PDA

View Full Version : A question for all owners, past and present, of the Radeon 9600XT follows:

The-Good-Guy
10-08-2004, 04:30 AM
Oh boy, I wish it was cut and dry as to which of the new graphics cards was 'the best'.

But with a bunch of people cheering on ATi's X800 and another bunch hooraring nVidia's 6800, I'm thinking now of waiting until BoB until I get a 'tip top' card ('ol chaps).

Which means I need a 'stop-gap' card, something with 'good' but not 'mind-blowing' graphics to see me through.

Which leads me to my request:

Could Radeon 9800 XT users (preferably 256MB) tell me about their 'Graphics Happiness Level'.

Please include settings, e.g. 'Medium' etc and the frames per second at those settings.

Or just a general comment would be appreciated.

Oh, and screenshots would be nice!

And send me a beer if you have the time. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

I really appreciate the advice and comments which several members have made already.

And thanks for your replys here, too.

The-Good-Guy

BTW, a post I just read mentions that Pacific Fighters will be a little more favorable to older cards than FB is.

The-Good-Guy
10-08-2004, 04:30 AM
Oh boy, I wish it was cut and dry as to which of the new graphics cards was 'the best'.

But with a bunch of people cheering on ATi's X800 and another bunch hooraring nVidia's 6800, I'm thinking now of waiting until BoB until I get a 'tip top' card ('ol chaps).

Which means I need a 'stop-gap' card, something with 'good' but not 'mind-blowing' graphics to see me through.

Which leads me to my request:

Could Radeon 9800 XT users (preferably 256MB) tell me about their 'Graphics Happiness Level'.

Please include settings, e.g. 'Medium' etc and the frames per second at those settings.

Or just a general comment would be appreciated.

Oh, and screenshots would be nice!

And send me a beer if you have the time. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

I really appreciate the advice and comments which several members have made already.

And thanks for your replys here, too.

The-Good-Guy

BTW, a post I just read mentions that Pacific Fighters will be a little more favorable to older cards than FB is.

The-Good-Guy
10-08-2004, 04:32 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by The-Good-Guy:

Ahhh, that a mistake! As in the subject line, that should read 9600 XT!

Oops

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
10-08-2004, 04:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The-Good-Guy:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by The-Good-Guy:

Ahhh, that a mistake! As in the subject line, that should read 9600 XT!

Oops <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is an idea Mr GOOD :

Why not just bite the bloody bullit and buy one!

One thing is for sure what ever you purchase will be out of date six months down the line and no doubt some monkey will show up banging on about how he managed to get an extra squillion bloody FPS than every one else.

Console your self with the fact that whatever card you purchase now if its top end then it will be more than adequate to run IL2 / FB / AEP / BOB and any of the other games currently on the market or that will be produced over the next couple of years.

Happiness is a personal thing so the only thing you are gona get is a bunch of conflicting personal opinions.

This is just meant as a friendly rant from some one who has seen just one too many questions about what bloody card you should buy.

If your that worried about the money you probably shouldn't be spending it.

Ok thats all I am going now http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Jasko76
10-08-2004, 05:01 AM
As a previous 9600Pro (insanely overclocked)owner, I might be able to shed some light.

None of the 9600 cards is good enough to run perfect mode perfectly, period. Excellent runs great, but perfect comes with studders and is not very enjoyable. All along I wanted the 9800Pro card, but these were just too expensive untill about 6 months back, which is when I got mine. All the rendering issues with 9600Pro in games like Far Cry were gone and now I run this game at max settings. Doom 3 runs pretty sweet, even with AA and AF enabled.

9800Pro is now only marginally more expensive than 9600XT, but is a MUCH better card. Only 4 pixel lines and 128 bit memory really hurt 9600's performance. The 9800XT's marginal speed advantage over 9800Pro doesn't warrant a nearly double the price.

Go for 9800Pro if you don't want to purchase a X800/6800 card right now.

Hope this helps!

The-Good-Guy
10-08-2004, 05:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tHeBaLrOgRoCkS:

This is just meant as a friendly rant from some one who has seen just one too many questions about what bloody card you should buy.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm hear'n ya brother.

The-Good-Guy
10-08-2004, 05:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jasko76:
As a previous 9600Pro (insanely overclocked)owner, I might be able to shed some light.

None of the 9600 cards is good enough to run perfect mode perfectly, period. Excellent runs great, but perfect comes with studders and is not very enjoyable. All along I wanted the 9800Pro card, but these were just too expensive untill about 6 months back, which is when I got mine. All the rendering issues with 9600Pro in games like Far Cry were gone and now I run this game at max settings. Doom 3 runs pretty sweet, even with AA and AF enabled.

9800Pro is now only marginally more expensive than 9600XT, but is a MUCH better card. Only 4 pixel lines and 128 bit memory really hurt 9600's performance. The 9800XT's marginal speed advantage over 9800Pro doesn't warrant a nearly double the price.

Go for 9800Pro if you don't want to purchase a X800/6800 card right now.

Hope this helps! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Jasko. I appreciate the advice.

sunflower1
10-08-2004, 05:15 AM
Free advice, FWIW

I have recently run both a 9600pro and a 9800pro. There is no comparison at all. A 9600 and IL-2 is a bad combination in the way that fire and gasoline are a bad combination.

The 9800 will not run with stability on a chinese 350 watt power supply, in my case running a power-hungry Prescott. The 9600 would run on the 350 watt PSU. If you're going to get a 9800 you are going to have to take a careful look at your PSU.

Do not ignore this. You will have nothing but misery if you do not have enough juice. If you do upgrade you'll need at least 20 amps on the 12v line from the PSU for a 9800 and 30 amps if you want to upgrade to the newest cards eventually.

A 9800 will also heat up the air in your case a great deal more than a 9600, you may need to modify your ventilation to keep things cool.

clint-ruin
10-08-2004, 05:15 AM
I don't get stutters in perfect at all even at 1024x768 4xFSAA 2xAnisotropic [or trilinear/bilinear]. You're not looking at 50fps, but I don't get horrible slowdowns in clouds or explosions or anything, either. This is with a 9550 clocked at 460/660.

[edit: got the clock wrong]

I did get them, very badly, right up until I turned fastwrites off and kicked AGP down to 4x from 8x, as well as setting the PCI latency to a more agreeable level. Even without overclocking Perfect is very very very playable if you leave FSAA alone, or in 2x temporal AA.

I was in exactly the same boat - want to wait for a cheaper 6800 or x800 - the 9550 was only $170 australian, which is dirt cheap in real money. This'll do me fine til then.

scottmal1
10-08-2004, 07:01 AM
i run a 'connect 3d 128mb 9800pro' with an 'artic cooling vga silencer' heatsink and fan, this allows me to overclock this card(using 'ati tool') to 9800xt stock core and memory speeds( 412 core,365 memory, and no i havent got the 'samsung' memory chips mine are 'hynix'.This vga silencer will set you back 10 from pc world or even cheaper online if you can get free shipping like from ' the cooling shop.com' the only downside is that it uses up a pci slot because it's so big. My psu is a 350 watt 'enermax' unit which is not a crappy one, it set me back 60 about 8 months ago, just for the record my cpu is an athlon xp2500 barton overclocked to 2.1 ghz. I run fb aep on 'excellent' because i prefer it, on 'perfect' i PERSONALLY think the water effect looks like you are 10 feet away from it when you are in fact 2000 feet!but this is only what i think and i play this game on the settings that i like nevertheless the 9800pro runs faultlessly on 'perfect'I would give you frame rates etc but i'm a lazy sod and always have stuff running in the background so it would'nt be very accurate!! Go for a 9800pro its excellent value for money,i'm keeping mine for a few years untill i'm ready for my next big upgrade( 64 bit cpu and 64 bit o/s, etc)

Weather_Man
10-08-2004, 08:46 AM
9800pro. The 9600XT is NOT worth saving $25 or whatever it is.

The-Good-Guy
10-08-2004, 09:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Weather_Man:
9800pro. The 9600XT is NOT worth saving $25 or whatever it is. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, after much deliberation, it looks like I'll be settling for a 9800 Pro.

My final(?) question: Should I get the 128MB or 256MB card?

scottmal1
10-08-2004, 09:42 AM
oh i forgot, i also have 1 gig of crucial pc2700, a big thermaltake cpu hsf and 2 80mm case fans, i've 7 fans in total, it sounds a bit like a 'dyson' but it runs nice and cool!!

B16Enk
10-08-2004, 09:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The-Good-Guy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Weather_Man:
9800pro. The 9600XT is NOT worth saving $25 or whatever it is. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My final(?) question: Should I get the 128MB or 256MB card? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

256mb.

For the extra cost:
If you don't need it you'll never know. If you do you do http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I had a 9600XT 256mb. 2-4 weeks later my wife got it and I dropped in a 9800XT. With the benefit of hindsight I would have done as well with a 9800Pro.

9600XT performance was, amazingly, on a par with my old nVidia 4200!

Fastwrites - don't over look that or underestimate the effect of leaving them on. Turn them off!

The-Good-Guy
10-08-2004, 05:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B16Enk:

My final(?) question: Should I get the 128MB or 256MB card? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

256mb.

For the extra cost:
If you don't need it you'll never know. If you do you do http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I had a 9600XT 256mb. 2-4 weeks later my wife got it and I dropped in a 9800XT. With the benefit of hindsight I would have done as well with a 9800Pro.

Fastwrites - don't over look that or underestimate the effect of leaving them on. Turn them off! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great. Decision made.

I'll be going for a 9800 Pro 256.

Thanks all for your help.

Time to do a bit of shopping.

The-Good-Guy

huggy87
10-08-2004, 08:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B16Enk:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhhh. Don't tell me that. I replaced my nvidia 4200 with a 9600xt about 5 months ago. I have no complaints, but then I really haven't noitced a big performance increase either.

clint-ruin
10-08-2004, 09:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by huggy87:
Ahhhh. Don't tell me that. I replaced my nvidia 4200 with a 9600xt about 5 months ago. I have no complaints, but then I really haven't noitced a big performance increase either. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitely a lot faster than the 4200 I had before - and that was a fairly nippy one clocked near 4600 levels.

Rogodin
10-08-2004, 09:35 PM
The 9800pro/xt is a great card-just get yourself one with good memory! I can get my 128mb 9800np to 450/411 before artifacting (and it's 2 years oldhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

I consider it an XT with these speeds

Rogo