PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Fleetwood Mac live 2018

infocat1
11-15-2018, 03:15 AM
Anyone seen the current lineup, without Lindsey Buckingham, but with Mike Campbell (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers) and Neil Finn (Crowded House)? My mom wants me to take her, and I was wondering how the show is these days.

The_Working_Man
11-15-2018, 08:23 PM
Shoot, I can't afford to go see any bands that I liked as a kid.

Gold_Jim
11-16-2018, 07:19 PM
Interesting, I wonder who will be singing Buckingham's parts. Buckingham and Christine McVie had just recorded an album together a year or two ago. I guess that chemistry wasn't enough to get him on the road with them. Should be an all right show, but only Christine's vocals are up to her previous level. Nicks's voice was trashed during her solo years. Curious to see how it all sounds live.

infocat1
11-17-2018, 02:54 AM
I'm assuming Neil Finn, since he's the singer of the two new members.

Gold_Jim
11-18-2018, 02:11 PM
Neil Flinn wasn't exactly the best singer in Crowded House. We're talking the band that did "Black Coffee in Bed", right? I've never been one of those "let's go see that band that I never saw when I was younger" guys unless they were the line up that I really enjoyed. Pink Floyd without Waters was still Pink Floyd, you were just missing the bass player who couldn't hold a tune. Kiss is still Kiss, you just don't have a drummer and guitarist too drunk to play their parts properly. Buckingham's voice is a big part of "Big Love" and so many other songs that FM will play. Add that to his finger style guitar playing on that weird little hollow bodied guitar he plays and he's almost irreplaceable tonally.

Danny-Ramone
11-18-2018, 04:29 PM
Neil Flinn wasn't exactly the best singer in Crowded House. We're talking the band that did "Black Coffee in Bed", right?

Black Coffee in Bed - Squeeze

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUx5z9O2ZGk

Crowded house - Weather with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag8XcMG1EX4

Gold_Jim
11-19-2018, 03:03 PM
Yep, that's the guy, "Black Coffee in Bed." Works for that kind of music, but too sweet and tender for something like "Big Love". Just because Barry Manilow could hit the notes doesn't mean he's the right singer for Black Sabbath, dig?

Danny-Ramone
11-19-2018, 04:23 PM
Yep, that's the guy, "Black Coffee in Bed." Works for that kind of music, but too sweet and tender for something like "Big Love". Just because Barry Manilow could hit the notes doesn't mean he's the right singer for Black Sabbath, dig?

Yeah, but the thing is that he's not the guy that singing with Fleetwood Mac. Glenn Tillbrook is the singer of Squeeze. Neil Finn (who is in the current Fleetwood Mac lineup) sings in Crowded House, together with his brother Neil. They're best known for Weather with you, as above. You may still not think he's appropriate, but he's a different guy.

The_Working_Man
11-19-2018, 05:36 PM
Over on this side of the pond, best known for Don't Dream It's Over.

https://youtu.be/J9gKyRmic20

Black_Widow9
11-20-2018, 01:48 AM
Personally, I wouldn't miss the chance either way if you can afford it. ;)

infocat1
11-24-2018, 06:29 AM
Well, $99 per ticket (plus all those fees!). Hopefully will be worth it!

DSgamer64
11-25-2018, 06:31 PM
They cited his unwillingness to play the earlier material for kicking him out of the band in the first place. Which is dumb, because neither guy can replace a guy like Buckingham.

infocat1
02-01-2019, 09:01 PM
Well, I enjoyed it very much. Both McVie's and Nicks' voices were very fine! Finn did quite well with the Buckingham parts. Campbell's guitar sounded more like Campbell then Buckingham, but it generally worked out well. Fleetwood had quite the outgoing personality; I had no idea!

I'd say if you're even a casual Mac fan and don't mind spending the money, give it a go!

Set list, if you are interested:

The Chain
Little Lies
Dreams
Second Hand News
Say You Love Me
Black Magic Woman
Everywhere
Rhiannon
Tell Me All the Things You Do
World Turning
Gypsy
Oh Well, Part 1
Don’t Dream It’s Over (Crowded House)
Landslide
Hold Me
Monday Morning
You Make Loving Fun
Gold Dust Woman
Go Your Own Way

Encore:
Free Fallin’ (Tom Petty)
Don't Stop
All Over Again

Not really that much pre- Buckingham/Nicks, so not sure why he would have been so against it. Oh well. I was hoping for "Hypnotized", but that's the only song I felt was missed.

Black_Widow9
02-11-2019, 02:32 AM
That's so awesome! What a long setlist! :O

TheJohnNewton
02-18-2019, 04:38 PM
I thought the issue was more he wanted to tour his solo material first which would have delayed the FM tour and the rest of the band didn't want to wait. Listening to Lindsey an Christine's album. Not bad so far.

infocat1
02-19-2019, 03:18 AM
Could be. Now I am also hearing that Stevie had him kicked out for some sort of disrespect recently. Who knows!

Kimonoskunk
04-14-2019, 02:31 PM
Well from what I know, Lindsey was fired or released from the band as there were some hiccups for his own tour and Fleetwoods' where he wanted to mesh the 2 tours together or something.

When he was released (or fired) from the band, he was completely floored. He called everyone, including Christie McVee (Perfect) about what happened but she wouldn't talk about it.

As the Court was processing the case, Lindsey had a heart attack, and in saving his life, Paramedics and Doctors had to put tubes down his throat which ended up damaging his vocal chords. What happened since then i am unsure, as I only read this so far.

Even tho I am very saddened what happened, I'm glad he is still alive. But I just hope that his voice is unaffected.

I will watch this closely as I am a 'huge' Fleetwood Mac / Lindsey Buckingham fan since 1978.

Cheers,
Kimono Gryphon <><
1 Corinthians 15 : 1-4