PDA

View Full Version : Stupid General

SerraShaar
10-16-2018, 02:57 AM
So..SPOILER"..

I'm in Athen . There is this idiot Athenian General that want me to weaken the Sparta for him . Bring 3 seal from Sparta (Hoplyte or something) .

So I did...had to run all the way to Maigaris.....kill them...run to consquest..cose red rulez! keep Sparta in power and go back to him .

Then he say , I got more for you..and he ask me to do the same darn thing all over again !!

Does this idiot matter at all ? like..he will give me something better....at any point ?

Urghh....

Rithrius
10-16-2018, 05:10 AM
If i were to guess, this keeps going until you've literally rid every camp on the map of its ptolemarchs.

And there's a guy in Sparta asking you to kill Athenian ptolemarchs as well, so... yippee?

SerraShaar
10-16-2018, 05:59 AM
Aw geez..:(

I didn't do this quest on my 1st playtrough lol so I though I do all side quest in Athen before I advance the main story..

but sheesh....if thats all he does..I think I leave this damn quest when I unlock more area....

btw thanx!

cpldaniel
11-23-2018, 09:35 PM
That stupid general is Demosthenes. He is basically the Athenian Brasidas [<--Not saying Brasidas isn't Spartan, just that this is the Brasidas for the Athenian Side]

He's easily the best general Athens has of the first 15-years of the war, and he is the ONLY general who gets a clear story-arc from Thucydides in THE HISTORY. For the story-version of history, Brasidas kind of gets the elements of a story-arc, but those elements are not explored so much as just stated in Thucydides. Where as Demosthenes arrives in theater ["of operations"...not that other kind of theater] a newbie commander sent to the frontier far from Athens&home, promptly gets defeated by local tribesman in his very first battle-command, learns to adapt from them and then rise to greatness.

UbiSnout
11-24-2018, 03:02 AM
That stupid general is Demosthenes. He is basically the Athenian (...), learns to adapt from them and then rise to greatness.

Thanks for sharing the information! If anyone is curious about Demosthenes check his Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demosthenes). :)

flightyfairy
11-28-2018, 12:25 PM
This is a completely grindy quest,you will have to collect at least 15 of these,I’ve turned in 12 so far-but now the quest title says something about the last one-so here’s hoping. I suggest that every time you pass a fort you loot the polemarch,whether you’ve completed it before or not.They’re usually off by themselves so you can hit them fast and move on.

longjohn119
11-29-2018, 08:59 AM
So..SPOILER"..

I'm in Athen . There is this idiot Athenian General that want me to weaken the Sparta for him . Bring 3 seal from Sparta (Hoplyte or something) .

So I did...had to run all the way to Maigaris.....kill them...run to consquest..cose red rulez! keep Sparta in power and go back to him .

Then he say , I got more for you..and he ask me to do the same darn thing all over again !!

Does this idiot matter at all ? like..he will give me something better....at any point ?

Urghh....

Lysander in Sparta asks the same thing of you only he wants Athenian seals .... If you complete the mission he just gives you the exact same mission again

BTW his name is Demosthenes and he was the Athenian General that planned and executed the battle of Pylos where the Athenians took a bunch of Spartans prisoner and used them as hostages to stop the Spartan's yearly summer plunder of Attika ..... In response Brasidas (who wasn't actually at the Battle of Pylos) got together a relatively small group of Spartan hoplites backed by a larger group of Mercenaries from mainly from Arkadia and Korinthia and marched from Sparta all the way to Macendonia where he set up a base at Amphipolis .... The Battle of Amphipolis was almost 3 years after the Battle of Pylos and Kleon's attempted invasion was a huge failure and the Spartans only lost 7 men although one of them was Brasidas .... That was the beginning of the end for Athens

cpldaniel
11-30-2018, 02:43 AM
LThe Battle of Amphipolis was almost 3 years after the Battle of Pylos and Kleon's attempted invasion was a huge failure and the Spartans only lost 7 men although one of them was Brasidas .... That was the beginning of the end for Athens
I know you're not trying to be exact, so I'm adding:

1) That was the end of the beginning. Athens just won the Archidamian War!
There's still 2/3 of the Peloponnesian War to go!

2) Yes, but they killed Kleon...
a Brasidas for a Kleon = Win for Athens! (in anybody's book)
And without their commander, the pelop army went home anyway,
where Brasidas recieves a state funeral, giant statue in his honor, and raised to Leonidas levels of stature

cpldaniel
11-30-2018, 02:55 AM
This was all after the Peace Treaty was signed by Athens & Sparta. The story goes that Brasidas gave his word that if the Athenian controlled towns would support his army in the north, he promised he would protect them from Athenian reprisal...But then Sparta signed the peace treaty...But Brasidas had already given his word and promise to defend these people....So he was honor-bound to disobey orders and protect these people from Kleon's army expedition even though Sparta & Athens were now at peace.

or there's another version of that story told from a more Athenian P.o.V. but it's not epic or interesting that version

cpldaniel
12-02-2018, 02:35 AM
This is a completely grindy quest,you will have to collect at least 15 of these,I’ve turned in 12 so far-but now the quest title says something about the last one-so here’s hoping. I suggest that every time you pass a fort you loot the polemarch,whether you’ve completed it before or not.They’re usually off by themselves so you can hit them fast and move on.

This isn't a grind. This is designed to add greater reward for something you will already do in-game anyways. Inevitably you will kill Polemarchs. This just gives you more reward for engagement in that gameplay

But it is a bit of a wasted opportunity for using Demosthenes as a promising game-charachter, which Ubisoft could fix with a Demosthenes centered expansion pack game that's reworked to focus on the player working for Demosthenes during his breakout campaign prier to Pylos, in the North-Western theater around Naupactus and AmphilochiaArgos where he and his small force from Athenians must band together with ex-slaves and frontiersmen, in order to form a cohesive army capable of working together and fighting up against both natives (think Illyrian Tribes, and uncivilized Greeks), and the campaigning armies of Corinthians & Spartans

The potential for a great campaign expansion pack to add as paid DLC is there & ripe for the plucking, probably targeting a $3.99 - $9.99 pricepoint depending on campaign length & detail.

Demona72x
12-02-2018, 02:45 AM
So..SPOILER"..

Urghh....

You will actually get one from sparta AND athens to gather the seals... They do it several times before you finish with them

flightyfairy
12-02-2018, 11:38 AM
It was a grind for me just because I had already started clearing a lot of the map before picking these quests up,so I found myself having to go out of my way to collect the. I guess it just depends on playstyle.🤷🏼*♀️
This isn't a grind. This is designed to add greater reward for something you will already do in-game anyways. Inevitably you will kill Polemarchs. This just gives you more reward for engagement in that gameplay

But it is a bit of a wasted opportunity for using Demosthenes as a promising game-charachter, which Ubisoft could fix with a Demosthenes centered expansion pack game that's reworked to focus on the player working for Demosthenes during his breakout campaign prier to Pylos, in the North-Western theater around Naupactus and AmphilochiaArgos where he and his small force from Athenians must band together with ex-slaves and frontiersmen, in order to form a cohesive army capable of working together and fighting up against both natives (think Illyrian Tribes, and uncivilized Greeks), and the campaigning armies of Corinthians & Spartans

The potential for a great campaign expansion pack to add as paid DLC is there & ripe for the plucking, probably targeting a $3.99 - $9.99 pricepoint depending on campaign length & detail.

cpldaniel
12-02-2018, 11:54 PM
It was a grind for me just because I had already started clearing a lot of the map before picking these quests up,so I found myself having to go out of my way to collect the. I guess it just depends on playstyle.����*♀️
I am sorry to hear that :(
I have not tested every conceivable play-through mechanic, but it would be easy & reasonable logic-rule for a game designer to implement: "If Player kills Polemarch, then always keep count of those dead polemarch seals to apply later when the player accepts the gather seals mission."
Check your inventory items menu on the left for Spartan seals, maybe you will be lucky and received a well-developed, play-tested, game design that shows you already have collected 1 or 2 Polemarch seals gathered by the time you met Demosthenes.

But then again, some of the logic/mechanic design problems allowed into the published product are shockingly amateur level, and burned a lot of goodwill Ubisoft had built up with me. So, I wouldn't put it past them to needlessly create a grind experience for you out of gameplay activities that you have already learned & completed...But damn, I wanna give them the benefit of the doubt until you can confirm that nothing you did mattered by checking your inventory menu for collected seals. First rule of publishing: Don't needlessly create a system that makes you ask if the game was needlessly wasting your time

flightyfairy
12-05-2018, 11:57 AM
The seals didn’t collect until I picked up each mission,but it may have changed with the new updates. I definitely agree that it is meant to be an easy one to complete as you go. I was able to go back and just pick off the polemarch individually to wrap up the quests, but it would have been less effort if I had hopped on these earlier. You have a point about being able to collect the seals before you find the 2 mission givers,but after you get Stentor’s seal-we’re able to collect other quest items for later why not these?