PDA

View Full Version : What should the next city(cities) be called?

JacksonL2007
05-11-2008, 10:52 AM
What should DrIVer's cities be called. and should it be set out in islands like gta except better done. the reason im suggesting that is because it would give room for more forms of transport and give them a purpose.

JacksonL2007
05-11-2008, 10:52 AM
What should DrIVer's cities be called. and should it be set out in islands like gta except better done. the reason im suggesting that is because it would give room for more forms of transport and give them a purpose.

smiler_16
05-11-2008, 10:57 AM
thats why i suggestd flying to the other cities in the other topic about the new cities!!

JacksonL2007
05-11-2008, 11:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smiler_16:
thats why i suggestd flying to the other cities in the other topic about the new cities!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah but do you have any name ideas?

smiler_16
05-11-2008, 11:10 AM
MMMmmm had a think but not just yet...

...im liking your new icon!!

Driverman2006
05-11-2008, 06:14 PM
As long as it's a REAL place(s) in The USA, Canada, UK, and/or Australia.

I don't want any of this "Fictional Name" bull$#!+ like in the GTA series. See, that's one thing that seperates the Driver series from the GTA series. The fact that the Driver series is set in real places.

smiler_16
05-12-2008, 02:16 AM
I totally Agree

i think the Driver Series is Unique because it has more of a serious action/chase movie feel to it and we need to keep that, and i think the real cities also play big parts in that.

the Only city i can think of that makes any sence which would suit tanner is chicago, But if you can think of any then please post!!.

JacksonL2007
05-12-2008, 06:08 AM
Having real cities makes that much of a difference? Bull$hit. Driver's cities get boring where as in GTA i never get bored. There is reasons for this.

A fictional place would allow us more freedom which is what games are all about. a hollywood movie is totally over the top and having a fictional place would take that away from it?

smiler_16
05-12-2008, 07:11 AM
I understand where your coming from

But i would suggest a real city, which is heavily modified in locations that need it, and even make places like buildings more accessable too, just for that bit more of exploration... because in D3 i just always Drove round the boring streets and in each city i always go to the same locations, through the same routes, because there is not much else to do, where as in D:PL its size is good but it doesn't feature that much to do, so i tend to just go to the racetracks and the Destruction Derby location...

where as maybe they would need somewhere for you to go when you are getting slightly bored of handbrake cornering around everywhere,

so any suggestions for something what you would enjoy doing other than Driving around the streets eg: stunt parks, more racetracks and destruction derby bowls/raceways, Pubs/Bars to drink in, ect.

Edit:

also place some special locations far out of the way to make people to need to Drive around the city streets, which would encourage people to take full advantage of what the game is made for, because in D:PL you can just go from one safehouse to another, which makes no need to Drive anywhere, or get police chases ect.

JacksonL2007
05-12-2008, 02:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smiler_16:
I understand where your coming from

But i would suggest a real city, which is heavily modified in locations that need it, and even make places like buildings more accessable too, just for that bit more of exploration... because in D3 i just always Drove round the boring streets and in each city i always go to the same locations, through the same routes, because there is not much else to do, where as in D:PL its size is good but it doesn't feature that much to do, so i tend to just go to the racetracks and the Destruction Derby location...

where as maybe they would need somewhere for you to go when you are getting slightly bored of handbrake cornering around everywhere,

so any suggestions for something what you would enjoy doing other than Driving around the streets eg: stunt parks, more racetracks and destruction derby bowls/raceways, Pubs/Bars to drink in, ect.

Edit:

also place some special locations far out of the way to make people to need to Drive around the city streets, which would encourage people to take full advantage of what the game is made for, because in D:PL you can just go from one safehouse to another, which makes no need to Drive anywhere, or get police chases ect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd suggest garages, not like in DPL. I mean like car showrooms and mechanic garages. Places you could explore and discover new cars/parts at. It needs to be a real place however and not some $hitty DPL tardus.

Another place you could go would be pubs as you mentioned. How fun would it be to go into the car park and shot up the cars and have loads of drunks throwing bottles of beer at you. As well as getting to go into the bar and get drunk yourself, I know GTA IV does it but it is a rather good idea.

Oh and who hasnt wanted throw a classical muscle car into a cafe.

It would be cool if there was other criminals that you could bust around the city. How good would it be to brake into a warehouse and shot up a drug deal.

Thats just a few ideas.

smiler_16
05-12-2008, 02:40 PM
i think although GTAIV first adopted the idea of getting drunk, it would be great to do that in Driver!

Oh and 1 note to the reflections staff, the team at rockstar got that idea from the modders, if you look up GTASA mods you'll find a script mod which allows you to get drunk, so that just shows how modders could inspire some good ideas.

FutureVenturer2
05-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Oh my god, JacksonL2007. You are such a GTA wannabee. When you look at a game like Driver, you can't help but to think that it's helpless without a feature of a GTA game. Driver does not need 90% of what GTA has, nor does it need as much as 10%. Only should it have features including taking cover, climbing, rolling, jumping, running, melee combat, and any other on-foot ability that serves a good key to survival. The driving definitely needs to offer plenty of cars and bikes, ranging from all kinds of types (hot rods, sports cars, muscle cars, sedans, etc.). And the storyline should have you playing as a cop. I don't care if Reflections has to sacrifice so much freedom just to polish up the many aspects of this game because if you think about it, the Driver franchise really needs to find itself a doctor who will give it a surgery to treat all of those many wounds which were given by Rockstar North and by the Reflections staff itself.

As far as a city goes, I think that San Francisco, the city in which Bullitt was filmed, would be the best place for Driver 4.

smiler_16
05-13-2008, 02:27 AM
I totally disagree with futureventurer2 (Again)

Look at Driv3r,

When you had completed that and killed all of the tommy vercettis (lookalikes)
then you would have nothing at all to do apart from Drive around, which is only exciting for 5 minuites!!

but if you could get drunk, then Driving around could be much more fun... especially if you could pick how drunk you wanna be by the amount you drink!!

And those handbrake turns would then be a bit more tricky making it a massive extra thing, trying to get the hang of Driving a car at high speeds going around corners, when you are completely drunk.

So ideas like that just add to the game

not removing anything at all

JacksonLloyd
05-13-2008, 11:55 AM

Look at Driv3r,

then you would have nothing at all to do apart from Drive around, which is only exciting for 5 minuites!!

but if you could get drunk, then Driving around could be much more fun... especially if you could pick how drunk you wanna be by the amount you drink!!

And those handbrake turns would then be a bit more tricky making it a massive extra thing, trying to get the hang of Driving a car at high speeds going around corners, when you are completely drunk.

not removing anything at all </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you!

@Future. Notice that all of those suggestions where related to driver or atleast added to the driving experience.

FutureVenturer2
05-13-2008, 03:56 PM

Look at Driv3r,

not removing anything at all </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Excuse me, smiler_16, but Reflections usually tries to be serious with its development on video games. Of course, I know that the staff hasn't been doing well since D1, but it isn't such an easy thing to work your way up in the video game industry. Instead of adding random **** like drunk driving, Driver 4 could have a lot more polished elements for the on-foot and driving, in the storyline's missions than GTA IV, so I'll be settled with a decision like that, rather than a goofy one such as this.

It honestly says that you love GTA IV. We get it. But you really go too far when you offer up features that have already been taken up by games. If it's not going to improve the storyline further, **** it. I'd rather be here as a fan for an actual polishing storyline and overall game, as opposed to having Reflections aim to have just as much crazy, random things for you to go around and do in the city. You're just slowing down Reflections' path.

I've been in the forums for every since it was created (around December 2006), except that I've come down with around 3 or 4 accounts, simply because I forgot their passwords, or I just felt like making another account. You, on other hand, probably have this as your first time here. You haven't been here or at the Atari Forums. Instead, you've only been a member here since March 2008. What does that say about you? It says that you've still got lots of time to improve, whether it's in thinking up ideas that are original, or that it's how correctly you spell your grammar. I used to be someone that didn't have much skills in either ideas nor that of grammar (around 2006 of May, which is probably when I joined the Atari Forums), but look at how I've improved.

My advice to you is that you make each time spent posting here actually worth everyone's time. If this is not the case, then it is really pointless to come here in the first place.

When we're trying to save the Driver franchise, we are looking back at its past and seeing for what it did right and wrong. I know that a lot of its problems up until this point have to do with the fact that Reflections focuses too much on Rockstar North's GTA formula. Had Reflections' staff actually tried to think a bit deeper, would they then find it possible to resolve these issues.

DPL was perhaps one of the most controversial actions that I've ever seen come from Reflections. I didn't like it very much, due to it offering almost none of the returning Driver features, which means that it completely strayed from the franchise's roots. I would even have to say that it was more controversial than D3 because with D3, all that happened was that Atari didn't give Reflections enough time to develop the game, or the game testers just really must've ****** up the quality of the game. Although Driv3r should be considered the worst Driver game in terms of quality, Driver: Parallel Lines took it even further by simplying having Reflections' staff imply that the franchise's roots cannot save the sequels, so they must take a whole different direction, which is what it did. And that is an insult to every Driver fan which was around because the game was too far out of many loyal Driver fans' league in terms of what they expected it to be like. Sure, you may not have felt that way about it, but I did and perhaps others like J_Frumpleberg and InsaneDriver06 feel the same way as me.

smiler_16
05-14-2008, 10:16 AM
I might of not been on this forum for that long, but, i have been on the GTA forums for a very long time, and i was a big modder of the GTA games, and i still am working on the GTA San Anreas Real Car mod, But i came over to this Forum because i wanted a game like Driver because it has a whole different experience, although its a similar type (TYPE) of game,and i had found that people like you (Future) tend to say bad things about the series, but dont tell the guys at reflections how to sort it out, so i decided to try and tell them what i think is wrong and right, and also get people who are realistic to suggest a few things too! (Such a JacksonL and Madness)