PDA

View Full Version : Game crashes if you have too many mods collected

Dahvoo.
11-10-2018, 05:08 PM
Seems like there is a limit to how many mods you can have before game crashes after collecting just one more.

I did a count and had around [16454] mods total. If I collect one more from defeating an outlaw leader, cloning a mod, buying a mod at a shop, etc, the game would crash. Every time.

Since you can’t get rid of extra mods, only way to lower is fusing 3 lower mods into 1 higher mod. Did that for several epic to legendary, and game finally stopped crashing when collecting additional mods.

I encountered this on physical Switch version.

Dahvoo.
11-10-2018, 11:07 PM
EDIT: According to the stats page on Ubisoft Club, I have collected 16K mods. I may have miscounted, it appears crashes occurred when I had reached at least 16K mods.

ubi--unicorn
11-11-2018, 08:25 PM
Hi Dahvoo., thanks for the report. Do you get an error message when it crashes?

Dahvoo.
11-13-2018, 05:48 AM
A black screen with a boxed exclamation mark appears, with message saying “The software was closed because an error occurred”. The only option is a box for “OK” which takes you to the Switch home screen.

Dahvoo.
11-13-2018, 11:57 PM
Here is some more information as I was able to replicate the game crashes. I collecting a total of about 16454 mods and game was still running fine, then I received a mod delivery for an additional 134 mods, which brought my total to 16588. At that point getting just 1 more mod, whether by defeating an enemy, buying from a workshop, or cloning would result in a game crash.

By my guess, the max limit for mods is somewhere in between 16454-16588 mods.

The only way to bypass game crash, is to artificially lower total number of mods by doing a massive amount of fusing mods, 3 to1 each time. By doing this, I have been able to continue playing and always make sure to fuse mods if I feel I have earned to many. I also went to all 7 planets and replaced workshops so that I no longer received unwanted mods every 15 minutes.

This is only a temporary solution, as eventually I will only have legendary mods which can't be fused further or I won't have enough nova to continue fusing. At that point the game may become unplayable without a reliable way to delete/sell unwanted mods.

UbiGabrinth
11-14-2018, 06:18 PM
If possible please send in a video showing that you crash when you get a new mod but do not crash if you fuse a few mods and then get a new mod.

That would help a lot in reporting this issue and reproducing it!

Dahvoo.
11-17-2018, 02:35 AM
Sorry, I donít have capability to record a quality video and upload. The problem is real and needs to be addressed.

On the subreddit post I made, user u/Llodsiat pointed out the limit is probably 2^14 = 16,384. That number correlates well with the total number of mods I had when the crashes were occurring.

Please use that information to verify crashes on your own. You obviously canít let people have an unlimited number of mods; there has to be a cap for the data that is being used to keep track of everything.

Ubi-Gumdrops
11-17-2018, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the additional information Dahvoo.!

I've passed this along to the development team as part of the active investigation. Hope to have some updates as soon as possible :)

Dahvoo.
11-20-2018, 03:43 PM
Yay, the known issues post has been updated to mention a fix for this crash is scheduled to be included in the next update.

UbiMorning
11-28-2018, 11:33 PM
We appreciate your help Dahvoo.! :D Just to confirm, you were able to fuse mods as a work around for this issue, correct?

Dahvoo.
11-30-2018, 06:33 PM
Fusing mods worked for a while, but I'm now back to just under 16.5K mods and don't have enough nova to further fuse epic mods into legendary mods. It's a vicious cycle; you need nova to fuse mods, but to get nova you have to defeat enemies/complete missions which also reward more mods that you need to fuse to get rid of. I have spent about 10K+ nova on fusing alone but still not enough.

I haven't been able to play the game on Switch in over a week while I wait for the next update, so I hope you guys are able to push something through sooner rather than later.

UbiMorning
11-30-2018, 07:17 PM
Thank you for that info! As you know, this should be fixed in the next update (https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1945605) for Starlink. We appreciate that workaround info :)