PDA

View Full Version : Massacre at Southend

pmatthews83
10-10-2005, 11:47 AM
After two years of service I decided to become more aggressive and attack a few harbors. First on my list was Southend, simply because it is the closest and tends to have a constant flow of incoming and outgoing merchant ships. So, I set out in my tough little IIA (this is my tenth patrol, so me and U-4 have been through a lot together). I'm sneaking into the harbor when my action cam kicks in and I see german aircraft plummeting from the sky and hear explosions on the ocean surface. My first thought is "what the heck is going on up there?"

So, being the not so bright person that I am, I raise my periscope to take a look. The merchant ships in the harbor are up in flames! Farging Bastidges!!!! They beat me to the punch! And not only that, but there was a wonderful Hunt II destroyer throttling up only 300m from me. Before I could line him up, he starts opening up on me with guns. I take heavy damage trying to high tail it out of the port. Unfortunately for me, a V W was called back to port for support and boxed me in. I was a sitting duck in the shallows. I will say I did not go down without a fight!

Seeing that our fates were sealed I surfaced the boat, manned the flak gun (about as effective as pissing on a house fire) and steamed ahead flank right at him.

He was bigger-we didn't win http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

pmatthews83
10-10-2005, 11:47 AM
After two years of service I decided to become more aggressive and attack a few harbors. First on my list was Southend, simply because it is the closest and tends to have a constant flow of incoming and outgoing merchant ships. So, I set out in my tough little IIA (this is my tenth patrol, so me and U-4 have been through a lot together). I'm sneaking into the harbor when my action cam kicks in and I see german aircraft plummeting from the sky and hear explosions on the ocean surface. My first thought is "what the heck is going on up there?"

So, being the not so bright person that I am, I raise my periscope to take a look. The merchant ships in the harbor are up in flames! Farging Bastidges!!!! They beat me to the punch! And not only that, but there was a wonderful Hunt II destroyer throttling up only 300m from me. Before I could line him up, he starts opening up on me with guns. I take heavy damage trying to high tail it out of the port. Unfortunately for me, a V W was called back to port for support and boxed me in. I was a sitting duck in the shallows. I will say I did not go down without a fight!

Seeing that our fates were sealed I surfaced the boat, manned the flak gun (about as effective as pissing on a house fire) and steamed ahead flank right at him.

He was bigger-we didn't win http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Maj_Solo
10-10-2005, 12:25 PM
on some boats you just wished you had a rear tube http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Excalibur688
10-10-2005, 02:11 PM
Well I salute you and your brave crew for your bravery. On a side note, you prolly could have dove to near bottom went all silent and crept out....I have done that before...and the air raids are wonderful to watch aren't they....=)

jooo9
10-10-2005, 02:33 PM
With 20m deep water theres not much chance to sneak out.

Klutts315
10-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Not to change the subject but what mod do you have to get air raids or its just one of those be in the right place at the right time?

Wolfen_U232
10-10-2005, 09:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Klutts315:
Not to change the subject but what mod do you have to get air raids or its just one of those be in the right place at the right time? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea i want to know this too lol

Meh.. I usualy sink the DD's as soon as i see them.. The other ships in the port usualy don't move.. But then again. If there is only one target worth taking out ill shot from max range.. and high tail it out of there soon as my torps leave the toobs.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Meh ive only been attacked 1 time in a port.. and that was during daylight..

Dominicrigg
10-11-2005, 04:56 AM
To get air raids you need to have reported the contacts as far as i know. I have only even had support from the air when i have done this. So get into the habit of reporting convoys when you first contact them just like real uboat captains. You may get some help from friendly stukas just when you need them!

Also some people have claimed they have got help from nearby ships, though the ships would have to be very near to react within a few hours even, so i think this will be rare if it does happen.

Mangobreeder
10-11-2005, 05:41 AM
haha i dont live too far form southend, just down the a127, best thing to happen to southend, ever!