PDA

View Full Version : Whats with the warping?

slappedsilly
02-10-2007, 03:23 PM
When playing online in large servers I have seen (on countless occassions) plane warp 50 to 70 meters. There can be 7-8 planes in my field of view and the one I'm getting ready to shred warps just as I pull the trigger. Strangely enough the other planes in my view don't warp. I can't believe its lag, because it will happen more than once but always at the exact moment needed to avoid them getting killed. I've been on coms with friends and they see the exact same thing. I'm flying 4.04m. Whats your take on this and do the other versions experience the same thing??

slappedsilly
02-10-2007, 03:23 PM
When playing online in large servers I have seen (on countless occassions) plane warp 50 to 70 meters. There can be 7-8 planes in my field of view and the one I'm getting ready to shred warps just as I pull the trigger. Strangely enough the other planes in my view don't warp. I can't believe its lag, because it will happen more than once but always at the exact moment needed to avoid them getting killed. I've been on coms with friends and they see the exact same thing. I'm flying 4.04m. Whats your take on this and do the other versions experience the same thing??

Xiolablu3
02-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Its probabaly your connection lagging.

What server are you playing on, what connection do you have?

Its either you lagging, or the other guy. If its happening a lot then its most likely your connection.

Also it could be that you have the graphics settings too high for your system, so it has to load the next LOD(level of detail) of the enemy plane from your hard disc as you close in, causing a lag/pause.

If you want smooth play with high graphics settings on big online maps, then you need enough memory to be able to hold all the map data, plane data, game data etc without it having to cache stuff to and from hard disc.

When your system runs out of Video Memory, it uses system RAM which is a bit slower.

When your system runs out of Video memory AND system memory, it uses the Hard disc which is very very much slower.

How much memory do you have, what gfx card, and what GFX settings/Res do you play with.

Try lowering the Graphics, see if that helps things to run smoother.

My game is very smooth, very rare lag. I have 256mb GF5900 Ultra, 1.25gb of RAM. I play on Excellent settings with Hardware shader locked to 1.x

Res = 1024x768.

If you answer all the questions in my post we may be able to help you.

slappedsilly
02-10-2007, 03:43 PM
I've got a cable modem and my ping is always below 80. My computer is a amd 4400 dual core with 2 gigs of ram and a 7800 gt. It's not my system or my connection. And like I said, I've had wingmen on coms see the same thing. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does its obvious. I've seen a smoking plane make a checkmark in the sky. I'm playing on the 334th and there may be my problem.
I play in small private servers and have never seen this in them.

rnzoli
02-10-2007, 03:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm playing on the 334th and there may be my problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Find out about their MAXLAG settings on the server. Maybe it's a bit too tolerant. Or maybe the other guys' machine or connection is unable handle all the workload of a big server.

The only way to tell is to watch him: does he also warp when he is on the offensive? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Spectre1968
02-10-2007, 03:51 PM
I have been told that if you adjust the ingame internet settings to 56k (Main Menu/Hardware setup/network) it helps to reduce lag/warping

slappedsilly
02-10-2007, 04:02 PM
I've seen that too. Doesn't make a bit of sense to me. I went out into the lobby at hyperlobby and asked. They said it was BS so I haven't tried it. But heck, its worth a try. If I'm on with friends and they warp it isnt so bad, someone will get them. But when I'm all alone and pull off a complete reversal with 4 enemies close by, well you know what happens next. Thanks for the help.
~S~

major_setback
02-10-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm sure it's when you shoot them unexpectedly....they don't know who's shooting, and have to hit F6 to see where the shot came from (if they are on a server allowing external views), and that means that a whole lot of scenery/objects must be loaded at an instant.
If they are naiive and have scenery/landscape set to high/perfect then it only stands to reason that there will be a delay as the new view is loaded...overloding the system.
That's my view on it anyway, it always seems to happen with planes that you take by surprise!

I've also in the past had a lot of complaints when I play on distant servers (me in Sweden, them in Canada) that they see me warp when they shoot me. That always seems to coincide with when I hit the F6 key to see where the shots are coming from.
Now I try to avoid the external views when dogfighting, for this reason.

I guess you don't get the problem half as much in the full real servers that disable the exterior views (?).

The big problem I think isn't the warping, but the other players that shout 'cheat' every time they see a plane warp. It creates a lot of unwanted tension in the game. If someone is called a cheat without knowingly doing anything wrong they tend to get very annoyed (I do anyway).

[MY opinion!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif]

slappedsilly
02-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Major_setback, you must realize the warping, cheating or not, saves ones arse and costs another a certain kill. May not be cheating, but only fractionally less agrevating. But, I have set my connection to a lower setting and have flown quite a bit with no sign of the warping. So hopefully that has fixed, or at least reduced the problem. I don't understand why there are faster connection settings in the game if it does nothing but cause problems. Seems like the server itself ought to be able to choose the settings..maybe in BoB.

PF_Coastie
02-11-2007, 01:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slappedsilly:
Major_setback, you must realize the warping, cheating or not, saves ones arse and costs another a certain kill. May not be cheating, but only fractionally less agrevating. But, I have set my connection to a lower setting and have flown quite a bit with no sign of the warping. So hopefully that has fixed, or at least reduced the problem. I don't understand why there are faster connection settings in the game if it does nothing but cause problems. Seems like the server itself ought to be able to choose the settings..maybe in BoB. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The server does choose the settings. If the server is set to 56k, that is all it will allow. But you can set it lower on your machine and only send/receive at your lower setting. OTOH, if the server has too high a setting and has too many people, you will see warping on various people or everyone.