PDA

View Full Version : Optimum distance between face and monitor

Sooocool
10-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Sometime in the future I intend to get better computer gear with the strongest emphasis on flight sim gaming. Being that I am in the planning stages of the best virtual cockpit this side of my boyhood imagination, I will from time to time, require technical information from the collective genius who occupy this forum, for which there is no equal. ( Yes, it€s You )

In Inches or centimeters, precisely, What is the optimal distance between the monitor screen and the Gamer€s eye in relation to the dimensions of the monitor screen?

OK, let me try to clarify the question by what predicated it.
The setup I€m using now is a small computer desk inverted and swung around backwards with my X52 mounted to it. This way my legs can go over the cross bar of the desk and my CH pedals fit into the cutaway of the desktop ( now the base ). This is actually quite ergonomic, believe it or not, however, in order to use it, I have to slide it up to the family computer desk and the monitor in my opinion is three or four times farther from my face than it should be€¦€¦. Which I might add, is the reason why I€m not the ace of aces.(just kidding).

I recently discussed this with my dear wife who knows nothing about aviation or flight siming, but who does have great instincts, about mounting a big flat screen monitor onto my flight sim desk . She says that would be way to close! Then I began to explain the difference between turn fighting and zoom n boom and why it was so important for me to be able to see the bandit I was diving upon against the terrain below him. Then she asked, so what do pigeons do, swoop n poop? Now that€s free thinking!
I was sooo lost for words and zoned out, you€d think I was just handed a brochure from a young lady in a black bikini.

Sooocool
10-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Sometime in the future I intend to get better computer gear with the strongest emphasis on flight sim gaming. Being that I am in the planning stages of the best virtual cockpit this side of my boyhood imagination, I will from time to time, require technical information from the collective genius who occupy this forum, for which there is no equal. ( Yes, it€s You )

In Inches or centimeters, precisely, What is the optimal distance between the monitor screen and the Gamer€s eye in relation to the dimensions of the monitor screen?

OK, let me try to clarify the question by what predicated it.
The setup I€m using now is a small computer desk inverted and swung around backwards with my X52 mounted to it. This way my legs can go over the cross bar of the desk and my CH pedals fit into the cutaway of the desktop ( now the base ). This is actually quite ergonomic, believe it or not, however, in order to use it, I have to slide it up to the family computer desk and the monitor in my opinion is three or four times farther from my face than it should be€¦€¦. Which I might add, is the reason why I€m not the ace of aces.(just kidding).

I recently discussed this with my dear wife who knows nothing about aviation or flight siming, but who does have great instincts, about mounting a big flat screen monitor onto my flight sim desk . She says that would be way to close! Then I began to explain the difference between turn fighting and zoom n boom and why it was so important for me to be able to see the bandit I was diving upon against the terrain below him. Then she asked, so what do pigeons do, swoop n poop? Now that€s free thinking!
I was sooo lost for words and zoned out, you€d think I was just handed a brochure from a young lady in a black bikini.

Nimits
10-01-2006, 07:35 PM
http://www.ctv.es/USERS/matradi/cockpit.htm#EXTERNAL%20VIEWS

Here is one pit builder's take on it. Basically, an ideal screen position would be at about 3 feet from your eyes, the point where your eyes begin to see "into infinity." Considering that your moniter image may be to small to be usuable at that distance, a compromise somwhere around 18-24 in may be best.

FritzGryphon
10-01-2006, 07:48 PM
I'd say the distance at which the FOV that the monitor occupies is equal to the in-game FOV of the pilot.

So if the ingame FOV is 90 degrees by default, the monitor should be placed so as to occupy 90 degrees of your vision. The perspective of the game would look natural.

But really, whatever distance is the most comfortable is the best. Nothing else matters if you're so close your eyes hurt, or if you're so far you can't make out the dots.

cmirko
10-02-2006, 12:00 AM
optimum distance from your face is the length of your arm http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

so, sit in front of monitor, get your arms up and when you can barely touch the center of screen you have optimal distance http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

read that somewhere but can`t remember where....

lol for the wife comment http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

leitmotiv
10-02-2006, 12:32 AM
As someone who is using TrackIR4 Pro and 6 DOF already in FS2004, Shockwave's BOB2, and Third Wire's combat flight sims, take my advice and be sure you are well set back from the screen because with Oleg's BOB you will have 6 DOF, and it will not work if you are kissing the screen. Venturing intuitively, I'd say two feet---at least. Good luck with your set up!

STENKA_69.GIAP
10-02-2006, 05:34 AM
Get a Freznel lens - that's what professional flight sims use - it means your eyes are focussed at infinity no matter how close and it will magnify up a 17" to 21" +

Will cost you about 47 Euros.

Do search on "Freznel" and you'll find all the info.

Get it before you start mucking about with desk as it will change the way y¨ou design your pit.

werla
10-02-2006, 06:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As someone who is using TrackIR4 Pro and 6 DOF already in FS2004, Shockwave's BOB2, and Third Wire's combat flight sims, take my advice and be sure you are well set back from the screen because with Oleg's BOB you will have 6 DOF, and it will not work if you are kissing the screen. Venturing intuitively, I'd say two feet---at least. Good luck with your set up! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can you possibly have time for all that and still answering Billfish's PTO thread http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

leitmotiv
10-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Excellent question, werla! I don't---I need three lives! As long as I stuck to Oleg's sim I was doing well, but now I'm mediocre at all!

FoolTrottel
10-02-2006, 02:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Then she asked, so what do pigeons do, swoop n poop? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's dive-bombing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Sooocool
10-19-2006, 02:20 AM
Thank you all for your advice and comments. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif This truly is the best forum of all time.
Today I just received my Fresnel lens from 3dlens.com, model F550 and it does all they say it does!
I?ve pretty much determined that the lens will be positioned twice as far from my face as from the monitor screen e.g.
My face is 45 inches from the monitor screen so the Fresnel lens will be 15 inches in front of the monitor screen.
It?s incredible how big the image is. I will have to make a frame for it and attach it to an adjustable support.
This pit building is kind of like the model train layout hobby of the 21st century in that you are always adding to and modifying it, and is so rewarding.

accpps
10-19-2006, 11:09 PM
If you get a decent montier(20+) and play at 1600 x 1200 no more than 24 inches imo.

Philipscdrw
10-20-2006, 07:05 AM
Oooh, Fresnell lenses are cheaper than I thought - does anyone use one?<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

------------------------------------------------------------
PhilipsCDRw

PF_Tini's Simple Guide to Switching 4.04m, 4.05m, and 4.07m. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/7351046415)
Flying on Hyperlobby as EAF_T_Dozer

major_setback
10-20-2006, 10:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Optimum distance between face and monitor ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That depends on what monitor.
Home monitor = 14 inches.
Works monitor = 24 miles (or more).<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/B17sig07.jpg

Lurch1962
10-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Lads,
Being a proponent of visual realism, I've done some experimentation here, and rigged up a neat and CHEAP fresnel lens-based viewer.

The cost:

7 inch X 10 inch flexible fresnel lens typically used as a page magnifier: $7.00.

Foam core board to make a frame to fit my 19" flat screen CRT monitor: $8.00

I'd originally purchased the fresnel lens to use as a collimator for a spotlight. It sat around unused for some time before I realized it might just work for my simming play.

Holding the fresnel lens by hand in front of the monitor (while running track files so that my hands weren't tied up flying the plane!), I found that it worked quite well when placed at a distance from the screen a bit less than the focal length of the fresnel (its focal length is about 12 inches, or 300mm). Of course, the orientation must be such that the long axis of the lens is horizontal. Also, any fresnel I've ever played around with over the years works best when the smooth side faces you (the groved side faces away). That applied this time, too.

Now here comes the neat part, which is possible because of this fresnel's flexibility. I tried bending the lens in the horizontal direction and kind of wrapping it around my face a bit, and got a quite significant improvement in view quality when the radius of the curve was the same as the focal length. In other words, when the lens is bent to fit a curve with a radius of 12 inches, the edge-of-view focus and lateral colour aberrations were improved. To make this perfectly clear, the bending is in one plane only, the result being a section of a cylinder. (It's not possible to warp the lens to make a section of a sphere, which might be ideal but is quite unnecessary.)

Once these basic parameters were determined, it only remained to make a lightweight open frame (not a closed box) to support the lens at the proper position and with the correct curve. The frame easily attaches/detaches with velcro tabs.

The combination of 12" focal length and 19" monitor screen size results in a very happy coincidence. The apparent field of view of my monitor is now very close to 90 degrees! That's like placing your eyes about 7 inches from the screen, but the percieved distance is more like 2 1/2 feet (the focusing provided by the fresnel does this.) To see the full field through a 7" X 10" lens requires that your eyes be fairly close to the lens, and hence you must be able to place the monitor so as to allow a comfortable positioning of your head/body.

I'm sure you're aware that the sim's widest field of view is 90 degrees, which makes for an almost perfect 1:1 match, the sim's view corresponding to reality as you'd percieve it. Now I feel like I'm really in the cockpit!

Before this, I never liked the widest FOV because of the great distortion toward the edge of the field, which is a consequence of the gnomonic, or rectilinear, projection used by the sim. (This is quite apparent when the gunsight's circular reticle is seen in one of the screen corners -- it stretches out into quite an ellipse!) While the fresnel doesn't fully correct for this, it does go a very long way toward a more correctly rendered view. Now I always fly at the 90 degree FOV, zooming in for accurate shots, etc.

With more of my peripheral vision now being put to use, I feel more like a part of the aircraft, and I now have a better perception of the environment and an improved situational awareness. For an occasional diversion, I'll go to the cockpit-off "Wonder Woman" view and fly a maneuverable crate over a big city at low level. Oh, man! It takes a few minutes to overcome the thrill ride-induced queasy stomach!

In short, I can say that the slogan employed by the TrackIR folks applies in my case, perhaps even more so: "Put your head in the Game!"