PDA

View Full Version : Noo-B Question for the experts- can't install game!!

mindsound29
01-08-2007, 10:45 PM
I just picked up pacific fighters and ran into the first problem. When i put the Disc 1 into the drive, autoplay doesnt start. so i go to my comp. and there is nothing showing in the CD drive. so i eject and reinsert the disc then it reads as an application icon. so i double click and my drive makes this whirling sounds, stops, whirls, stops, whirls, stops...etc. then the whole comp. freezes up and crashes. can anyone determine what is going on with my lappy and provide any possible solutions. i really want to get this game started and play online, but cant get it to work. side note: i inserted the game into 3 diff. comps and autoplay started right away. but i cant play on those other comps cuz they lack the system req.

I am using the HP Pavillion zd7000 laptop with 1.25gb of RAM, plenty of HD space and overall no general problems. The video card is an NVidia FX. also, the drive works with other apps and music discs.

icrash
01-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Try putting in the disc, then go to my computer -> right click on the disc drive-> click explore -> double click on the .exe file
Your laptop should try to run the install.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/icrash/icrash4it.jpg

mindsound29
01-08-2007, 11:50 PM
nope, that didnt work either. but i did get a little farther this time. i put in CD 1 and the autoplay started and broght me to the first window. i clicked in Install PF Stand-Alone and it started to do the scratching, whirling, scratching, whirling, stop, whirl, stop, whirl...like its trying to read the CD. then everything came a a halt.

is it possible that the DVD drive cant read this particular disc or maybe its broken? but if its broken, why then can it read other discs??

icrash
01-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Some of the anti-piracy stuff can cause problems with some drives & virtual drives. If the drive doesn't have a problem with other discs, the drive is ok. Are the other computers you run the install on laptops? Some of the games/sims out dislike mobile video cards so it may be something with the laptop. I have heard of people running PF on laptops though. Try posting the dxdiag (start->run->type "dxdiag"-hit enter, then save the report in "my documents") and the problem over in community help forum. Steve V, HH Quazi, and the other guys can probably help.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/icrash/icrash4it.jpg

WB_Outlaw
01-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Some drives just don't like some discs and my two notebook drives are especially picky. Try cleaning the disc and see if that helps. You can also copy the entire disc to the hard drive (or use another computer and get it over the network) and try to run the install from there. Out of the box PF requires one of the discs to be in the drive but I think that somehwere on the UBI support site you can download a new rts.dll file that doesn't require the CD.

mindsound29
01-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by icrash:
Some of the anti-piracy stuff can cause problems with some drives & virtual drives. If the drive doesn't have a problem with other discs, the drive is ok. Are the other computers you run the install on laptops? Some of the games/sims out dislike mobile video cards so it may be something with the laptop. I have heard of people running PF on laptops though. Try posting the dxdiag (start->run->type "dxdiag"-hit enter, then save the report in "my documents") and the problem over in community help forum. Steve V, HH Quazi, and the other guys can probably help.

ive tried it on one other laptop and one desktop and they both start up fine.
Can this be performed: I have an external HD that i can connect over to another comp. can i install all the files into that HD and later transfer it onto my desktop without facing many problems??

WB_Outlaw
01-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by mindsound29:
ive tried it on one other laptop and one desktop and they both start up fine.
Can this be performed: I have an external HD that i can connect over to another comp. can i install all the files into that HD and later transfer it onto my desktop without facing many problems??

Yes, you can just copy the entire PF directory from one computer to another and it will work fine.

If you plan to get 1946 then this may not work b/c it uses Securom as piracy protection and it probably has to go through the install routine to install that part.

--Outlaw.

mindsound29
01-09-2007, 05:28 PM
no, i dont plan on getting 1946 yet..until the price drops or when i get some hours in with PF.

my main concern was how many time can you install the program. usually, some companies only allow the program to be installed once before it locks out. but if you say the files can be transfered from one comp to another, then ill put it onto my external HD and transfer the files onto my laptop.

Thanks everyone for your help.