PDA

View Full Version : Odyssey’s Leveling System.. What’s your thoughts?

Wildlander08
10-15-2018, 02:05 AM
A common criticism of Origins centred around its levelling system. It’s huge open world would be all but inaccessible due to high level enemies. Having to complete side quest after side quest was really one of the few effective ways to reach those levels. Likewise, you'd need to grind through optional missions in order to progress the story, again, so that you could hit the level requirements.

Odyssey seems to share a very similar feel, may even go as far to say it’s even more centered around grinding those sides quests. Since the initial release on October 5th, I’ve spent over 40 hours experiencing what Odyssey has to offer. The one thing that sticks out the most is having to grind away side quests for less then substantial XP.

Without mentioning quest names, I’ll say there came a point where I was forced to spend more then 10 hours level grinding between completing one main quest and starting the next. The reason being the requirements to effectively compete the next quest in the storyline. I finished a certain quest at level 27 and the next was a suggested level 31. In Odyssey, a difference of 3 levels can determine wether you able to succeed or struggle to even stay alive. This means grinding those levels is imperative.

I find this becoming extremely tedious, especially with how long it takes to level up. Receiving 10k XP from a legendary side quest may seem like a lot, but not when you need almost 60k XP just to achieve 1 level later in the game. You will quickly find yourself grinding away for hours on end just to reach that next main quest. I spent over 12 hours improving my character from level 27 to level 31. By this time I had long forgotten what happened in the previous quest leading up to the next one in the storyline. It shouldn’t be this exhausting just to level up and start the next Odyssey quest.

Did ubisoft go a bit extreme with the level requirements this time around? Let’s hear your thoughts.

ProdiGurl
10-15-2018, 02:13 AM
There's a few posts on this topic that you can look through, it's been gone over a few times in some depth =)