PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else read the novel "Day" by AL Kennedy?

Multimetal
08-25-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm almost through this one, it's about a former tail gunner in a Lancaster who ended up as a POW in Germany after being shot down bombing Hamburg. It's a little dense at first but I've really come to like it as I've read through it. Some parts are absolutely heartbreaking. The portrayals of losing crewmembers and the tensions of being a Bomber Command flier are really well done, as well as the psychological damage from living in a POW camp and other experiences. The only copy I've seen in the US I got from my library, but I'd highly recommend it if you see a copy. Anybody else read this or have any comments?

Multimetal
08-25-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm almost through this one, it's about a former tail gunner in a Lancaster who ended up as a POW in Germany after being shot down bombing Hamburg. It's a little dense at first but I've really come to like it as I've read through it. Some parts are absolutely heartbreaking. The portrayals of losing crewmembers and the tensions of being a Bomber Command flier are really well done, as well as the psychological damage from living in a POW camp and other experiences. The only copy I've seen in the US I got from my library, but I'd highly recommend it if you see a copy. Anybody else read this or have any comments?