PDA

View Full Version : What machine is needed to run BoB properly

WildeSau
10-12-2004, 09:12 AM
Hi there,

I know it's still a year to wait for getting BoB. But I am now evaluating a new PC and hope that I can use it to play BoB as well.

Will a todays PC (3 GB CPU, 256MB Nvidia Graphic Card, 2GB RAM) be sufficient to run BoB?

The PC I have today is even a little bit underpowered to run FB AEP and cerainly will not run Pacific Fighters - that's why I need a new PC now - just hope that it will be capable of running BoB too.

Anyone knows?

Michael the WildeSau

WildeSau
10-12-2004, 09:12 AM
Hi there,

I know it's still a year to wait for getting BoB. But I am now evaluating a new PC and hope that I can use it to play BoB as well.

Will a todays PC (3 GB CPU, 256MB Nvidia Graphic Card, 2GB RAM) be sufficient to run BoB?

The PC I have today is even a little bit underpowered to run FB AEP and cerainly will not run Pacific Fighters - that's why I need a new PC now - just hope that it will be capable of running BoB too.

Anyone knows?

Michael the WildeSau

TgD Thunderbolt56
10-12-2004, 09:24 AM
No one knows for sure, but it would/should be safe to say that a high-end rig of today would adequately run a title released a year from now. You may however not be able to crank up ALL the eye candy by then. Heck, there are many pc's today that still can't run perfect landscape in FB.

In a way this is a good thing because it builds in some future-proofing giving the title a longer run. I have a fast rig right now and still don't run "perfect" online unless I forget and leave it on by mistake. I do, however, crank up the res, AA and AF and like the image quality I can get.

To summarize, I would say if you go high-end right now- yes it will run BoB in a year. About like a P4 2.4 will still run FB decently, but not nearly as well as a 3.4. Progress you know.

Chuck_Older
10-12-2004, 10:21 AM
"what machine is needed to run BoB properly"

a Time Machine http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

crazyivan1970
10-12-2004, 10:35 AM
That machine is not out mate... 1 Year in PC life is like... um a very long time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jumoschwanz
10-12-2004, 10:35 AM
According to Oleg in a magazine interview Pacific Fighters will run better on old video cards than AEP does. As AEP ran better and smoother on older rigs than the original Forgotten Battles did. Part of the improvement in succeeding patches is to make the sims use of computer resources more and more effiecient.

I am sure if you have at least a gig of ram and good graphics drivers you will be able to run PF as well or better than you are running AEP now. So save your money for now. The longer you hold off building a new rig the more you will get for your money. Whatever is state of the art now, in a year you will be able to build it for half the cost. I have a 1333MHZ AMD rig with 768mb of ram and a gf3ti500 that runs AEP smoothly at 1280x724, and I will bet it will run better when PF comes out. My newer rig, an xp3200 with a 9800pro, running 1600x1200/32bit, will not be discarded until I have tried running BoB on it. And I bet it will run it fine, and probably perfectly with whatever new graphics card is out at the time. S!

Jumoschwanz

Slick750
10-12-2004, 10:37 AM
LOL

S 8
10-12-2004, 10:47 AM
C 64,a few years go by to a Atari 1040 STE,a few years go by to a Acer Aspire 400 mhz PC,a few years go by to my currently Dell Dimension 8200 2.26 ghz.Quite a leap between my new computers.Wonder what next gonna be? 4Ghz?

falco_cz
10-12-2004, 01:20 PM
If you can run LOMAC smoothly you will run BoB just like that too, be sure ...

Obi_Kwiet
10-12-2004, 01:24 PM
Hmm... Let's say 8GB of RAM, an Athlon 128 6000+ running ATI's new R500 core gpu supporting PS 5.0.

VW-IceFire
10-12-2004, 04:19 PM
We won't know till BoB comes out. I'm betting it'll be about 2 years before we really see it out. Well maybe a bit less than 2 years but about that time.

So look at the gaming rigs from 2 years ago and see how they perform on the latest sims/games and you'll see quite clearly that buying for BoB now is something of a futile thing unless you're willing to spend top dollar for the top product and that may not even give you what you want when it arrives.

I figure, my current rig is 1 year old. It should have 2 more years of solid top notch performance in it before it gets overtaken. Once that happens...I'll rebuild again with the latest hardware.

WTE_DuStA
10-12-2004, 07:40 PM
no-one can specualte as to what sort of computer is going to be around in around a years time or what sort of computer is going to be able to run a game that isn't anywhere near a release. I wouldn;t bother upgrading your pc for something that will be here in a years time minimum. Upgrade your pc for now and for 3 months time and you should be ok.

TheGozr
10-13-2004, 12:01 AM
I was playing Doom 3 at 1600x1200 extra high details with out a glinch or slowing down... this was a SLI machine.

Dual VGA are the future for shure.

1.JaVA_Razer
10-13-2004, 07:50 AM
Dual VGA are not the future yet because of the synchronization that is needed for both renderd scenes to for one smooth picture.

I'd say Dual Cores are the future. their communication line sare much closer to gether, do not require pins(no interference=> no debugging/cleaning of the signal needed so smoother)

and with current hyperthreading capabilites the production cost will be low and the technique will be mature enough to handle all that.

Also, about BoB, I'd say a S939 (high end) will run BoB good enough, but with the current revolutions in computer hardware, so much can happen.

We are about to hit the 4Ghz cores, dual core and all, DDR2, SM 3.0 ....
in 2006 (normally) longhorn will be released along with direct X 10 so this will give new featers and such we cannot begin to dream of yet.

So dont count on anything yet

TheGozr
10-13-2004, 09:06 AM
Hum hum.. The synchro was perfect.
1.JaVA_Razer but i see what you mean and it make sens.

I vote for the Dual VGA and Dual CPU.

1.JaVA_Razer
10-13-2004, 10:08 AM
I see your point to be sure, and to shed some light on my 2 cents,
the synchronization IS perfect but if anything where to happen with the links on your GFX card or on the SLI "piece" then your synchonizations might get knocked out of sync.

and a GPU( dual GPU) are protected by a ceramic plate covering the chips.

oh BTW, i'll see you Dual VGA and Dual proc's and I'll add you Dual VGA's and Dual dual cores. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

So like dual Xeons but with 2Cores/proc http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

that just HAS to rock

tmdgm
10-13-2004, 09:22 PM
wildsau,

I'm in the same boat as you. I need to upgrade for PF, but there ain't no way my wife is gonna let me upgrade for BOB in 05/06. So what to do? I can either buy a good system now and hope I can at least run BOB, or hold out and suffer without PF until BOB comes out. Given Pacific is my favorite theatre, but BOB will be the filet mignon of flight sims. I figure I will probably upgrade next month to a 3.2 or so GHz machine. Get a modest vid card and hope all I need to do for BOB is upgrade vid card.

P3 933
512 sdram pc133
geforce 4 ti 4200
audigy
win me