PDA

View Full Version : Fragments vibration and damage

Stafroty
02-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Why does even Light machine gun hits make such an vibration effects on aircfafts? even the fragments of those is shakin the plane like it would be some 100kg weight hitted on the side of the plane, its same with every hit there happens. I would understand it, if it would vibrate, if wings would get hit with HE ammo.
Doesnt Ke ammo just Go throught without much vibrating the plane as much that pilot would notice it.

i got tracks about it, as i next issue:

Why does even machine guns have fragment damage? if you go near enought enemy plane and open fire at it, its more likely the attacked to go down because engine loss, than target plane, just bacause there is fragments flying from whatever ammo used, Even VAP from IL-2 makes BIG He effect when it hits something.
Could it be done that own guns or cannons Cant damage own plane, even with fragments?

I understand that thick wall/shell ammunition from cannons have rear part as well fragmentating, but not every round have the same degree of fragmentation effect at ranges.

i got tracks about this, as well you can test this all by yourself, landing at runway, braking full and pushing the stick so you flip plane upside down, or on its nose, then open fire with machineguns, see the results yourself, as well with cannons.

Can that be made like that those "hits" from fragments from own guns doent count on own plane?

its not the most important issue, but it is there, as is the plane explosion damage etc. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Stafroty
02-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Why does even Light machine gun hits make such an vibration effects on aircfafts? even the fragments of those is shakin the plane like it would be some 100kg weight hitted on the side of the plane, its same with every hit there happens. I would understand it, if it would vibrate, if wings would get hit with HE ammo.
Doesnt Ke ammo just Go throught without much vibrating the plane as much that pilot would notice it.

i got tracks about it, as i next issue:

Why does even machine guns have fragment damage? if you go near enought enemy plane and open fire at it, its more likely the attacked to go down because engine loss, than target plane, just bacause there is fragments flying from whatever ammo used, Even VAP from IL-2 makes BIG He effect when it hits something.
Could it be done that own guns or cannons Cant damage own plane, even with fragments?

I understand that thick wall/shell ammunition from cannons have rear part as well fragmentating, but not every round have the same degree of fragmentation effect at ranges.

i got tracks about this, as well you can test this all by yourself, landing at runway, braking full and pushing the stick so you flip plane upside down, or on its nose, then open fire with machineguns, see the results yourself, as well with cannons.

Can that be made like that those "hits" from fragments from own guns doent count on own plane?

its not the most important issue, but it is there, as is the plane explosion damage etc. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

J_Anonymous
02-23-2006, 05:01 PM
Let's assume that a single bullet with a mass of 100 grams (0.1 [kg]) hits the airplane at the relative speed of 500 [meters/sec], and loses all of its momentum. The "impact" (the momentum absorbed by the airplane) is

0.1 x 500 = 50 [kg meter /sec].

This "impact" is equivalent to that of a 50 [kg] object which hits the airplane with the speed of 1 [meter/sec]. A simple analogy is like this ; If you are sitting in a pick-up truck, and somebody with the weight of 50 kg jumps up and lands in the rear, you will surely notice the vibration. Needless to say, this is a crude estimation, and if the bullets goes through the plane the impact would be less. The effects on the plane depend also on the angle of the bullet with respect to the direction your plane is moving, the distance from the center of gravity of the airplane, etc.

Stafroty
02-23-2006, 10:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J_Anonymous:
Let's assume that a single bullet with a mass of 100 grams (0.1 [kg]) hits the airplane at the relative speed of 500 [meters/sec], and loses all of its momentum. The "impact" (the momentum absorbed by the airplane) is

0.1 x 500 = 50 [kg meter /sec].

This "impact" is equivalent to that of a 50 [kg] object which hits the airplane with the speed of 1 [meter/sec]. A simple analogy is like this ; If you are sitting in a pick-up truck, and somebody with the weight of 50 kg jumps up and lands in the rear, you will surely notice the vibration. Needless to say, this is a crude estimation, and if the bullets goes through the plane the impact would be less. The effects on the plane depend also on the angle of the bullet with respect to the direction your plane is moving, the distance from the center of gravity of the airplane, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

im fully aware of that. But, if you get hit even with light machinegun bullet fragments, and plane vibrates heavily cos of those, isnt there something wrong?

Stafroty
03-01-2006, 10:35 AM
when you land your plane upside down, so you can shoot with your machineguns on ground next to you, you start to get Fragment damage. Each time fragment hits your plane, your plane shakes violently.

question:

How can Bullet Fragment or bullet itself cause more "Recoil" effect when it hits the plane than when its fired from the plane??? where does the ammo get that EXTRA Kinetic Energy for shaking the plane like that??