PDA

View Full Version : Crash when starting new game - PC restarts

MrFob
10-02-2018, 06:47 AM
Hi there,

Unfortunately, the game crashes whenever I try to start a new game (while I see the loading/saving symbol in the bottom left corner of an otherwise black screen). It will also crash randomly during load times (e.g. when trying the benchmark) or even already during the logo movies.When it crashes, the PC just restarts windows from scrach (not just a CTD).

Here are a few things I've tried without success:
- Tried verifying the game, no problems found.
- tried everything on this page: https://support.ubi.com/en-US/faqs/000025513/General-PC-Troubleshooting
- Tried setting all graphics details to low and turn AA off
- Tried to run the game in windowed mode

I can run the benchmark (sometimes, if the game doesn't crash before it starts). Everything seems to be fine there. Here is a screen of the results page:
https://i.imgur.com/nyBKZM6.jpg

So yea, I don't get what's going on. I ran AC: Origins on this computer for over 120 hours without a hitch.

Did anyone encounter anything like this?

MrFob
10-02-2018, 02:13 PM
So no one else has this issue where the PC just restarts? Would be great to get some advice on this, since I don't even get an error message.

By the way, I also submitted a support ticket with my DXDIAG and MSINFO included, the ticket number is 07079578.

I also ran DISM and did a windows system file checker scan as described here (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker), all is good there.

Also disabled all startup apps in the win10 settings -> Apps -> Startup panel.

Now I am fresh out of ideas again. I doubt it's an issue with my hardware since this restart problem only happens in this game and is reproducible whenever I try to start a new game.

MrFob
10-02-2018, 05:47 PM
So yea, I also tried to re-download the entire game and install it on a different hard drive this time (SSD), no luck.

Also tried to disable my virus protection software, no change.

UbiGabrinth
10-02-2018, 06:46 PM
This sounds like an issue with saving the game and loading from saves. On what drive or drives do you have Uplay and Assassin's Creed Odyssey installed?

MrFob
10-02-2018, 08:00 PM
This sounds like an issue with saving the game and loading from saves. On what drive or drives do you have Uplay and Assassin's Creed Odyssey installed?

Hey, thanks for the reply!

My system drive for win10 is C: (a 128GB SSD). Basically, there is nothing but Windows itself as well as system programs (like NVidia Experience and the like) on the C drive.
I have two additional hard drives, D and E on this machine (both 512 GB SSDs, where I install all my programs and games)..
UPlay is installed on drive E. I had AC: Odyssey installed on this drive E as well (in E:\UbiGames\Assassins Creed Odyssey\*.*).
When the game crashed, I tried to re-install it on drive D instead but that didn't change anything.

On all three drives (C, D and E) there is more then 50 GB of available space left.

Do you think I should try to install everything on the C drive?

I didn't think the drives would matter. I ran AC: Origin (and a lot of other UPlay games and other games in general) in the same manner and never had problems.

Oh by the way, I also tried disabling both, the UPlay overlay and cloud saves in the UPlay setting but that didn't help either.

MrFob
10-02-2018, 10:35 PM

Ok, so I reinstalled both Uplay and the game to the C Drive and I installed the game into the default directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Assassin's Creed Odyssey\

Still the same issue.

I then started UPlay in offline mode. The game now loads a little bit further (I think I hear thebeginning of the first chord of the intro music, than again, it crashes and the PC goes for a hard reset.

I don't think it's the save files. If it were, I think one of the above steps should have worked in fixing the issue.

UbiGabrinth
10-03-2018, 06:13 PM
I agree. If you put the game and Uplay on C: and the issue persists than it is likely not a save issue. Are you in fullscreen? Could you try changing the game to borderless windowed mode?

MrFob
10-04-2018, 04:43 PM
I agree. If you put the game and Uplay on C: and the issue persists than it is likely not a save issue. Are you in fullscreen? Could you try changing the game to borderless windowed mode?

Hey all,

So I figured it out and I am writing the solution to my particular problem here, just in case anyone else finds this thread while googling a similar issue or something.
First of all, it wasn't a save issue, installing the launcher and the game on C didn't make a difference. I had also tried all display modes (Fullscreen, borderless, windowed) before without success.

Turns out, the problem was my display setup. I am running the game on a Gigabyte GA Z97X UD5H mainboard with a GTX970 and my rig runs two monitors, one ASUS VE278H on a HDMI connection and one Ilyama on a DVI connection. It's a bit non-standard because the Asus is my primary display but it's located to the right of the Ilyama, so I changed the display setup in the windows and NVidia settings, so that everything worked properly. I run my games (Including AC:OD on the Asus. So far so good.

Now, in the chat with an Ubisoft support guy, they suggested the problem might be the onboard network controller from Gigabyte and that I should disable that one. I did and it didn't help but I figured, I might as well do a BIOS update while I am at it. After the BIOS update, Windows wouldn't boot any more (but the BIOS itself still worked and I got no errors, it just froze on the windows splash screen). It took me about 2 days to figure out that the problem was my gtx970 running dual displays for whatever reason (but apparently I am not the only one who encountered that problem with that mainboard (http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2760315/z97x-bios-rollback-advice.html#r16446783)).THe difference was that I couldn't even boot up a flash drive with the win10 installer anymore.
When switching the POST display to the onboard graphics chip in BIOS, the system booted again. I started AC: Odyssey, not expecting too much honestly but to my surprise, the game runs now.

So TL: DR: This may be an extremely weird problem with my setup but if the game crashes like mine did and you have dual monitor setup, try switching to one single display and see if that works.
I just find it weird that this was never a problem with Origin (same engine and everything) and that the benchmark worked (which would also go into the game basically).
Anyway, so much for my troubles. The game still seems to crash randomly fairly often but at least it's not a reproducable problem anymore that completely bars me from playing.

Thanks again to all you guys from tech support, who tried to help me out on this. I appreciate it. Maybe it would be worth looking into potential bugs with multi-display rigs for a future patch.

Cheers!