PDA

View Full Version : A plea on behalf of the MiG

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 10:32 PM
This is both a plea and a question to Oleg and the talented modelers out there, assuming Oleg is sympathetic that is.

Sorry I don't have a clue about how you all go about these things but...

Oleg the MiG was modeled early on and it shows, would it be possible to substitute a new MiG model into the game easily or is that as hard as introducing new aircraft but without flight models?

I'm going to break with tradition here, I won't complain about a single flight model, I just have to say the MiG model does'nt look as good as the other aircraft in the game and for such a fantastic looking fighter it's really quite sad.

Now if you were able to say that it could easily be replaced by a new model then I could start pleading with the model makers, begging actually, at least I could say Oleg agrees and their effort would be assured of inclusion in FB.

Am I alone in wanting this, is the MiG truly the Cinderella of IL2 FB? I offer a plea on behalf of the MiG in the hope that my favorite Russian fighter can be reborn to the standard of the other models in IL2 FB.

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 10:32 PM
This is both a plea and a question to Oleg and the talented modelers out there, assuming Oleg is sympathetic that is.

Sorry I don't have a clue about how you all go about these things but...

Oleg the MiG was modeled early on and it shows, would it be possible to substitute a new MiG model into the game easily or is that as hard as introducing new aircraft but without flight models?

I'm going to break with tradition here, I won't complain about a single flight model, I just have to say the MiG model does'nt look as good as the other aircraft in the game and for such a fantastic looking fighter it's really quite sad.

Now if you were able to say that it could easily be replaced by a new model then I could start pleading with the model makers, begging actually, at least I could say Oleg agrees and their effort would be assured of inclusion in FB.

Am I alone in wanting this, is the MiG truly the Cinderella of IL2 FB? I offer a plea on behalf of the MiG in the hope that my favorite Russian fighter can be reborn to the standard of the other models in IL2 FB.

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 10:42 PM
Please Delete this thread....fast, or we may get what you wish and end up with a dark instrument panel we can't see in the daytime--a popular feature in all the new cockpits these days--and a black smoked glass gunsight like the Yak~9.

Sssshhh! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

What don't you like about the cockpit besides "looks?" Can you be more specific? What exactly would you like changed?

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 11:24 PM
What would I like replaced? how about the entire aircrafthttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

No actually I have no problem with the inside view other than the odd cockpit windscreen frames. They are inconsistent with any photos of MiG3s I've seen.

It's the outside I don't like.

The real aircraft is sleeker and more pointed in the whole nose area.

The cockpit looks crap, loke a box with frames that the real thing did'nt have.

The wings are all angles unlike the other models.

Please don't think I'm trying to rubbish the original modelers, it's just that it has'nt stood the test of time and now that it looks like the whole Eastern Front will be left alone for some considerable time I feel the MiG should get a radical makeover to bring it up to line with the others.

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 11:42 PM
Yes, I too feel the pain of being abandoned by Oleg. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif Eastern Front has not yet begun to sim.

I love MiG but I spend most of my time pulling hair out in FMB too look at it. I am bald now, MiG looks fine. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-29-2003, 12:17 AM
It's rare to find another MiG pilot out there, let alone another one that's concenered with it's looks. As a MiG pilot I'd have to agree, it doesn't look nearly as good as the other planes. Also, I wouldn't mind a tighter turning radius and some more armor on the wings, but I'll quit while I'm ahead /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-29-2003, 12:54 AM
One of the past patches did up grade the Mig models, they already had an upgrade. Good luck, your going to need it.......

XyZspineZyX
10-29-2003, 12:59 AM
LEXX_Luthor wrote:
- Please Delete this thread....fast, or we may get
- what you wish and end up with a dark instrument
- panel we can't see in the daytime--a popular feature
- in all the new cockpits these days--and a black
- smoked glass gunsight like the Yak~9.

Oh, and don't forget: the GREEN cockpit lights of the P-47... when in reality, they were RED... as to not kill your night vision. But who cares about details right? It's the major things that matter.

XyZspineZyX
10-29-2003, 02:11 AM
The Mig3 external model was specifically updated with the release of IL2:FB, I don't fancy your chances.

Your plea will go unanswered unless you can produce some documentary proof of your complaints.

<center>
Read the <a href=http://www.mudmovers.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ.htm>IL2 FAQ</a>
Got Nimrod? Try the unofficial <A HREF=http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=4870c2bc08acb0f130e5e3396d08d595>OT forum</A>

XyZspineZyX
10-29-2003, 02:52 AM
Don't forget to tone down the rollrate of the mig3u, no blackouts from nonstop rolling or alieron energybleed.

The cockpit definatly needs to be retextured, the external model isnt bad at all

<center>http://www.geocities.com/leadspittersig/LS1.txt
Good dogfighters bring ammo home, Great ones don't. (c) Leadspitter</center>

XyZspineZyX
10-29-2003, 04:08 AM
The cockpit does need to be redone. Atleast the lighting. If you turn on the cockpit lights the screws turn green while the instruments remain unchanged /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif .

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I/JG1 Oesau (http://jg1-oesau.org) is recruiting. Join us!

Stab.I/JG1Death at HL, Maj_Death at Ubi.com

At the start of WW2 the German army lacked experienced anti-aircraft gunners. The average gunner was so bad that the USSR decided to help them out. They did it by forcing some of their pilots to fly I-153 flak magnets. These planes were slow but very sturdy. This allowed German anti-aircraft gunners to get a large amount of target practice on a relatively small number of planes. Thanks to the Soviets help, by the end of the war the German anti-aircraft gunners were amoung the best in the world.</center>

XyZspineZyX
10-29-2003, 08:37 AM
I remember feeling really pleased about that supposed upgrade to the MiGs model when the first info came out about FB, but MiG fans were let down over that.

If there was'nt going to be a new model then there was nothing to shout about, and there was'nt.

If it was upgraded I'm damned if I can see wherehttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Every major defect it had in IL2 was still there in FB and this is not a difficult or subjective issue like flight models either, it is just obvious that the MiG is not so well modeled as any of the other aircraft in FB right now.

I would be happier with one decent model of a basic MiG3 or UD than any of these freak IL2 engine or rare gun combination versions.

MiG advocate is what I am know and will remain, I asked for something to be done prior to the release of FB and in a way a sort of promise was made.

I don't think 1c will do anything about thishttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif so all I can do is say to everyone, look at that MiG and tell me it really looks like a MiG, go on be honest.

I can't fly it very well let alone model it but come on modelers is't she gorgeous, with her long racing car bonnet and that rakish cockpit, lovely, don't you wan't to see that beauty grow under your talented fingers, go onhttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-29-2003, 02:39 PM
I've never noticed anything wrong about the MiG model. I guess thats just me. I don't fly them much but whever I have they look sleek and imposing. In particular, I have respect for the MiG-3U which I've tangled with many a time.

http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/icefire/icefire_tempest.jpg
"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." - Winston Churchill

XyZspineZyX
10-30-2003, 10:21 PM
So I'm the only one who can see the problems with the external MiG model?!

Please look again, I know photographs of the MiG are hardly common like Spitfires, Mustangs and Hurricanes but the few I've seen are enough to show that this model needs attension.

Even if the basic model is acceptable it needs a new canopy/windscreen, the real aircraft had curved horizontal canopy frames, the upright hoop frames were inclined, the windscreen was double curved and the main canopy looks shorter overall but I might be wrong about that last point.

Whatever the cockpit externals are inaccurate and ugly.

I said the nose should be more pointed, well at least that ugly disk that looks like a grossly oversized propeller boss could be got rid of.

The wing leading edge is a plain sharp angle and it looks all wrong in the wing root area where the little intakes are, this means there is a huge step in the line between the under and uper side colour beneeth the nose.

It might be me but the little intakes all over the engine area above and below, look too big.

There is a flat on the tail just before the fin, a small detail I know but taken together all these little details spoil the overall effect a lot.

Can you imagine a MiG model as good as the Hurricane, I can and I feel the MiG deserves it.

I certainly don't need to find documentary evidence to back my argument, this is'nt the FM discussion is it, I'm sure Oleg has every known worthwhile picture of MiGs already, not to mention decent plans.

So I'm biased I do love this aeroplane, at least I think it was a dream to look at and it is a staple aircraft of this theatre, the theatre that we're all playing for a long time yethttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-31-2003, 10:28 AM
Well I guess it's only because the bird is unpopular. since every one's flying Yaks and LA I think your request will go unanswered. I hope for you since the MiG is one of the few planes on VVS side I found to have some weaknesses at all...

GOOD LUCK !

http://www.hell-hounds.de/sigs/gotcha.jpg

----------------------------------------
Disclaimer:
No forward view was obscured during the creation of this post...

XyZspineZyX
10-31-2003, 12:40 PM
We don't plan to replace any old models by the new better modelled. Simply it may go then for other aircrarft as well. Say we replaced MiG, that was done by 3rd party modeller better than our old and then begins the wave..... Why only MiG, why not Messer.....

Oleg Maddox
1C:Maddox Games

XyZspineZyX
10-31-2003, 01:37 PM
@OLEG:
one question though.

Let's assume once 1.2 is finished and the pay-add-on released. Is there any chance that, since you'Re beginning to do BoB and as stated in the conference is a completely new thing with almost all re-coded, Forgotten Battles will be more open for modifications ? possibly meaning, custom made maps, plane models, etc. ?

Thanks in advance...

http://www.hell-hounds.de/sigs/gotcha.jpg

Disclaimer:
No forward view was obscured during the creation of this post...

XyZspineZyX
10-31-2003, 02:55 PM
Thanks for a direct answer Oleg.

It certainly is'nt the answer I was looking for though.
I don't agree with your reasoning either as I don't see the MiG model as 'an old model' more an unfinished and shoddy one, when held up ahainst the overall standard that you have set for your sims.

I will ask once again hypothetically though, if somebody else produces a superior model for an already included aircraft what harm would there be in including it at some stage? Assuming it was better and did'nt use too many polygons or whatever then why not improve all of them over time?

I am British and will buy your BoB when it's released but the nature Eastern Front combat appeals more to me and since it looks like it will be a long time before you or anyone else returns to the theme it would seem only right to polish IL2 FB a little as an Eastern Front sim as it was originally envisaged.

One thing that puzzles me about your response, do you realy think there are other models in the game that need attension anyway? I don't, the MiG is the only really flawed model in the game and for such a central player in the first year of the war that is a fairly important issue.

Message Edited on 10/31/0302:10PM by Oboe

XyZspineZyX
11-01-2003, 04:44 AM
Yeah, the flood gates would open, there's loads of planes with problems. Do you really believe Yaks had flat and sharp front wing edges? How about the triangular leading edge of the La's, all that stuff is wrong and rather large glaring modeling errors.

XyZspineZyX
11-01-2003, 11:22 AM
BfHeFwMe wrote:
- Yeah, the flood gates would open, there's loads of
- planes with problems. Do you really believe Yaks
- had flat and sharp front wing edges? How about the
- triangular leading edge of the La's, all that stuff
- is wrong and rather large glaring modeling errors.
-
-
-
-
Non I do not think any aeroplane had triangular leading edges.

I don't just fly the MiG, I do know what the other models look like and yes it's a computer simulation, I don't expect photo realism.

I don't demand anything, I just say this...

If anyone came along with a model to the standard of the La5 or Yak1 and asked Oleg to include it assuming he wanted the aircraft in question included, then I think he would accept it.

If the came with a model like the MiG with a great disky thing stuck to its propeller base and square cockpit etc then I don't think he would have taken it without some changes, he might for all I know but I don't really think he would.

Floodgates to what? a better sim?

My original post was a question, I know it takes a lot of work to include a new aircraft as you need a new FM to go with it and a new interior cockpit etc. and more besides for all I know, but what about just poppping a new model over an old one is it really such a big deal.

I would never want a free for all of FMs like CFS3 or whatever, the control Oleg maitains over his sims is one of the best things about them IMO and so far I have not really had anything to gripe about.

Is removing a nasty little flaw in a model such an earthshatteringingly dangerous move?

Message Edited on 11/01/0310:24AM by Oboe

XyZspineZyX
11-01-2003, 10:47 PM
The mig 3 looks good to me........If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck...then it must be a duck.

http://www.cbrnp.com/profiles/insignia/italy/incocca-tende-scaglia.jpg
Saluti!
<center>http://www.bloggerheads.com/mash_quiz/images/mash_henry_blake.jpg (http://www.bloggerheads.com/mash_quiz/)</center>