PDA

View Full Version : Changing controller layout

Starfire811
10-17-2018, 10:29 AM
Is there a way to change the controller layout, or at least just switch the function of the 2 joysticks.
Because as left handed person it is nearly impossible for me to play the game with the standard layout.
Thanks!

UbiMatcha
10-17-2018, 11:19 AM
Hey Starfire811, welcome to the forum!

It's currently not possible to customise the controls, however we have received similar feedback and are looking into possible resolutions!
I recommend keeping an eye on the forum and website (https://starlink.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/home) for any updates.

Thanks!

Starfire811
10-17-2018, 11:26 AM
Not what I wanted to hear but thanks for the quick response :D

SpoonZgfx
10-18-2018, 12:39 AM
Same deal. I know Iíll probab get used to it but putting pitch and yaw on left stick and throttle strafe on right would be a bonus.

Tockl
10-18-2018, 07:38 PM
Had similar difficulties when in flight mode. Wish the controls were closer to a 'flight sim' instead of staying FPS, which is not an issue when skimming a planet surface.

UbiMatcha
10-19-2018, 09:06 AM
Thanks for your feedback, pilots!

DigitalSpectre
10-19-2018, 12:11 PM
I'd actually prefer to move Hyperspace from Right Bumper to Y, and use RB as shield while in space. Its a real PITA that your primary defensive measure is in an inconvenient location.

frontier770
10-19-2018, 05:51 PM
I have to agree - the ground based controls are perfect - fast, responsive and slick but in flight mode it's really confusing. I'm specifically avoiding flying as much as possible at the moment which is a shame as I was looking forward to space based dog fights I'm having real trouble trying to rewire my brain and would dearly love for the sticks to be swapped round for flight mode only.

Other than this issue I'm really enjoying the game.

DigitalSpectre
10-20-2018, 12:41 AM
The Space-flight controls are 100% of the problem. I love the game so far, its been great; its actually what I would've hoped that No Man's Sky would've been. I'm not sure that the dev who created the space flight controls actually spent enough time using them, because they're very clunky and make it difficult to react to certain situations.

Being able to do some of the more advanced flight techniques would be far easier if they werent bound to double-tapping a button but instead were moved to D-pad or even a combination with the analog stick.

As a side note, the reflect from doing a barrel roll is inconsistent and will quite often just result in you being hit regardless.

UbiGabrinth
10-20-2018, 02:39 AM
We appreciate the feedback! I'm going to move this over to the general forums for Starlink so that others might see it and be able to chime in as well. :)

bscarell
10-20-2018, 06:06 AM
Bought digital deluxe and loving it but would love it a lot more if I could remap controls!

neilvbell
10-20-2018, 08:12 AM
Yes, I add my vote that this is not just a request to make life easier but a fix to a broken control set. Having the boost and shield buttons where they are makes them almost unusable in combat, taking away most of the dodge and block aspects. Swap those to L & R (since neither of those functions would be hampered by moving) and suddenly the whole thing works. Not sure how this was missed in play-testing.
Second vote for being able to swap left and right thumb-stick functions since my son is left-handed. :)

mazzoutlaw
10-22-2018, 04:42 PM
Yes, I add my vote that this is not just a request to make life easier but a fix to a broken control set. Having the boost and shield buttons where they are makes them almost unusable in combat, taking away most of the dodge and block aspects. Swap those to L & R (since neither of those functions would be hampered by moving) and suddenly the whole thing works.

This. 100% this. You lose half of your flight controls having to hit face buttons for shields and boost. Being able to map controls would help this game greatly.

AlfyBear
10-23-2018, 02:10 AM
I'm really surprised this isn't making more noise. This awesome game is KILLED by not allowing alternate controller mappings. It's like throwing left handed...yes, I can kinda do it...but why?

I have it on switch and just putting the joycons in opposite hands felt right for the joysticks, but obviously this is impossible for the buttons.

BTW, controls on the ground are basically fine, so I would only swap on flight mode.

For the love of God, patch in swapped sticks for flight and some other button options!!!!!

frontier770
10-23-2018, 01:45 PM
I'm really surprised that no review I've seen has mentioned this - especially with the attention that the Switch version is getting since I'd assume that many of them will have played Star Fox 64 at the very least. I've sunk a fair number of hours into the game over the weekend and still can't get used to the flight controls. I'm hopping to the planets I've discovered via the map rather than risking having to deal with pirates because every time I do I end up totally out of control firing into the vast emptiness of space whilst my targets rain laser death down on me.

I have Manticore: Galaxy on Fire on switch which is another space shooter. That game though a lot more basic but it really nails the flight controls. It feels great zipping about, performing tight manoeuvres, darting past stations, ships and asteroids. If I can get an update to Starlink that swaps those analogue sticks I'll be very happy indeed

AlfyBear
10-23-2018, 05:01 PM
I've tried to make this work with the current layout for a few hours, and MAN do I wish i tried the game before I bought it. This game will either be totally solid after a patch to add alternate controls and swapped sticks, or a totally unplayable game for me and everyone I played it with.

Naca_Icon
10-25-2018, 11:47 PM
I'll add my two cents into this as well- some of the controls need work.

I, personally, would love if the X and A functions (shield and boost) were switched with the L and R functions (pilot ability and Fly). The number of times I've accidentally wasted my Pilot Ability during combat is annoyingly frequent, and I've had to mitigate it by always using my skill points so element combos give it back.

And, as others have talked about, the space thumbstick controls are out of wack. Losing up and down control in order to shield and boost is irritating, and though the above would solve that, I think we can all agree given players the choice of which control scheme we want is the better path. (Maybe not easier, for the developers, but better).

Ubi-Zoro
10-27-2018, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the continued feedback on this everyone! :)

XprestoneX
10-28-2018, 09:42 PM
I also will toss in my vote.

I really donít like the space controls ether and find it confusing, especially because I play No Mans Sky and still Play Microsoftís CFS1-3.

I would also really appreciate a button mapping option to be able to place the buttons where they are more convenient to press.

Holding A to boost and not being able to use my right stick to turn at the same time is frustrating.

H4rlequine
10-29-2018, 12:29 PM
Hi devs,
sorry for my bad english but i need to put my 2 cents in
i bought starlink yesterday and i admit this is an outstanding and solid game!
but it feel so strange u didn't put the right attention at the controls scheme..
obviously it's not unplayable but it feels "incomplete" and unsatisfactory flying and combat in space
It's like playing without knowing what are u doing and this is a big shame!

Please, let us know if you are willing to change and what you are willing to change.
Thanks in advance for your answer

Ubi-Lucipus
10-30-2018, 11:21 AM
What would you change around if you had the ability to remap the buttons and controls H4rlequine?

Hi devs,
sorry for my bad english but i need to put my 2 cents in
i bought starlink yesterday and i admit this is an outstanding and solid game!
but it feel so strange u didn't put the right attention at the controls scheme..
obviously it's not unplayable but it feels "incomplete" and unsatisfactory flying and combat in space
It's like playing without knowing what are u doing and this is a big shame!

Please, let us know if you are willing to change and what you are willing to change.
Thanks in advance for your answer

H4rlequine
10-30-2018, 12:31 PM
What would you change around if you had the ability to remap the buttons and controls H4rlequine?

Hi Lucipus, thanks for your answer!
many of the others pilots gives the right choice and i think (i play on ps4) FIRST OF ALL give us the chance, when flying in space, to invert analog stick functions and the choice to change boost and shield in order to put them on L1 and R1. In this way the game could be more solid BUT..in an "imaginary world" if i could, my settings could be:

Left stick: controls of the ship (pitch and roll)
Right stick: control of the visual
R2: accelerate
L2: decelerate
R1: Boost
L1: shield
Square: left weapon
Circle: right weapon
Triangle: iperspace
X: interact

alternative:

Left stick: controls of the ship (pitch and roll)
Right stick: accelerate/decelerate
R2: right weapon
L2: left weapon
R1: Boost
L1: shield
Square: interact
X or triangle or circle: Iperspace

GrnFzzTgr
10-31-2018, 06:58 AM
Honestly I would love the option to fully remap controls for both planet side and space. I tend to enjoy a game more when I'm able to fully customize a control scheme to my liking when possible. When I first started playing I tried to control the ship's up,down left and right movement using the left stick, and I tried to strafe and look around using the right stick, of course this didn't work..

Silvius_Fox
11-13-2018, 11:35 AM
So Iíve been trying to find out what each axis of the analog sticks actually control (I havenít purchased the game yet). I can find screenshots of the controller layout but they only show that the left stick is for movement and the right is for the camera. I would assume that left and right on the (L) stick correspond to their natural directions but is up going to cause your ship to climb up or dive down, and what about the (R) stick, will pressing right turn the camera to the right or will it pan left?

PS: I have already seen a post asking if the x-axis can be inverted, and the moderator reply that stated that the suggestion will be forwarded to the devs. Hopefully the devs will enable all axisís to be remapped, as well as allowing people to swap what each stick does. I understand that the primary demographic is children, and most games aimed at this group typically donít have many control options, but since the game also seems to be geared towards older gamers I highly recommend these changes to prevent any alienation of your secondary demographic.

Conzar
11-15-2018, 02:22 AM
I have a problem using boost as I am no longer able to control x/y. Is the same with the 'jump' button. I am fine with the FPS controls where left Thumb is acc/decc & strafe.

One way to solve this problem without remapping the buttons is to enable REAL motion control. Just look at how fortnite does it on the switch. If you can implement that, then I would be ok with how the buttons are now.

Frankie_Drums
11-29-2018, 03:52 PM
I was going to buy this game digitally with the Black Friday sale but I'm concerned about the controls so I didn't. I guess we'll see, based on Ubisoft's response, how much support they're putting behind this title.

Ubi-Lucipus
11-29-2018, 04:34 PM
Thank you for continuing to provide us with your thoughts regarding the controls :)

Conzar it's a very desired feature that we are aware of, I'll continue to pass the feedback on :)

Frankie_Drums
12-07-2018, 06:18 PM
Thank you for continuing to provide us with your thoughts regarding the controls :)

Conzar it's a very desired feature that we are aware of, I'll continue to pass the feedback on :)
Any word? I've been wanting to buy this game but Ubisoft can't get out of its own way.

Ubi-Lucipus
12-10-2018, 10:57 AM
Hello Frankie! Good to hear from you :)

Unfortunately I am unable to give you any updates but I can assure you the team are aware and looking into all the feedback that is provided!

Tellmeninetails
12-26-2018, 01:08 PM
Left stick aim up down left and right. left shoulder break, right shoulder accelerate. triggers weapons
pushing left stick in: Hyperspace and liftoff. and move the specal button to the spare button on the right side then it would of been good! it would of been playable!
I would be able to shoot, boost, shield and glide all at he same time.
You could leave rotating on the right stick

Right now on switch I find it literally impossible to fight effectively on planets.
They require you to use both sticks, left and right with the left stick and up and down with the right stick. then they don't put boost or accelerate on the shoulder buttons like you'd think would be normal
Basically if you want to go fast you better not be planning to turn up or down. if you're planning to shield don't expect to be able to aim while shooting.

Paradox52525
12-27-2018, 04:29 AM
Just chiming in to basically agree with everyone else. Great game, but the flight controls suck. If we can't get the ability to fully remap, then what we need is:

1. Shield and Boost/Dodge moved to L and R. We need to be able to use these while aiming - the current placement makes these basically useless in space.

2. An option to swap the two joysticks while in flight.

AlfyBear
12-28-2018, 03:04 AM
I've played a bit more, here's my two cents:

1. Ability to swap sticks in flight mode (independent of when on the ground)
2. Boost and Dodge on L, R

For me, these two make the game unplayable.

3. Sustained forward thrust in flight mode if you move forward with the (now) right stick for a second or so. I.e. you can eventually take your finger off the stick and keep moving in flight mode.
4. X inversion as an option.

These would be nice, but I wouldn't be that bothered if they don't make it.

You guys might be underestimating the amount of people that hate these controls and don't bother to complain on this forum or Reddit. Not one person that played this game on my switch doesn't think the controls suck. I'm crossing my fingers that this makes your next update.

Gigaman EXE
12-29-2018, 03:28 AM
Hi, great thread. Currently playing on Nintendo Switch. I would love to customize controls too. For example, I would prefere boosting with R instead of A because with A you cannot move up and down while boosting unless you move the right stick with your left thumb. I also (spoiler alert) would like to have inverted flight controls when inside the dreadnaught, where your ships moves forward and you just strafe, but just in that part since Im used to fly inverted if
I am using the left stick.

Ubi-Lucipus
12-31-2018, 01:26 PM
Thanks for adding to this everyone, we appreciate you letting us know your preferences and suggestions :D

CapwnD
01-02-2019, 06:26 AM
I was so excited to finally get a space shooter similar to Star Fox, and then to actually include Star Fox!!! But then to find that the controls can't be remapped, and the way they don't feel like all the other flight games out there... very disappointing.

Please fix this, Star Fox is one of the games that solidified my love of gaming, and this game gets so much right except for the most important aspect, space flight controls!

paulryp
01-03-2019, 10:20 PM
These controls make the game completely unplayable. You need to implement alt control scheme ASP. We've all paid money for this game and as it currently stands its broken. It's like trying to play with your hand behind your back. How was this not picked up in testing? It screamed broken in the first 30 seconds. This needs to take priority over anything else. dont wait to budle into a upcoming update get it out now, please.

Gahell123
01-06-2019, 12:38 PM
good evening, I bought starlink for switch and I wanted to know if it is possible to change the controls ... in flight games I usually use roll and pitch on the left stick, but here it seems not to be possible. this makes flight sections very frustrating

Gahell123
01-11-2019, 01:11 PM
good evening, I bought starlink for switch and I wanted to know if it is possible to change the controls ... in flight games I usually use roll and pitch on the left stick, but here it seems not to be possible. this makes flight sections very frustrating

Gentlemen, there are news for a possible patch that introduces the mapping of the controls? I'm playing something else while waiting for this patch

Ubi-Lucipus
01-14-2019, 05:09 PM
Gahell123, it's definitely something that we're forwarding to the team as we appreciate you want to customize your gameplay :)

Neilius007
01-15-2019, 11:13 PM
Gahell123, it's definitely something that we're forwarding to the team as we appreciate you want to customize your gameplay :)

Ubi-Lucipus can you please ask your team and confirm if they are in fact going to address the controls (and x inversion) in a future patch? Hearing about how you are forwarding our concerns to them is just getting frustrating at this point. No offence, but it seems like your team intends to do nothing about it, while you continue to attempt damage control...

Skope99
04-02-2019, 10:17 AM
I'm serious! I can't actually play this game. The analog sticks are the wrong way around in flight mode. I was really looking forward to playing this game but I just can't do it.

Please, give us the option to swap the function of the analog sticks. Otherwise I will consider this a huge waste of money.

z3thon
06-23-2019, 02:06 PM
Hey Ubisoft!

Please go talk to your dev(s) that make the control schemes in person sometime and have them just add this really fast. Having made games before, this is not a difficult thing to do and the fact that we're still waiting for it is a little ridiculous.

Everyone is begging for the same thing. Swap X&A with L&R. We only use L&R occasionally, but we constantly are using X&R. This means you CAN'T STEER while you're boosting/using your shield which effectively makes the game almost unplayable in real combat. If X&A were ability and flight mode you would literally just click it every once in a while to activate your ability or to enter flight mode. That makes it so that your index finger and middle finger can work all 4 of the L&R+ZL&ZR without losing the ability to aim.

Stop BSing around and just got talk to 1 or 2 devs that have some free time. This is not a big change and everyone has literally specified the same thing.

:)