PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed Odyssey: Impressions while playing the game

Kiroku
10-02-2018, 08:19 PM
Hey everyone!

I want to share all my impressions while playing the game which will include spoilers!

Lets start with day 1:

So I started the game and already liked the opening of the game. It starts with the fight of the 300 with King Leonidas. It was a good introduction to the combat system combined with an epic scenery of a battle.

It follows with a modern day scene of Layla finding the spear of leonidas which is also an isu artifact. After analysing and talking with her friend she enters the animus and because of multiple dna traces we can decide which character we want to play. I went for Alexios and went for the normal gaming experience since I do a lets play of the game it makes more sense than walking for hours searching quest npcs etc.

The game then keeps going with Ikaros introducing the beautiful open world on the first island while flying over it to our protagonist alexios which ends up in a fight again where we can use the new combat skills we learned on the battlefield with king leonidas. Some talking and first decision makings followed by searching the first story npc markos.

Before searching for him I investigated the house on the beginning and got rewarded by some interactions in and outside the house with alexios commenting on that. After that I went to search for markos.

So far I really like the introduction to the game. Its long and makes me feel its way better planned that the opening in origins. A nice introduction to the combat system and the first key npcs which I guess will become essential later in the game.

Story telling is really good so far and I also like the interactions at the starting place.

Oh and I guess I dont have to mention the graphics. Its fine. Cant say more about the combat at the moment since I need to know more about it. Same with controls.

cawatrooper9
10-02-2018, 09:05 PM
Its long and makes me feel its way better planned that the opening in origins.

Slight spoilers for the Kephalonia scenes

Absolutely agreed.

I think they managed the opening/flashbacks far more effectively in this game. It still slowly reveals the backstory in a slightly non=linear fashion, but at least it's not confusing or jarring.

Olympus2018
10-03-2018, 06:41 AM
Did anyone visit Mt. Olympus?

Kiroku
10-03-2018, 11:21 AM
Slight spoilers for the Kephalonia scenes

Absolutely agreed.

I think they managed the opening/flashbacks far more effectively in this game. It still slowly reveals the backstory in a slightly non=linear fashion, but at least it's not confusing or jarring.

Absolutely! The story telling is far more in depth compared to Origins and I really love the feature you mentioned in your spoiler :)

Did anyone visit Mt. Olympus?

Not yet but I heard about an easteregg on the eventually highest mountain you can climb? Didnt try it yet.

Lysette88
10-04-2018, 03:50 AM
Yes, I was pretty impressed how they introduced the background story of the protagonist - not all at once, but in small portions - and the emotional bits after we had a chance to establish an emotional connection to the character, which is nice as well - with Bayek that came far too early, whilst he was still a stranger to us. Without an emotional connection to the character this means nothing really.

Kiroku
10-04-2018, 11:31 AM
Yes, I was pretty impressed how they introduced the background story of the protagonist - not all at once, but in small portions - and the emotional bits after we had a chance to establish an emotional connection to the character, which is nice as well - with Bayek that came far too early, whilst he was still a stranger to us. Without an emotional connection to the character this means nothing really.

Exactly. Thats why it worked fine for AC2. Ezio also had a somewhat longer introduction but even in AC2 it was a bit early in the game with his dilemma that ends up in revenge.

This time however it feels like story telling is on a higher rank than ever before. Which is good ofc!

jellejackhammer
10-04-2018, 11:42 AM
it's nice that they have a better story again,because those where lacking in origins and post black flag games.

also heard that the MD while not having more playtime then in origins,has a better story aswell.

wonder what the mount olympus easter egg could be,maybe it's god of war related?

Kiroku
10-04-2018, 04:01 PM
This is what I know:

There is a sword on top of the highest mountain in a rock but you cant do anything with it yet.

And now for my day 2:

I did most of the side missions and story related quests on the first island and it was really relaxing and I had a lot of fun.
I noticed that animal camps came back and I really hope they didnt add tons of them again since it got relatively fast repetitive in Origins.

I also had some problems with sneaky and stealthy playstyle since I killed a bandit and got caught by another one when he actually looks in another direction. Aditionally at night its sometimes hard to see in which direction an enemy looks. I ended up getting caught by one when sneaking to him. I thought he would look down to the forest but actually just looked at me lol.

Another problem I have is the tons of ores that are in those caves which actually makes sense I know but its really annoying to climb the wall like 10 times in one cave to collect all of it for crafting later in the game.

Its sad that the stealth skill tree doesnt offer some active skills that are also combo attacks but thats somewhat okayish right now. I just fear that on highest difficulty I wont be able to play stealthy anymore since I wont one hit enemies when they have more hp. But we will see.

The voice acting and lip sync are still terrible in some situations. They are really weird like when Alexios as a child talking with his parents, running away into the forest or when he comes into a storm on the small boat. The quest with the ill people is also weird when we save them they are happy and start jumping and screaming when they actually shouldnt be able too?

BUT its not all bad right! I like the new equipment system with more diverse customization options and stats.
I also love the interactions with Ikaros when staying still for some time.

And overall the interaction with the world feels more alive and we have a lot more dialogues and options we can choose which is also nice!

I will keep you up to date for more :)

Lysette88
10-05-2018, 04:26 PM
Be careful with the bow when you try to be sneaky - someone might shout "incoming arrows" and the whole camp will be alarmed, even if there was no chance at all to observe the kill.

jandraelune
10-06-2018, 07:11 AM
Yes being full stealth in this one is sadly punished. Range at least fairs a bit better but still falls short in fewer areas.

RA503
10-07-2018, 12:52 AM
Man,I loving the game's plot but I hate the level grind,the endgame is level 50, this is atrocious .

Kiroku
10-08-2018, 11:44 AM
Yeah so on my third play session I noticed some stuff I want to talk about too:

Enemies spotting me while crouching somewhere is ridiculously easy for them. I just pass an open door inside when outside an enemy at around 10 meter range almost detects me. Like wtf? That totally destroys the stealth play for me once I got caught by such stupid things.But at least I managed to one hit enemies on the second hardest difficulty with the spear.

Same with assassinations. An enemy is looking somewhere else but suddenly detects me. It is also difficult to see wether an enemy stays with his face to your direction or against in some cases. Maybe cuz of the lighting idk.

But the graphics ofc. are insanely awesome. I also love the night life with the lights in the cities.

The MUSIC is absolutely amazing! I never enjoyed such a good music in an AC game since AC Brotherhood. It perfectly fits in every situation!

Conversations and story are sometimes a bit weird. I had this one quest where I had to safe the brother of a carpenter. I killed the pirates and got him but suddenly he said he wont make it and dies. The development until this point is weird. He sounds healthy and gave me the feeling "easy I got you" when suddenly.. oh.. he dead,, lol.

And somehow I cant recruit mercenaries that can be found in the mercenary system. Is that a bug or on purpose? I just fought him till like 2% HP but nothing happend so I killed him :S