PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive game optimization software

Tallyho1961
10-24-2005, 12:42 PM
Hi all,

Lately I've been splitting my time between IL2 and learning LOMAC, and on one of their forums this product (http://www.pgware.com/products/gamegain/) is being talked about in a positive way.

Short of overclocking (which I am not comfortable doing), or more hardware upgrades, I've got nowhere else to go performance-wise, so this seemed most interesting.

I've installed the registered version ($12USD) and noticed smoother performance, in LOMAC anyway.

I installed 4.02m over the weekend, but have only flown a couple of quick missions just to make sure everything is in order - as it seems to be - so I haven't put it to the test in IL2 yet.

Anyway I thought you might like to know about this - maybe some are already using it.

Any comments or experience with this product?

Tallyho1961
10-24-2005, 12:42 PM
Hi all,

Lately I've been splitting my time between IL2 and learning LOMAC, and on one of their forums this product (http://www.pgware.com/products/gamegain/) is being talked about in a positive way.

Short of overclocking (which I am not comfortable doing), or more hardware upgrades, I've got nowhere else to go performance-wise, so this seemed most interesting.

I've installed the registered version ($12USD) and noticed smoother performance, in LOMAC anyway.

I installed 4.02m over the weekend, but have only flown a couple of quick missions just to make sure everything is in order - as it seems to be - so I haven't put it to the test in IL2 yet.

Anyway I thought you might like to know about this - maybe some are already using it.

Any comments or experience with this product?

arcadeace
10-24-2005, 03:59 PM
Obviously they want to make money, which is fine. But when they advertise €œProven technology which can double the frames per second rate in games such as Id Software€s Doom 3 and similar shooters€ you have to know they€re highly exaggerating.

I would say if you can see improvement and don€t want to mess with hardware overclocking and optimization then its worth your money. There are known registry hacks to €˜optimize€ the CPU, as well as hacks and programs to utilize memory resource in the hope of better gaming.

I€m the opposite of you, I wouldn€t put it on my PC unless I knew and agreed with what changes in my operating system it was making. I€m into hardware overclocking.

Make sure there's no spyware.

Tallyho1961
10-24-2005, 04:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Arcadeace:
Obviously they want to make money, which is fine. But when they advertise €œProven technology which can double the frames per second rate in games such as Id Software€s Doom 3 and similar shooters€ you have to know they€re highly exaggerating.

I would say if you can see improvement and don€t want to mess with hardware overclocking and optimization then its worth your money. There are known registry hacks to €˜optimize€ the CPU, as well as hacks and programs to utilize memory resource in the hope of better gaming.

I€m the opposite of you, I wouldn€t put it on my PC unless I knew and agreed with what changes in my operating system it was making. I€m into hardware overclocking.

Make sure there's no spyware. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did check for spyware after installing and nothing turned up. And yes, the 'double your frames' claim is obvious marketing hyperbole. For 12 bucks I'd have been more than happy with a handful.

Xiolablu3
10-24-2005, 04:37 PM
They can only tweak things and increase performance so far, and if you have the latest drivers for your system and know a little about computers there is nothing that the software could do that you cannot.

The only way they could really increase performance is to decrease the visuals, they probably work like the graphics card tweakers do, setting everything to performance rather than quality.

To 'double the framerate' in Doom3 you would have to have the worst setup computer in history before you loaded up that software and play with graphics like Doom1 for it to work. As Arcadeace said, this is a massive exageration.

You may have noticed a bit of a difference but this depends on how well your comp was set up before you used the software.

Perhaps for people who know little about computers this helps. I cant see how it can work as well as they say tho.

If it was possible to get this much extra performance out of games like Doom3, I'm sure that the Doom3 forums would be suggesting you did these tweaks yourself so they could bring the system requirements down and therefore increase sales...