PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare mode or similar?

shadow276185
09-19-2018, 09:02 AM
Will ODYSSEY have nightmare mode + level scaling (or any other form of tough difficulty) upon release?

I ask this, because if it does not, than I will not purchase the game until it does have a very high difficulty option.

Olympus2018
09-19-2018, 10:09 AM
Will ODYSSEY have nightmare mode + level scaling (or any other form of tough difficulty) upon release?

I ask this, because if it does not, than I will not purchase the game until it does have a very high difficulty option.

Auto-levelling means you will never oppose enemies that are too weak.... No more than 3 levels below you. Even in easy mode, you will be "desynchronized" a lot when you confront more than one enemy at the same time. Hard mode will be really difficult. So, if you enjoy dying in AC, you are gonna do that so often in the game.... that you may end up doing it too often!

shadow276185
09-19-2018, 10:40 AM
How do you know this? are you a dev?

Also just FYI, even Nightmare+level scaling in Origins was not too difficult for me.

And they need to make 'dying' (desynchronized) ingame to be more punishing. In Origins when you died, you just revived/reloaded somewhere close by on the map with no apparent penalty. This made me feel somewhat invincible. There should be some form of serious penalty for 'dying' (desynchronized) ingame, such as loss of expereince points, money, items, etc. So that you feel some sort of loss, and not just re-appear on the map with no sign of any suffering!

Olympus2018
09-19-2018, 11:06 AM
How do you know this? are you a dev?

Also just FYI, even Nightmare+level scaling in Origins was not too difficult for me.

And they need to make 'dying' (desynchronized) ingame to be more punishing. In Origins when you died, you just revived/reloaded somewhere close by on the map with no apparent penalty. This made me feel somewhat invincible. There should be some form of serious penalty for 'dying' (desynchronized) ingame, such as loss of expereince points, money, items, etc. So that you feel some sort of loss, and not just re-appear on the map with no sign of any suffering!

Auto-leveling is confirmed. No I am not a dev with Ubisoft. I am a dev though...

ProdiGurl
09-19-2018, 11:19 AM
Not all of us want to be harshly penalized for dying each time - it drags a game out & gets monotonous.
If they want to do that on a high difficultly level, great, but not on normal or easy modes.

Olympus2018
09-19-2018, 11:26 AM
Not all of us want to be harshly penalized for dying each time - it drags a game out & gets monotonous.
If they want to do that on a high difficultly level, great, but not on normal or easy modes.

I agree. I play games to have fun, not being masochistic etc. I don't want to die too often in the game. I don't want it to be too easy either.

ProdiGurl
09-19-2018, 11:40 AM
I agree. I play games to have fun, not being masochistic etc. I don't want to die too often in the game. I don't want it to be too easy either.
Ya a few AC games were SO easy, I was just running around wiping guards out everywhere. I felt no threat and that took some fun out of it. That might be why I loved the Phylakes in Origins so much. It was kool to have to run from them if you weren't near their level yet - feeling threatened.

But when you're a casual gamer, the last thing you want is punishment for dying. It's safe to say we already work hard not to die and don't want to Fail. In a long game like this, it also makes it too annoying.
Maybe if someone wants to feel that much pain for dying, they should inflict real pain on themselves by doing 100 sit ups every time they fail and spare the rest of us the misery. :nonchalance:

topeira1980
09-19-2018, 12:23 PM
first of all - levels scaling is the default. lower level enemies will scale to be about 2 levels below you. I dont even know if there is a none-scaling mode here.

second of all - nightmare is confirmed and the best proof is that there was a guy who recorded footage on nightmare
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAMOHXpmZTM&t=1850s

I dont like this way of upping difficulty. its lazy and it detracts from what the hero is - he's supposed to be better than anyone else yet he feels like the weakes human on earth when even the weast soldier is stronger than him.

I agree that on nightmare there should be a bigger penalty for dying and other means for making the game harder.
Ideas could be:
1) if you die you lose one of the items you had equipped. to get it back it will spawn in a random chest around the world for you to steal.
2) if you die due to injury you will lose one of the equipped skills you had in the moment of death. Its will "heal" back after some time or after killing enough enemies.
3) enemies will counter or dodge sooner instead of only after 5 hits.
4) enemies will move faster when attacking. perhaps 25% faster in their attack animation.
5) enemies will be more aggressive when fighting in groups so the player has less time to attack the same target over and over again because he will need to constantly react to the other enemies.
6) healing skill will heal less
7) the player will lose adrenaline when hit.
8) if you get hit while using an adrenaline ability you will stagger, lose the adrenaline the ability cost and not perform the ability
9) tagged enemies become un-tagged after a few seconds.
10) you can only heal without using the healing ability by meditating, but if you meditate than the mission resets, so you cant heal during a mission by simply hiding in a bush when enemies are around.
etc
etc

There are so many ways to increase difficulty without making every tiny enemy be able to take 30 hits and kill you in 3.
Nightmare, according to this footage, just doesnt look fun nor make much sense IMO. in shooters you can make the player and enemies all die in 4 or 5 hits from an AR and the game works on equal grounds between enemies and players, but in a game like AC:O or AC:OD you need to be more clever as a designer. not just go the lazy route and change damage input output.

Since nightmare downs look that much fun to me (i love a challenge but i dont love lazy types of challenge and damage spunge enemies) i think i will try the game on HARD and will try playing it without having the healing ability equipped. i guess the game will be harder if i cant heal within a conflict.

shadow276185
09-20-2018, 05:04 AM

I meant it should be so for the higher difficulty options ofcourse, or atleast available as an option.

I agree with toperia1980, all those dot points would really make for a fun experience for the hardcore gamers!