PDA

View Full Version : OLEG: Zero development

XyZspineZyX
07-16-2003, 06:50 AM
Hi Oleg,

Ive been away from IL2 since we finished beta testing. Been busy with new baby and work. You know the drill.

Im now just getting back into IL2-FB and noticed that the ZERO is coming along nicely. I have the primary flight avionics in my home collection and have access to the sole remaining flying A6M5 (that flew in the movie PEARL HARBOR).

Id like to assist Sergey with photos of either my avionics (for exactness) or take pictures of the real cockpit if necessary.

IL2-FB is awesome and we are all waiting for the Battle Of Britian. Hopefully some day youll consider the Pacific campaign as well.

Thomas AV8R Spann
fltsimav8r@earthlink.net

XyZspineZyX
07-16-2003, 06:50 AM
Hi Oleg,

Ive been away from IL2 since we finished beta testing. Been busy with new baby and work. You know the drill.

Im now just getting back into IL2-FB and noticed that the ZERO is coming along nicely. I have the primary flight avionics in my home collection and have access to the sole remaining flying A6M5 (that flew in the movie PEARL HARBOR).

Id like to assist Sergey with photos of either my avionics (for exactness) or take pictures of the real cockpit if necessary.

IL2-FB is awesome and we are all waiting for the Battle Of Britian. Hopefully some day youll consider the Pacific campaign as well.

Thomas AV8R Spann
fltsimav8r@earthlink.net

XyZspineZyX
07-16-2003, 07:50 AM
Mr. Spann,

Are you one of the curators of the Chino "Wings of Fame" museum? (or maybe the flight museum in Santa Monica). These are the only museums that I've seen a working Zero.

Well if so (and if not so also), welcome to the forum.

I really enjoyed visiting your museum. I'm also eager to see a quality Zeke produced for the Il2/FB world.

XyZspineZyX
07-16-2003, 07:35 PM
BPK,

You do honor me with your respectfilled response.

Truth is, Im merely a paying member of the PLANES OF FAME air museum, not a curator in the strict sense. We have two Zeros here (the museum is 5 miles from my home). One is the flyable one with the original Sakai engine, and the second is still in an advanced state of restoration.

(attached picture is my daughter and myself near the zero under restoration. You may have to copy/paste this into your browser address field being GEOCITIES doesnt support file linking directly)
http://www.geocities.com/fltsimav8r/pics/tmaszero.jpg

The ZERO is one of my favorite WW2 a/c as you can guess.

There's a great web based site tour at:
http://www.planesoffame.org

Cheers,

AV8R

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 04:16 AM
People like you are one of the main reasons why I keep coming back to this forum. So much talent, so much diversity..you gotta love it man...../i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

<CENTER>http://www.world-wide-net.com/tuskegeeairmen/ta-1943.jpg <marquee><FONT COLOR="RED"><FONT SIZE="+1">"Straighten up.......Fly right..~S~"<FONT SIZE> </marquee> http://www.geocities.com/rt_bearcat

<CENTER><FONT COLOR="ORANGE">vflyer@comcast.net<FONT COLOR>
<Center><div style="width:200;color:red;font-size:18pt;filter:shadow Blur[color=red,strength=8)">99th Pursuit Squadron

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 05:30 AM
waddup av old bean?
S! A

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 05:46 AM
Hay AV8R. I live in Orange County and visit Chino quite often for my research! I love that Zero, and the crashed Betty on display is awesome. I also remember an AV8R that owened a BBS a long time ago. I dont think you would be one in the same? You ever own a BBS in Orange County?

Gib
http://gibbageart.havagame.com

I am now accepting donations to help get the PBY flyable.

<center><form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_xclick">
<input type="hidden" name="business" value="gibbage@lycos.com">
<input type="hidden" name="item_name" value="Gibbages IL2; FB PBY Catalina Fund">
<input type="hidden" name="no_note" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="currency_code" value="USD">
<input type="hidden" name="tax" value="0">
<input type="image" src="http://gibbageart.havagame.com/donations.gif" border="0" name="submit" alt="Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!">
</form></center>

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 06:04 AM
AV8R wrote:
- Truth is, Im merely a paying member of the PLANES OF
- FAME air museum, not a curator in the strict sense.

Ah CHINO! Did you make it to the air show a few weeks back?

- We have two Zeros here (the museum is 5 miles from
- my home). One is the flyable one with the original
- Sakai engine, and the second is still in an advanced
- state of restoration.

Yup, and the flyable one with the orginial sakai engine is the only one in the world that has it and is flyable! Ten years ago or so it was the only flyable zero in the world, but now there are many... but none of them have the orginal engine... at least last time I checked! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

- (attached picture is my daughter and myself near the
- zero under restoration. You may have to copy/paste
- this into your browser address field being GEOCITIES
- doesnt support file linking directly)

That you standing on the wing?

- The ZERO is one of my favorite WW2 a/c as you can
- guess.

Neat thing about CHINO is it is near NORCO and the guys at CHINO fly down south to San Diego alot... Thus just about every weekend a P51 or some other WWII aircraft flys over my house. And during the air show they did the final fly by on saturday... evey ac up.. and they all flew right over my house... Very cool! B17s, F4us, F4Fs, P38s, P51s... etc.. Smelled like VICTORY! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

TAGERT
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If WAR was not the ANSWER.. Than what the H was your QUESTION?

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 06:43 PM
Dear Bearcat,

Im going to make an assumption here, forgive me if Im wrong. Based upon your signature graphic, I take it youre a Tuskagee fan. Well I have a real story for you. Last week I was back East visiting my relatives. We went to a small little down looking for antiques (one of my hobbies I share with my wife). Darn if I didnt stumble upon a little WW2 museum out there. The guy turned his own collection into storefront public museum. In it, besides a wonderful array of WW2 collectibles (rare ones), he had a Tuskagee poster and some other related pennants of the time - and a set of flight helmet/goggles. I asked him about the helmet. He told me that an afro-american man came in one day and was so impressed that anyone remembered Tuskagee. Well a month or so later, this same man came back and handed the museum owner a paper bag. In it was this set of helmet and goggles. The story behind these was that they belonged to his uncle who was not only a Tuskagee airman, but one of the flight instructors. Talk about rarer than thin air! This man refused to be paid for the item and walked out.

Thanks for the kind words you said about people like myself. Ive always been into simming for the community more than for the "glory". WW2 sim communities are the most romantic, loyal and mature of any genre Ive been around. Yes theres always a few knuckle heads, but overall WW2 history buffs are the best (with a few exceptions like the FREEBIRDSWING which are uncommonly mature for a Jetsim squad).

============

Dear Aristo (Mr. Banjo Man)

What can I say, you continue to spell bind me with your southern comfort style of squad comradarie. I always enjoy flying or dying at your hands.

S!

===========

Dear Mr. Gibbage,

I dont remember owning a BBS. I was one of the 3 original writers for COMBATSIM.COM ages ago when my dear friend Len Halimajarin "VIKING1" and I used to write sim reviews. My thing was multiplayer reviews. Those days are a fading memory...

Good luck on your PBY, I assume youre not affiliate with the POF?

============

Hello Tagert.

Somehow youre callsign seems very familiar. Cant place it though. Yes I go to the POF Airshow every year. Its been a family tradition for a while now. I have a ton of pictures from the airshows. My daughter and I go a friends rather than as father/daughter. Its one of those bonding things you know will payback someday.

Again yes, thats my ole carcass on that beautiful Zero. Kind of a crime isnt it? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Theres something of a touchstone quality when a history and flight sim buff can actually reach out and touch history physically. I remember when I first jumped up on the Me262 they had here (which has now been sold off). Its like the VULCARIE - smells like victory! Things like that inspired me to collect WW2 a/c collectibles.

Now for a story for you...

All the times that Ive been at the POF Airshow, my favorite thing is to go thru the Los Angeles B17G that shows up each year. Wishing like heck that Id get to ride in it one day. Well.... while I went to this little airshow in upstate NY, there was a Yankee AirForce (as opposed to the Confederate Airforce) B17G. And they were selling rides in her!!!!!!!!!! A dream came true. Wasnt cheap ($350 for about 40 minute flight). But was worth every penny of it and some. Memories that you take with you your whole life.

Some day, Ill get my butt up in the two seater P51 out here in Chino. I think it goes for about $500/ride. The other thing I want to do is try out the AIRCOMBAT in Fullerton CA and do some dogfighting. I bet youd be up for that! Bring a big wallet.

S!

AV8R

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 07:45 PM
hey Av8 made me smile with the story about the guy giving the goggles and helmet to the little museum /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif and not wanting to accept money-

thanks,
CG

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 08:10 PM
Hi AV8R,

You sound as if you know for certain that the Battle of Britain will be a theatre addon for this great sim. Is this true? Or are you just wishful thinking out loud? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Thanks,

BobTuck.

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 09:58 PM
I wish I was affiliated with them. If I could, I would donate mass ammounts of money to them to help keep those wonderful aircraft flying. They did let me up on the static P-80 for photo's of the cockpit and are very frieldly in general. I have a banner on my web page as a thank you for that.

Gib

AV8R wrote:
-
- Dear Mr. Gibbage,
-
- I dont remember owning a BBS. I was one of the 3
- original writers for COMBATSIM.COM ages ago when my
- dear friend Len Halimajarin "VIKING1" and I used to
- write sim reviews. My thing was multiplayer
- reviews. Those days are a fading memory...
-
- Good luck on your PBY, I assume youre not affiliate
- with the POF?
-

I am now accepting donations to help get the PBY flyable.

<center><form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_xclick">
<input type="hidden" name="business" value="gibbage@lycos.com">
<input type="hidden" name="item_name" value="Gibbages IL2; FB PBY Catalina Fund">
<input type="hidden" name="no_note" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="currency_code" value="USD">
<input type="hidden" name="tax" value="0">
<input type="image" src="http://gibbageart.havagame.com/donations.gif" border="0" name="submit" alt="Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!">
</form></center>

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 10:57 PM
Welcome AV8R!

Please any more stories or other anecdotes are more than appreciated here. Pics too!

Regards

<center>http://members.rogers.com/4xtreme/chbanner.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-18-2003, 05:11 AM
AV8R wrote:
- Dear Bearcat,
-
- Im going to make an assumption here, forgive me if
- Im wrong. Based upon your signature graphic, I
- take it youre a Tuskagee fan. *SNIP*

WOW.. cool story, reminds me of one. About 5 years ago I was out at chino, and bought the T-Shirt of the P51 cockpit, with the new paper on the seat saying something like WE WON! Well, that is only half of the story.. I work in Redondo Beach for one of the Aerospace companys... There is a.. not sure what to call it.. a place we go for lunch that serves soal food.. A buddy of mine, who is black, says it is a pretty famouse place, over in lawndale by the golf corse.. Anyway, my buddy takes me there one day, and I happen to be waring that T-Shirt under another shirt.. Well it was hot so I took the outer shirt off when I was in the restrant.. Well we were sitting down and eating and this old black man walks up to me and says "You Fly Mustangs?" I look at him kind of strange.. in that I had forgot I had the shirt on... I said "Pardon me?" He pulls on my T-Shirt and said again... "You fly Mustangs? I use to fly Mustangs" At which point I realised what he was pointing at and said.. Oh no, just bought the shirt. Well long story short... I know I know.. too late... but long story short it turns out he was a Tuskagee pilot!! Well I sat there and talked to the guy for the rest of the day... Well actually he talked an I just listened... After all that he had to go, and I noticed he was still looking at my T-shirt.. I said "Would you like this shirt?" He said "It sure is a bute!" So, basically I gave him the shirt off my back! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif And I wish I had more to give!! His storys alone were worth a truck load of T-Shirts! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

TAGERT
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If WAR was not the ANSWER.. Than what the H was your QUESTION?

XyZspineZyX
07-18-2003, 05:29 AM
I love it!!!

<CENTER>http://www.world-wide-net.com/tuskegeeairmen/ta-1943.jpg <marquee><FONT COLOR="RED"><FONT SIZE="+1">"Straighten up.......Fly right..~S~"<FONT SIZE> </marquee> http://www.geocities.com/rt_bearcat

<CENTER><FONT COLOR="ORANGE">vflyer@comcast.net<FONT COLOR>
<Center><div style="width:200;color:red;font-size:18pt;filter:shadow Blur[color=red,strength=8)">99th Pursuit Squadron

XyZspineZyX
07-18-2003, 03:48 PM
Very cool story Tagert. Also a class act. Too bad we didnt talk earlier, you could have asked him if he had a nephew in upstate NY. I cant imagine too many of these guys are left by now.

Did you know there was a ballon barrage regiment that was all AfroAmerican that even went to Normandy on DDay? They knocked down a LW a/c that was strafing the troops.

AV8R

Message Edited on 07/21/0306:59AM by AV8R

XyZspineZyX
07-21-2003, 08:01 AM
bump

XyZspineZyX
07-21-2003, 08:38 AM
Thomas,

A6M5 and M2 are in progress. So if you have good photos of the cockpit(s), just sent them to me. /i/smilies/16x16_robot-happy.gif Sergey now is working in my team (in office /i/smilies/16x16_robot-happy.gif )

If you forgot my address: mado@1c.ru

AV8R wrote:
- Hi Oleg,
-
- Ive been away from IL2 since we finished beta
- testing. Been busy with new baby and work. You
- know the drill.
-
- Im now just getting back into IL2-FB and noticed
- that the ZERO is coming along nicely. I have the
- primary flight avionics in my home collection and
- have access to the sole remaining flying A6M5 (that
- flew in the movie PEARL HARBOR).
-
- Id like to assist Sergey with photos of either my
- avionics (for exactness) or take pictures of the
- real cockpit if necessary.
-
- IL2-FB is awesome and we are all waiting for the
- Battle Of Britian. Hopefully some day youll
- consider the Pacific campaign as well.
-
- Thomas AV8R Spann
- fltsimav8r@earthlink.net
-
-

Oleg Maddox
1C:Maddox Games

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 11:49 PM
Oleg,

You already got the Zero's gunsight pics from me.

The 6 cockpit avionics pics are on there way.

Thomas

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 12:02 AM
S!
You are one that rocks.... congratulations...

-------------------------------------
Luftwaffe Brasil
For├ža e Honra!

]http://www.erichhartmann.hpg.com.br/newbo.gif (http://www.erichhartmann.hpg.com.br/newbo.gif[/img)

LBR=Hartmann in HL