PDA

View Full Version : Game seems overly expensive in UK

kylestien
10-10-2018, 03:01 PM
So a bit of context: on the switch in the UK your average price for a new game would be somewhere between 45- 55 pounds. A special edition would probably be about 65.

So when I look on the switch store for uk, it is 69.99 for the standard edition, and 89.99 for the special edition.

This seems... kinda expensive for your average person. I don't know many people over here willing to pay that for a game like this, and I've heard that it seems to be a region based things and it's cheaper when converted into us stores, with other countries suffering.

Can we get either a justification for, or preferably fix to this to be adjusted properly in other regions please?

neilvbell
10-10-2018, 03:34 PM
None of the options are cheap and going physical gets even more expensive. It looks as though they are keeping digital price high to avoid everyone jumping ship and ignoring all physical. I pity the devs who created a great game, gave people the option of oys or no toys but then the marketing guys got their greedy mits on it and started putting prices through the roof. I have accepted that this is a game that i want to play and will have to pay through the nose for. Many others either can't or won;t pay that money and potentially great game might die because of it. :( Honestly I don;t have a good answer for them on how to deal with the problem but it would be to try to charge as little for the toys as they can manage and charge considerably less for those wishing to go digital. I figure that if digital prices were cheaper then people might decide to maybe get a few physical as well but if they already spent a fair bit on digital then they won;t want to also pay extra for physical.

goatbuster
10-11-2018, 02:37 AM
The US eshop is selling the game for $60 standard and $80 deluxe. So basically with conversion rates it's 33% cheaper in America. If it was for a physical product I could understand why it might be more expensive to produce or ship a product overseas but to charge so much more (30 pounds more expensive in the uk for the deluxe version) for a digital download us pretty disappointing. I have cancelled my UK preorder and created a US account so I can get it cheaper.

RoflApfl
10-11-2018, 07:49 AM
Check these:
https://reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/9my7mf/psa_if_you_were_thinking_of_buying_digitally/

https://reddit.com/r/StarlinkGame/comments/9mzi0f/i_hope_ubisoft_can_justify_the_regional_price/

MrBungle06
10-17-2018, 04:41 AM
Yep it's a joke. There is no justification for such a huge mark up on the U.K version other than greed.

MagicElmo
10-21-2018, 09:10 PM
As much as I wanted to buy this for it#s release, I will wait for a sale now, sorry UBI.
Game looks deadly and I do appreciate the non toy option, it's just too expensive right now for me to buy it, especially considering that more stuff is highly likely to follow.

Please reconsider things like this for the future, it's not great on the reputation and I have seen gaming magazines already critisizing the current price policy.
Shame for a good game to suffer for it.

Sgt.Blaze
10-23-2018, 11:50 PM
It feels like they forgot that they also take money for ships, pilots and weapons.

In my opinion they game itself should be cheap.. as in very cheap, since you are kinda “forced” to buy more stuff to get a different experience.
Nope no grind or ingame currency can get you new stuff.
It is pay now.
I understand the deluxe pice as it opens up for all but two ships and one gun.
But the standart digital edition is way too expenssive imo.

Fun thing is it cost more than other new triple A games:)

I mean 30$ would imo be more reasonable, and lets be honest they prob would earn it in through microtransaction.

MagicElmo
10-24-2018, 06:29 PM
I think the reason for the expensive digital edition is that even the normal one gives you like 80 to 90 % of all available content.
There is no starter edition digital option with maybe one or two ships only.

I know we in Europe always pay a bit more due to VAT, but usually it's 1$ is 1€.

For 60€ (or 80€ for the digital deluxe), me as the unrational Starfox fan probably would have bought it.
But current prices are just not reasonable sadly.