PDA

View Full Version : How is the story, plot and narrative of this game?

crusader_prophet
10-02-2018, 04:25 PM
I could care less about how much RPG is being added and if there is any formal mention of assassin and templars or if there is a hidden blade etc. etc. I like RPG and as a matter of fact, it has always been present in AC games at a lesser scale - the whole Altair being stripped of his rank and having to make his way up is RPG in spirit, so is Ezio's evolution. Adding gameplay mechanics only increases the depth of that experience. So I welcome the change in gameplay.

All of these complaints will faint to oblivion IF the game delivers on the issue at hand i.e. a story that pushes players off the edge that we experienced in AC1 through AC Revelations. A labyrinth of a plot that is begging to be unraveled via well-balanced pacing of the narrative. A storytelling experience shrouded in mystery and conspiracy that spans across centuries and builds high stakes towards the end of the game in a narrative standpoint (e.g. unraveling the true purpose of reapers in Mass Effect 1, Abstergo's true motive in AC1 and AC2, the truth video). A game that makes you fall in love with the characters whom you want to see return especially because you want to know what happened to them and how they fit in when you face the bigger threat that is built in this game (e.g. Characters fates in Mass Effect 3, Ezio and Altair's scene connecting with Desmond in AC Revelations, the Lutece siblings in BioShock series ).

I want to buy this game to form my own opinion, but given the trend, I want to know first. I have always pre-ordered AC games since I came to the knowledge of the existence of the franchise. This time I did not, because of the past few games (not because what I saw in the promotion of Odyssey). So please shed some light and have a discussion around how this game is a testament of a gripping tale in the franchise. Because that is where Assassin's Creed should be, a series known best for its storytelling and regarded as a pioneer across the industry.

cawatrooper9
10-02-2018, 04:33 PM
Given the nature of the question, I'm going to move this to the spoiler forums.

I haven't played yet, but I know a good deal of spoilers. From what I've heard, I'm super pumped. It sounds like some really interesting things happen with the story.

I won't spoil anything directly, but the below may be a little bit more spoilery, so read at your own risk.

The historical sections look pretty cool, but some of the First Civ/MD stuff is absolutely bonkers. Like, if you've been missing that level of relevant MD, this will be a welcome return to form for you.

From what I've heard, MD isn't huge in this game, but it seems like what little there is will have a big impact.

I've also seen people seperate the game into four distinct simultaneous storylines.

I won't spoil them here, but I think it's interesting how what initially might seem like the "main" storyline is far from all there is.

crusader_prophet
10-02-2018, 04:41 PM
Thanks Cawa. Yeah, I just want to get back into that roller coaster of revelations of different plot elements and "WTH" or "what just happened" moments.

Multiple endings has always been my favorite of other games, so as long as that mechanic is tied into the narrative strongly I will enjoy it. I do not mind how long or short the game is as long as it is a worthwhile narrative experience.

Infinite_Gnosis
10-04-2018, 12:05 PM
I totally feel what you are saying crusader_prophet. I was a fan of assassin's creed since day one, mainly because of the mysterious and creative storyline, with amazing mindf*ck and cliffhanger endings, combined with the deep soundtracks from Jesper Kyd. It almost brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. I will always love and remember the AC franchise for that.

I didn't buy Odyssey though, because something felt off, just like with other AC games in the past, so i watched walkthroughs instead, watched all the cutscenes and endings, and i must say that the storyline of this AC really feels like a caricature of its former self. It all feels so forced and passionless.. and i think it's probably because of all the different rpg choices and endings (it must have been a drag for the voice actors to record all those different and confusing lines. It's difficult to connect with the character when they behave so borderline different all the time), and all the different teams working on ac nowdays. It doesn't feel like a coherent whole anymore, sadly enough. It really feels like the soul is gone.

That's why i'm going to replay the first three AC games again. The atmosphere in those 3 games (ac1, ac2 and acb) are unheard of in videogaming in my opinion.

jellejackhammer
10-04-2018, 06:19 PM
hmm strange.

i just asked a reviewer about the MD's story and he said that it is even less then it was in origins.

note that guy is not realy intrested in the MD stuff but still.

cawatrooper9
10-04-2018, 06:34 PM
hmm strange.

i just asked a reviewer about the MD's story and he said that it is even less then it was in origins.

note that guy is not realy intrested in the MD stuff but still.

How far were they into the game?

Without getting too deep into it, it's possible that they hadn't gotten to the end of the game, where the MD really picks up.

Again, there's not a lot of it, but it's definitely more impactful than Origins.

jellejackhammer
10-04-2018, 06:37 PM
ah i figured it would all happen in the end. (not bad though,it's a nice start)

i think he beat the game but again since he's not a fan of the MD stuff,i don't think he realy knows what would progress the MD story anyway so eveything MD related might seem bland to him.

crusader_prophet
10-05-2018, 03:16 PM
ah i figured it would all happen in the end. (not bad though,it's a nice start)

i think he beat the game but again since he's not a fan of the MD stuff,i don't think he realy knows what would progress the MD story anyway so eveything MD related might seem bland to him.

Do you know if it is because there are choices in MD section as well? Or is it because it's missable content? Also, does the game establish/evolve the lore on how choice making is possible while using the Animus besides the character pick aspect due to imprecise DNA sample? Does the game evolve into establishing that the Animus is capable of altering history and creating alternate timelines which would be a huge stake thematically in the modern day if Abstergo gets a hold of that tech? Does the game establish how multiple ending now affects the later games' timelines and events?

Olympus2018
10-05-2018, 05:41 PM
Let me guess.... There is no Olympus for some mysterious reason?