PDA

View Full Version : Ati 3850HD 512mb much better as Atix1950pro?

potver
11-02-2009, 07:02 AM
Is it much better on an old system? They are not expensive now.
P4 3,2Ghz
2 Gig Ram
WiXP

potver
11-02-2009, 07:02 AM
Is it much better on an old system? They are not expensive now.
P4 3,2Ghz
2 Gig Ram
WiXP

p1ngu666
11-02-2009, 07:13 AM
yes.

potver
11-02-2009, 07:58 AM
P1ngu666

In what way?

VMF-214_HaVoK
11-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Better in other applications but when it comes to IL2 I doubt you see a major difference in FPS. The thing about IL2 is it is so reliant on CPU power rather then GPU. You will probably be able to squeeze out a little more AA and AF but I would not expect miracles. If IL2 is all you play I would stick with your current card till SoW gets closer. But if you currently play a lot of DirectX games I would look into picking up a new card.

S!

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-02-2009, 12:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
Better in other applications but when it comes to IL2 I doubt you see a major difference in FPS. The thing about IL2 is it is so reliant on CPU power rather then GPU. You will probably be able to squeeze out a little more AA and AF but I would not expect miracles. If IL2 is all you play I would stick with your current card till SoW gets closer. But if you currently play a lot of DirectX games I would look into picking up a new card.

S! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

^This...

potver
11-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks guys, was expecting it and a Cpu of more than 3.2Ghz are hard to get for a nice price, and the gain...?

thefruitbat
11-02-2009, 01:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:

S! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does still matter when it comes to bumping up the resolution though. I mean better gfx cards in general.

VMF-214_HaVoK
11-02-2009, 08:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thefruitbat:

S! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does still matter when it comes to bumping up the resolution though. I mean better gfx cards in general. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure it does. Although it depends on how dramatically the leap is from one GPU to another. The one he currently has vs the one he is inquiring is a different story. You will see no major performance increases as far as max resolutions go.

S!

Mr_Zooly
11-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Also consider the PCIE slot on your mainboard, is it 8x or 16x? this might make a bit of a difference.

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-03-2009, 04:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr_Zooly:
Also consider the PCIE slot on your mainboard, is it 8x or 16x? this might make a bit of a difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AGP....

Stiletto-
11-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Upgrading to another AGP card is a complete waste of time. It would be best to wait out awhile longer and upgrade the whole system when it can be done.

doraemil
11-04-2009, 02:53 AM
Agree with Bill, I wouldn't bother upgrading a single core P4, save your $$ for dual core if you want just an IL-2 machine, or a BOB SOW PC later.

RamsteinUSA
11-04-2009, 08:12 AM
I have a Radeon X1950 pro 512mb in a computer with P4 3.2 ghz. I also have a computer with a Radeon HD3870 and run it with a due2core cpu. But, I originally had a Radeon 2900 pro. The Radeon 2900 Pro was giving me a problem, and when I sent it back to Sapphire they asked me if I would take a Radeon 3870 back in exhcnage for the 2900 Pro. it was a huge mistake! It is a toal POS! There are several models, apparently of the HD 3870. They gave me the crap POS one! My old 2900 pro kicked it's ***!

But, I say don't bother messing with a P4 cpu, it's just getting old.. but, if you can find a Radeon 2900 pro very cheap I would go for that. But only if it were maybe $50.

You really need at the minimum due2core and at least xx90 series Radeon or a good Nvidia.

IMHO