PDA

View Full Version : Game-breaking stuttering after 20-30 minutes of play

DoctorMcBatman
10-05-2018, 03:13 AM
I have the Gold edition so I started playing on Tuesday. No problems Tuesday, but yesterday after playing a bit I started getting a very nasty stuttering. I closed the game and reopened it, and it went away. Today, it started after about 30 minutes of play, so I quit the game and reopened it. The stuttering came back again after about 30 minutes, and this cycle has been going on all day.

i7 3820
GTX 1080
SSD
16GB RAM

Been running on all Ultra except Volumetric Clouds on High and AO on High. Getting a steady 50-70 fps, even during the stuttering. Temps are staying within reasonable levels too.

Here's a video I took of the stuttering - the capture wasn't great quality and YT certainly didn't help, but hopefully you can see what I'm referring to. Technically this isn't game breaking since I can restart the game every 30 minutes... but that's no way to play an immersive, long RPG.

(Note: you can see relevant system readouts on the top left, and don't mind the 0 VRAM display bug)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLWC4IMNSfM

EDIT: Right, forgot to mention I've already taken many troubleshooting steps. I downloaded the newest NVIDIA driver, went into Properties on the executable to disable fullscreen optimizations, and managed my 3D settings in NVIDIA Control Panel to set max pre-rendered frames to 1. And I followed a guide on dealing with Windows' standby memory issue. None of that fixed the Isu (good pun? LOL)

Lysette88
10-05-2018, 03:34 AM
Is memory usage high when this happens?- I am thinking of game cache with it, which might be assigned to be huge and serves as interim storage for least recently used graphical items. Those will often not be indexed but looked up sequentially, because they normally aren't that big. Over time those fill up, but without an index lookup times increase with the amount of memory used. And this might be after 30 minutes the case. This is just a guess though, which could explain this behavior.

Edit: what you could try, if this is the case, is limit frames per second to steady 45 or 60 - and see if that helps. It would give your CPU a bit more time for the lookup - if there is a cache like this at all, that is. But if that helps, it is likely to be the issue.

ProdiGurl
10-05-2018, 04:05 AM
lol yes a good pun =) I hope this is solved soon for you!

UbiGabrinth
10-06-2018, 12:55 AM
How full is your C: drive? Where do you have Uplay and Assassin's Cred Odyssey installed?

DoctorMcBatman
10-06-2018, 10:10 PM
How full is your C: drive? Where do you have Uplay and Assassin's Cred Odyssey installed?

C is quite full, 6GB space left out of 120GB (or however much Samsung actually lets you use)

But the game is installed on drive Z (both are solid state), with 30GB free of 250GB.

DoctorMcBatman
10-06-2018, 11:05 PM
Is memory usage high when this happens?- I am thinking of game cache with it, which might be assigned to be huge and serves as interim storage for least recently used graphical items. Those will often not be indexed but looked up sequentially, because they normally aren't that big. Over time those fill up, but without an index lookup times increase with the amount of memory used. And this might be after 30 minutes the case. This is just a guess though, which could explain this behavior.

Edit: what you could try, if this is the case, is limit frames per second to steady 45 or 60 - and see if that helps. It would give your CPU a bit more time for the lookup - if there is a cache like this at all, that is. But if that helps, it is likely to be the issue.

Thanks for the suggestion, tried it, but it did not solve the issue.

DoctorMcBatman
10-08-2018, 04:31 PM
I've discovered a good enough fix. If I change the display from fullscreen to borderless (or vice versa) the change seems to remedy the stuttering. Not a 100% fix, but this is good enough. A LOT better than closing the entire game.