PDA

View Full Version : [HTC_Vive] Game crashes when toggling Steam VR overlay

filmgeek47
11-01-2018, 12:14 AM
I've been playing this game since launch without too many issues. Took a break for a few weeks, and today when I came back the game was crashing every time I opened the SteamVR menu. Happens every single time I pull it up.

Running the latest version of steamVR (not beta) on an HTC Vive Pro.

Would love to get this resolved as it's impossible to even check the time now without either taking off the headset or losing the game I'm in.

I'd also love to see a fix to the incredibly game breaking transporter bug, which has been in the game since the DLC launch several months ago.

UbiChrisMANG
11-01-2018, 06:23 PM
Hello filmgeek47! If the crashing persists you may wish to contact our Support team, they might be able to resolve this for you. You can reach them here:

If you would like to submit a Support Ticket for help you can do so here:
https://support.ubi.com

You can also reach out to our Facebook and Twitter Support pages here:
https://www.facebook.com/UbisoftSupport/
https://twitter.com/UbisoftSupport

ClingingMars
11-08-2018, 05:09 AM
I've been playing this game since launch without too many issues. Took a break for a few weeks, and today when I came back the game was crashing every time I opened the SteamVR menu. Happens every single time I pull it up.

Running the latest version of steamVR (not beta) on an HTC Vive Pro.

Would love to get this resolved as it's impossible to even check the time now without either taking off the headset or losing the game I'm in.

I'd also love to see a fix to the incredibly game breaking transporter bug, which has been in the game since the DLC launch several months ago.

I am experiencing the exact same issue.

UbiGabrinth
11-08-2018, 07:03 PM
Please use a different USB port. Also please see if lowering your refresh rate has any effect on this issue.

Let me know what happens.

ClingingMars
11-08-2018, 11:36 PM
Please use a different USB port. Also please see if lowering your refresh rate has any effect on this issue.

Let me know what happens.

Same result.

UbiGabrinth
11-10-2018, 01:23 AM
Thanks for letting me know. Please disable background applications (https://support.ubi.com/en-gb/faqs/000025721/Disabling-Background-Application/) and run Steam as administrator. Those steps should help with any software conflicts. Please also verify the game in Steam (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335).

filmgeek47
11-14-2018, 09:36 PM
UbiGabbin, appreciate you chiming in, but it couldn't be any clearer that this is a compatibility issue with the game and a recent steamVR update. None of my other games have this problem, so we shouldn't be having to muck around with our USB ports... Doesn't make any sense.

UbiGabrinth
11-15-2018, 08:11 PM
Performing troubleshooting is necessary before I can report issues. I am perfectly willing to assume that this issue is bigger than just two people, but I need to know that basic steps have been performed before I have this looked into.

ClingingMars
11-16-2018, 12:44 AM
Thanks for letting me know. Please disable background applications (https://support.ubi.com/en-gb/faqs/000025721/Disabling-Background-Application/) and run Steam as administrator. Those steps should help with any software conflicts. Please also verify the game in Steam (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335).

Same result

UbiGabrinth
11-17-2018, 02:55 AM
I'd like to see if I can spot the errors themselves and find the cause. Please reach out to our team with your system files (https://support.ubi.com/en-US/faqs/000023904/How-To-Submit-Dxdiag-MSinfo/) and leave the case number here so I can take a look.

ClingingMars
11-30-2018, 07:04 AM
I'd like to see if I can spot the errors themselves and find the cause. Please reach out to our team with your system files (https://support.ubi.com/en-US/faqs/000023904/How-To-Submit-Dxdiag-MSinfo/) and leave the case number here so I can take a look.

My case number was 07316202 until it was closed without resolution. The support agent was trying to tell me it was an issue with another running program despite this never being an issue with any of these programs and multiple users having the same issue.

filmgeek47
11-30-2018, 08:15 AM
I used to work in tech support, so I more than appreciate the need to troubleshoot. That said, it helps when the troubleshooting is logical and relevant to the issue at hand. The hoops we’re being asked to jump through just don’t make sense for the problem at hand. If this were a usb bandwidth issue, we’d be seeing it with other games. Since several of us have confirmed that isn’t the case, it’s clearly something specific to bridgecrew, steamVR, and Uplay.

Even Ignoring that logic though, I’d happily jump through all the hoops if this were my first time dealing with Ubisoft support. Sadly, it’s not. I’ve attempted to have several bugs addressed in this game, and every time I’ve been messed around with, only to have my case “automatically close.” This game specifically has an atrocious track record regarding known issues that have been painstakingly highlighted by members of the community, only to have the bulk of them completely ignored by the development team and support.

I have two different tech savvy friends who have given up on ever playing bridge crew again after multiple hours spent just trying to get the game to launch without either crashing or losing audio. That’s unacceptable for a small time developer, and doubly so from a major AAA game publisher.

So forgive me for no longer having the patience to play ball.

ClingingMars
12-01-2018, 12:55 AM
I used to work in tech support, so I more than appreciate the need to troubleshoot. That said, it helps when the troubleshooting is logical and relevant to the issue at hand. The hoops we’re being asked to jump through just don’t make sense for the problem at hand. If this were a usb bandwidth issue, we’d be seeing it with other games. Since several of us have confirmed that isn’t the case, it’s clearly something specific to bridgecrew, steamVR, and Uplay.

Even Ignoring that logic though, I’d happily jump through all the hoops if this were my first time dealing with Ubisoft support. Sadly, it’s not. I’ve attempted to have several bugs addressed in this game, and every time I’ve been messed around with, only to have my case “automatically close.” This game specifically has an atrocious track record regarding known issues that have been painstakingly highlighted by members of the community, only to have the bulk of them completely ignored by the development team and support.

I have two different tech savvy friends who have given up on ever playing bridge crew again after multiple hours spent just trying to get the game to launch without either crashing or losing audio. That’s unacceptable for a small time developer, and doubly so from a major AAA game publisher.

So forgive me for no longer having the patience to play ball.

Another ex-Service Desk guy here and I tend to agree. I have tested with with a reset version of Windows and a wiped version of Windows, both with the same result.

UbiMorning
12-05-2018, 07:31 PM
Hi ClingingMars! I noticed that your ticket was closed for this issue, so I did reopen it for you. An agent had asked for you to disable any other overlay programs you may have enabled to see if there are any kind of software conflicts with the SteamVR Overlay. Let us know and update your ticket if you found anything from that!

Felio2006
12-07-2018, 08:32 PM
It's a widespread issue. My guess is that it occurs for 100% of Vive users 100% of the time.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/527100/discussions/0/1735468693687878732/

I've jumped through all of Ubisoft Support's hoops, updating everything and disabling everything and replugging everything, and then they told me it's Steam's fault and to take it up with them. I told them that's absurd; STBC is the only game with this problem, and they said they'd pass it on to the Ubisoft developers as a bug. But who knows if they actually did.

As a matter of fact I did take it up with Steam, and after going through all their troubleshooting steps, Steam says it's Ubisoft's problem, by the way.

UbiGabrinth
12-09-2018, 07:45 PM
A player mentioned a workaround in the Steam community page. It was to delete, move, or rename C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\gameoverlayrenderer64.dll

Does the workaround allow you to temporarily access the overlay? If so, please let me know. Note that I'm not looking to this as a 'fix'. I'm attempting to see if this is working for all users, as that would indicate a clear cause.

Apeneck_Sweeny
12-21-2018, 06:35 PM
I can confirm that deleting or renaming the GameOverlayRenderer64.dll prevents the crash and allows the SteamVR menu button to work correctly.

Note: Steam will reinstall this file each time the client is launched, so this must be done each play session after Steam is launched.

Hope this helps!

UbiMorning
12-21-2018, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the update! :D

ClingingMars
12-30-2018, 08:33 PM
Hi ClingingMars! I noticed that your ticket was closed for this issue, so I did reopen it for you. An agent had asked for you to disable any other overlay programs you may have enabled to see if there are any kind of software conflicts with the SteamVR Overlay. Let us know and update your ticket if you found anything from that!

I have already tested this with a clean version of Windows and it did not have any effect.

A player mentioned a workaround in the Steam community page. It was to delete, move, or rename C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\gameoverlayrenderer64.dll

Does the workaround allow you to temporarily access the overlay? If so, please let me know. Note that I'm not looking to this as a 'fix'. I'm attempting to see if this is working for all users, as that would indicate a clear cause.

I can confirm that this workaround works for me.

UbiGabrinth
12-31-2018, 08:53 PM
Thanks for letting us know. I'm reaching out about this issue to the team.

Murmele95
01-05-2019, 03:41 PM
I am having the same problem with my Windows MR headset (Lenovo explorer): Clicking the windows button on the VR controller crashes the game.
Please fix this.

ClingingMars
01-09-2019, 01:52 AM
There was an update to the game today, tested it out, same result. After you select your controller anytime you hit the Steam menu button on the controller it crashes.

UbiMorning
01-09-2019, 08:29 PM
Can you guys check with this work around?

@ClingingMars I saw you already tried it. Can you see if the file came back after the update?