beaten to death http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

3.JG51_BigBear
04-27-2006, 01:29 PM
I bet its the speed of the rocket that get's it off the ground, not a catapault setup but that's just a theory.

WB_Outlaw
04-27-2006, 02:06 PM
IIRC it's a rocket assisted take-off.

--Outlaw.

Fox_3
04-27-2006, 02:24 PM
It was attached to a piston that fell away when the V1 left the launcher. You can see it sometimes in old news reels.

Everything you need to know about the V1 here.

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/v1.html

Some interesting stuff here.

http://www.flyingbombsandrockets.com/V1_into.html

russ.nl
04-27-2006, 03:49 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fox_3:
It was attached to a piston that fell away when the V1 left the launcher. You can see it sometimes in old news reels.
QUOTE]

That piston was a rocket.

VT-51_Razor
04-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Yeah, I know it's been beaten to death, but I just thought it would be interesting to approach it from a different angle.

As for the method by which the V1 is launched, I guess I wasn't too clear up above. I was wondering how 1:C did it in the game, not how it was done IRL.

I was just thinking about how they did it for that rocket, and wondering if it could be applied to a carrier deck. I was thinking about the I-16-SPB(SBP?), and how all you need do is get close to the attach point of the TB3's wing, and hit the attach key, and presto! You're sitting there hanging under the wing. If you could apply that same approach to a catapult on a carrier, all you'd need to do is taxi up to somewhere close to the cat and hit an "attach" key, and presto! you'd be sitting there on the cat, all lined up with a graphic of the bridle leading down to the cat shuttle. Full power, and hit the chocks key maybe, and you're off to the races! Maybe set the end speed of the cat stroke at something like 80 Kts? That should be sufficient to get you airborne with a full load.

Any way, it's just a thought. Maybe someone from Luthier's shop will see this and think, "..why didn't we think of this?!!"

SPLASH_1
04-27-2006, 04:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VT-51_Razor:
Yeah, I know it's been beaten to death, but I just thought it would be interesting to approach it from a different angle.

As for the method by which the V1 is launched, I guess I wasn't too clear up above. I was wondering how 1:C did it in the game, not how it was done IRL.

I was just thinking about how they did it for that rocket, and wondering if it could be applied to a carrier deck. I was thinking about the I-16-SPB(SBP?), and how all you need do is get close to the attach point of the TB3's wing, and hit the attach key, and presto! You're sitting there hanging under the wing. If you could apply that same approach to a catapult on a carrier, all you'd need to do is taxi up to somewhere close to the cat and hit an "attach" key, and presto! you'd be sitting there on the cat, all lined up with a graphic of the bridle leading down to the cat shuttle. Full power, and hit the chocks key maybe, and you're off to the races! Maybe set the end speed of the cat stroke at something like 80 Kts? That should be sufficient to get you airborne with a full load.

Any way, it's just a thought. Maybe someone from Luthier's shop will see this and think, "..why didn't we think of this?!!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE> http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Scharnhorst1943
04-28-2006, 12:08 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif ALSO

Maybe you could contact luther with a PM or email http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif Just think of a 3rd party korea campaign we could do with jet takeoffs from CV's ...

VT-51_Razor
04-28-2006, 12:17 PM
It makes me wet just thinking about that Scharnhorst!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif I'll send Luthier or SaQson something, but I'm not going to hold my breath. They've got a pretty full plate already. I just like to day dream alot! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Aeronautico
04-29-2006, 08:52 AM
Guys, there's no real physics do discuss here, it's just an animation! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

VT-51_Razor
04-30-2006, 02:13 PM
Well, that may be Aeronautico, but according to SaQsoN, there's a heck of a lot of code involved too in order to get it to work on a carrier. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Aeronautico
04-30-2006, 06:46 PM
Yeah, but according to SaQSoN (and Mr. Good Sense) there's no real physics to discuss here. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SaQSoN:
V1 is lounched by itself. By it's own AI and FM. Are you really expect, that in a game everything is being simulated exactly as it works in the real life? I mean, you do not expect, that landing gear on a certain aircraft is being retracted by hydrawlic pressure, right? You just know - it's digitaly animated in the proram. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FritzGryphon
04-30-2006, 07:02 PM
The answer is then to add a new type of boost to all planes. It gives you 1000% power, but only for 3 seconds http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

ColoradoBBQ
04-30-2006, 07:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
The answer is then to add a new type of boost to all planes. It gives you 1000% power, but only for 3 seconds http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do we stop it from being exploited? Imaging you're shooting up a Corsair and it suddenly zooms up like a rocket for 3 seconds?

FritzGryphon
04-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Make a smoke effect come out of the plane when it does it.

On the ground, it's the catapult smoke. In the air, it's rocket smoke.

VT-51_Razor
04-30-2006, 10:41 PM
All of this BS is not very productive guys. SaQsoN has answered my question, which was if the way a V1 was launched in the game could be applied to planes being launched by catapult off of a carrier. His answer was that it would require a bunch of code rework with both the ship and plane. So, my question has been answered. End of story.