PDA

View Full Version : How to improve PS camera recognition?

deathfisaro
11-03-2018, 11:12 PM
Generally fails to recognize moves here and there, usually not a problem but been trying Bang Bang Bang Extreme for like dozen tries and it's really frustrating.

I have about 3m of space I can use, I usually stand about 2m away because recognition goes down if I stand further.

The camera never recognizes my foot, only up to my ankle no matter whether I go barefoot, socks, slippers, etc

It frequently fails to recognizes my arms, it appears really thin and often disappears then reappears shortly after.

It has difficulty recognizing arms in front of torso for arm cross moves, etc.

When I'm unfamiliar with the moves I'm not sour about getting X's but once I've memorized the choreography and get the small details right I'm super unhappy with receiving Xs let alone good or super.

I think the game really needs a replay mode where it can convince me why my move was deserving of anything less than perfect.

Getting XBO / Kinect is not a realistic option. There are people getting 13.2k on PS4 so there must be a way to just improve camera recognition.

UbiSc0ttie
11-03-2018, 11:30 PM
Generally fails to recognize moves here and there, usually not a problem but been trying Bang Bang Bang Extreme for like dozen tries and it's really frustrating.

I have about 3m of space I can use, I usually stand about 2m away because recognition goes down if I stand further.

The camera never recognizes my foot, only up to my ankle no matter whether I go barefoot, socks, slippers, etc

It frequently fails to recognizes my arms, it appears really thin and often disappears then reappears shortly after.

When I'm unfamiliar with the moves I'm not sour about getting X's but once I've memorized the choreography and get the small details right I'm super unhappy with receiving Xs let alone good or super.

I think the game really needs a replay mode where it can convince me why my move was deserving of anything less than perfect.

Getting XBO / Kinect is not a realistic option. There are people getting 13.2k on PS4 so there must be a way to just improve camera recognition.

Hey @deathfisaro
Welcome to the Forums!

Thanks for letting us know, and great suggestion on the replay mode. I will pass this along.

- Scottie

greekphysics
11-04-2018, 03:23 AM

Warfutt has a great post on the 2017 community forum called The PS4 PS Camera Guide. You can find it at the following link:
https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1543743-The-PS4-PS-Camera-guide

I had a similar experience this summer when I tried the PS4 camera for the first time. I had mastered JD 2018 via Xbox Kinect, yet with the PS4 camera I was taking X's on some of the dance in unusual places. It took me several weeks to finally figure out how to optimize my camera, background, flooring, clothing, etc. to my satisfaction.

The first problem that I noticed was that the camera was getting confused by shadows. I had some clever ideas for combatting those shadows, but most of them had side effects (for example, they introduced side lighting which causes another problem). I finally found that placing one photography light (with a photography umbrella so the light doesn't blind me while I dance) above the t.v. (and above and behind the camera, so light doesn't enter the lens directly) eliminates the shadow problem (because the shadows are hidden behind your body relative to the camera) if your room lights are off, doors are shut, windows are covered, etc.

Like you, I had issues with rapid hand motions from side to side or with arms passing in front of my body, like John Wayne (main version) or Love Ward. I found bright green gloves that contrasted with my shirt (not just contrasted to my eye, but that appeared different colors in the camera's video feed that I see when I first turn my PS4 on, or when I go to camera setup).

To help with the arms, I wear a shirt with bright yellow sleeves and over that I wear a blue sleeveless shirt. If you have too much light, different colors may all appear white in the video feed, but with too little light, it's dark, grainy, and may have facial recognition issues. If the light is right, it can tell the different between my yellow sleeves and blue shirt, but some combinations (like yellow and green and orange) look the same color in the video feed. Personally, I've had better luck with solid bright colors (but not red, and not as much luck with white) against a dark background; I've had trouble with stripes, patterns, etc.

I also spent a great deal of time trying to create a uniform, seamless background and flooring.

It's a shame that Sony hasn't created a plug-and-play camera experience comparable to Xbox Kinect. However, it is possible to hit scores with PS4 that are close to what Xbox offers. Like you, I see other PS4 camera players hitting amazing scores. Also, with 2019, most of my PS4 scores are pretty close to my Xbox Kinect scores (and some are actually better with the PS4).

There are occasionally moves where the camera (even Xbox Kinect) can be really picky over what later seems like a small detail. It's frustrating when you feel like most of your body must be 90% in sync, yet you see an X on the screen. But sometimes this happens on a tricky move, and when I finally figure out how to hit the perfect, I finally understand what the game had been looking for. I wish it would give OK's in these instances instead of X's when the problem turns out to be a subtle detail. That way, when we see an X, we would know it's a camera issue and not a sneaky scoring issue. Sometimes, when I finally figure it out, it doesn't seem sneaky at all; I see that it was a clear technical foul. The more moves I have figured out over the years, the fewer such situations I find myself in the future; the experience of learning hundreds of dances helps (these are the valuable lessons that Just Dance Unlimited has to offer).

I have my camera on top of the t.v., and for many of the dances I stand about 9-10 feet from the camera and it works just fine. This gives me enough room to take a couple of steps forward when the choreography requires it. (There are dances where the PS4 camera penalizes you for not making the expected front/back motions.) I make sure that my feet and hands are all clearly visible even when I walk a couple of steps forward and jump up with my arms over my head. Before the dance begins, it's hard to see the shape of your shoes. This isn't just a PS4 issue, it also happens sometimes with Xbox Kinect. But that's where your face shoes from the live video feed, so maybe it's mainly an issue when selecting your dancer. How do your feet appear in the little box at the top of the screen after the dance has begun? (That's what counts.) For most of the dances, my footwear doesn't seem to matter. In most cases, I can wear socks or tennis shoes without a noticeable scoring change, but with Footloose, I hit a better score with shoes on. Clothes that reveal the shape of your body better help you to convince the camera that your posture, leg angles, and arm angles are correct.

The PS4 camera can also get confused easily by furniture, stuff in the background (sometimes small), wiping your head with a towel, etc., and the quality of the image can degrade over time (in which case closing the software helps to refresh it).

It's worth experimenting with your camera position, lighting, background, flooring options (if any), clothing, etc. I spent much time moving around in my room and studying the picture that I see before the dance begins trying to better understand how the camera works and what issues it might be seeing in the background. Try to find Just Dance videos on YouTube made with the PS4 camera (many are made with Xbox, but some are clearly marked as PS4), and it will help to see what seems to work for other dancers.

Note also that what seems to "work" for one dance may not work so well with another dance. This is one reason that it took me a long time to optimize my camera. I would find something that would work for a few dances and think I finally had it, but then discover that it created a different problem with other dances.

Also, what works for others may not work perfectly for you, since we all have different sized rooms, different lights, different clothing, etc. The environment in everybody's room is different. You have to try out a variety of ideas to find the best solution for you.

Good luck and happy dancing.

Note also that what seems to "work" for one dance may not work so well with another dance. This is one reason that it took me a long time to optimize my camera. I would find something that would work for a few dances and think I finally had it, but then discover that it created a different problem with other dances.

Well, that adds to the experience if you look at the bright side, you're like a real dancer changing your outfit between the songs! Jokes aside, thanks for helpful post. After all these adjustments, can you say it works better than just using your move/smartphone? Because I'm tried of just getting my right hand tracked. It makes me lazy, I'm not a real good dancer but getting 5 starts on first time try extremes is definitely not about my dancing skills but rather how accurately i can move my right arm. :nonchalance:

greekphysics
11-05-2018, 01:49 PM
After all these adjustments, can you say it works better than just using your move/smartphone? Because I'm tried of just getting my right hand tracked. It makes me lazy, I'm not a real good dancer but getting 5 starts on first time try extremes is definitely not about my dancing skills but rather how accurately i can move my right arm.
Personally, I hit better scores across most of the dances using the camera, but when I first made the transition from remote/phone play to camera play, it was a difficult adjustment for me. At first I was doing worse on most of the songs, and it took weeks of learning to catch up, but for me it proved to be worth it.

I know a few PS Move players who hit impressive scores (many 13000's) across most of the dances, but I find it easier to hit 13000's and high 12000's with the camera (especially on harder or extreme dances). But dancing with the camera is challenging: It's not easy to get your entire body to match the coach, there are a lot of subtle things to learn (that was my experience), and the scoring can seem frustrating until you get experience with a variety of moves (and until you get the camera setup to work fairly well).

Ubi-Lucipus
11-05-2018, 06:06 PM
I was going to share the guide from our community member as well but greekphysics beat me to it, great supporting there! :o

The guide will give you some pointers on how to improve the camera recognition and I hope that you try the steps.

Let me know if those works out for you deathfisaro:)

Personally, I hit better scores across most of the dances using the camera, but when I first made the transition from remote/phone play to camera play, it was a difficult adjustment for me. At first I was doing worse on most of the songs, and it took weeks of learning to catch up, but for me it proved to be worth it.

I know a few PS Move players who hit impressive scores (many 13000's) across most of the dances, but I find it easier to hit 13000's and high 12000's with the camera (especially on harder or extreme dances). But dancing with the camera is challenging: It's not easy to get your entire body to match the coach, there are a lot of subtle things to learn (that was my experience), and the scoring can seem frustrating until you get experience with a variety of moves (and until you get the camera setup to work fairly well).
Alright thanks for reply! My experience with the PS camera has been the opposite of what many others had. I think it's recognizing me more than I appreciate, even the awkward body movements count as pass? At least it's much better than PS move.
I have like 20 little white LED bulbs in my living room, so it's pretty bright and cameras (including smartphones) film it as flickers whenever I launch any camera app. I can see my silhouette is correct on the screen, but something about the depth calculations seem inaccurate. I'll try the guide because I feel like I'm cheating!

greekphysics
11-09-2018, 08:53 PM
been trying Bang Bang Bang Extreme for like dozen tries and it's really frustrating.
I tried Bang Bang Bang Extreme for the first time today. (I've been taking it slow; I still have a dozen dances that I haven't even attempted, but today I have finally tried all six extremes.)

I hit Megastars on my first attempt both with the PS4 camera and with Xbox Kinect. In fact, my PS4 camera score was better by one to two hundred points. The dance is doable with the PS4 camera, and I don't see any advantage with Xbox Kinect on this particular dance.

I felt that my PS4 camera scored me quite well for this dance. On my mistakes (good's and OK's), I knew as I was making the move that I was either a little off in timing and synchronization, or that my technique was a little off. I definitely need some more reps with this dance.

This dance is really action packed. I worked hard to always be ready for what's coming next even before finishing the current move, and there are a lot of little foot steps to squeeze in there. It's a difficult dance to be fully synchronized with the coach throughout.

It starts out easy, which I felt was a nice way to get into the momentum of an extreme (Work Work similarly had a few easy moves in the beginning, though it's not always easy to get the camera to recognize you down on the floor). It really gets busy, especially at the end, and the gold moves are worthy of an extreme.

There are a few tricky moves in this dance, especially towards the end. I won't reveal what the tricks are, but if you're missing moves later in the dance (after the slow moves in different colors), study video of the coach and look very closely at what the coach is doing.

As far as recognizing your arms go, try wearing sleeves (if you can handle the added heat and sweat; maybe if you can add fans or crank up the A/C; but you don't want to pass out from heat exhaustion). They add a little thickness to your arms, and if the sleeves contrast well enough for the camera (check this on the video feed in camera setup; makes sure it doesn't look white on white, even though your clothes are color; it sometimes does if it's bright in your room), like blue against yellow, it may help the camera pick up your arms passing in front of your body. Costume gloves might help it better pick up the hands, too.