PDA

View Full Version : What the hell was ubi thinking

smokified
12-14-2004, 05:22 PM
I have played many real time stratedgy games, and this has to be the worst compilation of wasted code i have ever seen. Seriously what was ubi thinking when they put this cotastrophy on the shelves.

1) You have 6 million units that pathfind about as well as a blind cheetah. They move way too fast making the maps seem like something you would see in the original C&C. somehow you are supposed to control all of these units. Battles are about as fun as lighting your hand on fire in a small explosives accident. There might as well not even be animations because you cant even see them.

2) Back to pathfinding. It seems units go to places where they will get stuck on purpose, especialy boats. When i click on a group of units and send them to a location, I should not have to follow them around to make sure that they dont decide to take a nap in between some mountains and a forest.

3) Ai. This type of AI is the kind I would have expected to see back in the days of Kings Quest 3. Within 4 minutes of playing a skirmish on hard i had the enemy cornered and was building my own baracks and stables inside their own towns. That is not fun. Did anyone at UBI even bother to research how any other similar games worked? To make it worse, that was only the second time i even bothered to wait 45 minutes for the game to load. And to set the record straight im not one of those little whiney kids that is using dads old 386. I have one of the best systems you can have today.

If you havn't already wasted your money on this game or spent the time to download a cracked copy, i would recommend that you look elswhere for some RTS fun. I reccomend that you stick with Empire Earth.

UBI....You had great luck with Raven shield, i would almost recoomend that you quit there unless you can actually have some intelligent people create a game worth playing because seriously after playing and winning 2 skirmishes within about 45 minutes I am going to uninstall this game and use the CDs for coasters at my Christmas party.

smokified
12-14-2004, 05:22 PM
I have played many real time stratedgy games, and this has to be the worst compilation of wasted code i have ever seen. Seriously what was ubi thinking when they put this cotastrophy on the shelves.

1) You have 6 million units that pathfind about as well as a blind cheetah. They move way too fast making the maps seem like something you would see in the original C&C. somehow you are supposed to control all of these units. Battles are about as fun as lighting your hand on fire in a small explosives accident. There might as well not even be animations because you cant even see them.

2) Back to pathfinding. It seems units go to places where they will get stuck on purpose, especialy boats. When i click on a group of units and send them to a location, I should not have to follow them around to make sure that they dont decide to take a nap in between some mountains and a forest.

3) Ai. This type of AI is the kind I would have expected to see back in the days of Kings Quest 3. Within 4 minutes of playing a skirmish on hard i had the enemy cornered and was building my own baracks and stables inside their own towns. That is not fun. Did anyone at UBI even bother to research how any other similar games worked? To make it worse, that was only the second time i even bothered to wait 45 minutes for the game to load. And to set the record straight im not one of those little whiney kids that is using dads old 386. I have one of the best systems you can have today.

If you havn't already wasted your money on this game or spent the time to download a cracked copy, i would recommend that you look elswhere for some RTS fun. I reccomend that you stick with Empire Earth.

UBI....You had great luck with Raven shield, i would almost recoomend that you quit there unless you can actually have some intelligent people create a game worth playing because seriously after playing and winning 2 skirmishes within about 45 minutes I am going to uninstall this game and use the CDs for coasters at my Christmas party.

Maelmin
12-16-2004, 04:30 AM
Basically I think that even with the faults that the game has it has been produced after honest work has been spent on it. Even if that work has been misguided, as you suggest, it does not indicate to me that I should not give some reward to those who have created an distributed it. Patches are always welcome, of course.

Historical games like this are few and far between, and I would not like to discourage games companies from risking time and effort in developing such a product as this one. I would like to see further deveopment and an expansion with the Successors Campaigns included.

Criticism is only really useful it is is constructive. And to criticise something and then suggest that one should nevertheless get hold of a copy through piracy is bizzare. If you do not like this game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gifthen why try and download a cracked copy?

GNRanger
12-16-2004, 07:17 AM
Maelmin:

"Historical games like this are few and far between, and I would not like to discourage games companies from risking time and effort in developing such a product as this one."

I agree. The market is flooded with games that have a fantasy, science fiction, or contemporary warfare theme. Medieval themes are few and the ancient world is usually relegated to city-builder games. Having a real-time strategy game set in the ancient world and built on an innovative game engine is a real treat for many of us.

smokified:

If you are dissatisfied with the game experience and want to see improvements, present arguments for why the game falls short of the mark and offer constructive criticism that provides reasonable solutions to the problem. If you do not care for the game, do not play it. If you do not have a desire to provided constructive criticism to improve this game, go to a forum for a game you like and post your comments there. And until you develop the skill and capital to produce your own game, it would be best to develop the skill of working with the game developers to produce a better product.

Someone1972
12-20-2004, 12:39 PM
You're totally right man.The game really sucked.
I'm glad i didn't had to pay for it i got it from a friend(i wonder why).