PDA

View Full Version : Do you find yourself out of ammo?

PBNA-Boosher
01-06-2005, 10:09 PM
No problem! As I learned tonight while flying a Battle of France coop in HL with a few pilots. TOAD was there, and he can affirm to my triumphs, as can JG-6 Oddball, Hex, and my wingy, AFJ-Locust
Here's how the mission went:

It was a very lucky day for me. I flew to my target in my Hurribomber Mk.IIb and dropped my bombs on the target, and then I climbed to down some Luftwaffe fighters. But having unsuccessfully used my ammo on a Wirbelwind, I was only able to get one of 5 109E's smoking and out of the fight before I ran out of ammo.

PROBLEM:
4 undamaged Bf-109E's on the tail of my unarmed Hurri Mk.IIb

POSSIBLE WAYS TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM:
1. My wingie could help me by using what ammo he has left
-BUT Locust accidently stalled and crashed on the way to helping me. I consider this my fault. If I hadn't gotten in trouble, he would not have had to perform that maneuver.

2. My only option: Find a body of water. Usually, where there's a river, there's a bridge. So, while dodging all 4 AI 109E's MG bullets, I searched for the nearest river, but the bridges were too small for me to fly underneath.

HOWEVER

Close to one of the road bridges was a small industrial town. Then I saw something that brightened my day:<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">SMOKESTACKS!!!</span>

Flying toward the smokestacks with these 4 109's emptying their guns at me, I found an inlet and flew through the first two smokestacks. Then I pulled a hard turn through the factory facilities. While doing this I was no more than 30 meters high. As I turned the 109's kept getting closer and closer, taking ever more calculated shots, but still not using their cannons. I found another pair of stacks, and flew through those, but the 109's were still too high...

FINALLY: after flying for about 15 seconds through these smokestacks, I took a very daring risk. I noticed there were two smokestacks directly to the right of me that were very close together, using all my carefulness and skill, I pulled a sharp 90 degree turn and jacknifed the Hurri Mk. II through the slim space between the stacks. Then, I straightened out and watched events unfold in my rear view mirror:

<span class="ev_code_RED">I watched in shock at my skill as I saw for the first time how REALLY SMALL the opening was. Then, looking at the enemy planes, one 109 barrelled directly into the stack, while two others clipped their wings off and spiraled into the ground!</span>

Seeing that the 4th 109 wasn't dead yeat, and knowing I still had no ammunition, I pulled a hard, High-G turn to the right, but at that crucial second, I kicked my CH pedals too far and they got stuck on the back of my desk! I watched for three agonizing seconds as my plane stalled, and while I would have been able to counter it had my rudder pedals not been stuck, I helplessly saw my plane fall to the ground and explode in a fiery ball of twisted metal. And thus ended my escapade....

DO NOT BE DECIEVED BY MY DESTRUCTION!

I was brought down by my stupidity in kicking my rudder pedals too hard. I am quite sure, though, that had I completed that 180 degree turn, I could have brought down that 109E in a similar fashion to the other 3.

I will be making a video much like Darts' videos to explain and show how I did these. I assure you now, being low and slow is not as bad of a disadvantage as you think it might be:

USE YOUR SURROUNDINGS, SMOKESTACKS, BRIDGES, ETC... ARE YOUR FRIENDS IN A DESPERATE COMBAT SITUATION IF YOU ARE CAREFUL ENOUGH TO USE THEM!

PBNA-Boosher
01-06-2005, 10:09 PM
No problem! As I learned tonight while flying a Battle of France coop in HL with a few pilots. TOAD was there, and he can affirm to my triumphs, as can JG-6 Oddball, Hex, and my wingy, AFJ-Locust
Here's how the mission went:

It was a very lucky day for me. I flew to my target in my Hurribomber Mk.IIb and dropped my bombs on the target, and then I climbed to down some Luftwaffe fighters. But having unsuccessfully used my ammo on a Wirbelwind, I was only able to get one of 5 109E's smoking and out of the fight before I ran out of ammo.

PROBLEM:
4 undamaged Bf-109E's on the tail of my unarmed Hurri Mk.IIb

POSSIBLE WAYS TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM:
1. My wingie could help me by using what ammo he has left
-BUT Locust accidently stalled and crashed on the way to helping me. I consider this my fault. If I hadn't gotten in trouble, he would not have had to perform that maneuver.

2. My only option: Find a body of water. Usually, where there's a river, there's a bridge. So, while dodging all 4 AI 109E's MG bullets, I searched for the nearest river, but the bridges were too small for me to fly underneath.

HOWEVER

Close to one of the road bridges was a small industrial town. Then I saw something that brightened my day:<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">SMOKESTACKS!!!</span>

Flying toward the smokestacks with these 4 109's emptying their guns at me, I found an inlet and flew through the first two smokestacks. Then I pulled a hard turn through the factory facilities. While doing this I was no more than 30 meters high. As I turned the 109's kept getting closer and closer, taking ever more calculated shots, but still not using their cannons. I found another pair of stacks, and flew through those, but the 109's were still too high...

FINALLY: after flying for about 15 seconds through these smokestacks, I took a very daring risk. I noticed there were two smokestacks directly to the right of me that were very close together, using all my carefulness and skill, I pulled a sharp 90 degree turn and jacknifed the Hurri Mk. II through the slim space between the stacks. Then, I straightened out and watched events unfold in my rear view mirror:

<span class="ev_code_RED">I watched in shock at my skill as I saw for the first time how REALLY SMALL the opening was. Then, looking at the enemy planes, one 109 barrelled directly into the stack, while two others clipped their wings off and spiraled into the ground!</span>

Seeing that the 4th 109 wasn't dead yeat, and knowing I still had no ammunition, I pulled a hard, High-G turn to the right, but at that crucial second, I kicked my CH pedals too far and they got stuck on the back of my desk! I watched for three agonizing seconds as my plane stalled, and while I would have been able to counter it had my rudder pedals not been stuck, I helplessly saw my plane fall to the ground and explode in a fiery ball of twisted metal. And thus ended my escapade....

DO NOT BE DECIEVED BY MY DESTRUCTION!

I was brought down by my stupidity in kicking my rudder pedals too hard. I am quite sure, though, that had I completed that 180 degree turn, I could have brought down that 109E in a similar fashion to the other 3.

I will be making a video much like Darts' videos to explain and show how I did these. I assure you now, being low and slow is not as bad of a disadvantage as you think it might be:

USE YOUR SURROUNDINGS, SMOKESTACKS, BRIDGES, ETC... ARE YOUR FRIENDS IN A DESPERATE COMBAT SITUATION IF YOU ARE CAREFUL ENOUGH TO USE THEM!

Cajun76
01-06-2005, 11:35 PM
I've done some things like that to live players. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

One of the best ones had to be when two guys were on my tail. The clouds were pretty low, and I headed for a hill. At the crest of the hill a thick cloud was lurking. As I went low over the top, I inverted as I passed into the cloud and cought a glimpe of them doing the same. My nose dipped, and then, blind, I rolled up and out. A second later, 2 messages popped up in the chat bar, both planes destroyed. They thought, as I hoped they would, that the hill continued down, when it was more of a low dip and another hill, which I couldn't see either until clear.

Another one happaned as I was being chased by a 109. My Jug had a head start, and I was almost to the peak of a mountain. As I got near the top, I circled it, and gaining speed, went around the top to the 109 who had just got to that alt with little energy left from the long climb. No where to dive, and not enough energy to turn sharply or run away, I got good bursts in as I fired. He sidesliped though, throwing off the brunt of my attack, but he was out of the fight.

Capt.LoneRanger
01-06-2005, 11:53 PM
Yepp, it's really fun to see the terrain working for you.

I had an incident on a historical server. I was in a Bf109F2 over Finnland. Surely not many hills there, but LOTS of forests.
After shooting down 2 of a wave of I-16, 2 other I-16 settled on my six. I managed to dodge their bullets for quite a while, but after the previous dogfight my speed was too low to escape and I had only MGs left. My plane danced up and down, until I took a risky countermeasure: I flew VERY low and dodgy, pulled up right before the edge of a forest.
Needless to say I didn't really see the edge of the forest from that altitude, but neither did my enemies. I repeated the same thing 2 or 3 times, but nothing happened. Then I flew straight to give them a target, before pulling up, and I didn't pull up hard and just as much to stay above the trees. - SMACK - the leading I-16 didn't manage to pull up in time. Immediately I pulled up hard, until 90deg, then pushed forward, before I stalled out. The I-16 did as I thought he would: he pushed up, too, and then pulled down after me, killing his engine. I watched him crash into the forest, before I returned to base.

SabreF-86
01-07-2005, 01:16 AM
If Im over friendly territory, I just ram them and bail out. Tricky part is to judge the impact point so you don't get mushed in the collision. Apparently that was a well recorded tactic over the Soviet lines.

Sabre

Cajun76
01-07-2005, 01:25 AM
I prefer to fly home. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

T_O_A_D
01-07-2005, 03:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
No problem! As I learned tonight while flying a Battle of France coop in HL with a few pilots. TOAD was there, and he can affirm to my triumphs, as can JG-6 Oddball, Hex, and my wingy, who I feel very bad about not remembering his callsign, because he was a great wingie.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It must of been AFJ_Locust, I must of missed that flight, It was one of those, taht I sat out, cause of me struggling with a sump pump and a flooded crawl space http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

dieg777
01-07-2005, 06:23 AM
usually run out just as I get saddled up on the bandits six http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

have forced a few offline lawndarts by aggresively closing in firing position and causing AI to stall out.
in one of the early patches had a few bomber pilots chicken out and bail without even firing but havnt noticed that in a while

F19_Ob
01-07-2005, 08:42 AM
Good story LoL...

Well sometimes its good to drag enemies low and also slow, although this may be hard for a hurricane with multiple 109's on his tail.
It becomes more fun if then friendly planes arrive and give the lowdwelling enemies some leadgreetings.

I like smokestacks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

PBNA-Boosher
01-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Thx, toad! It was locust, I'll fix it in the post above. I'd jkust like to reiterate how bad I feel that I forgot his callsign.

SithSpeeder
01-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Great story, Boosh. Very amusing, LOL.

I'll have to try that smokestack trick, right after I figure out level bombing.

* _54th_Speeder *

p1ngu666
01-07-2005, 03:11 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Nanuk66
01-07-2005, 03:30 PM
By the sounds of things Boosher all you need now is Ben Affleck in another plane then you can play chicken with the BF109's next time! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

JG7_Rall
01-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Great story, keep em comin.

fabianfred
01-07-2005, 06:21 PM
I have been convinced for a long time that the AI do not have the same amount of ammo as we do....
I often fly with unlimited ammo if there are no bombs on board http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif