PDA

View Full Version : New To Just Dance-Have Questions

Faithixa
08-31-2018, 03:22 PM
Hello!

I keep seeing people in videos wearing colored gloves when playing. Are they PS4 gloves to help the game recognize your moves better? Or just regular gloves for looks? I bought the PS4 camera already but sometime it loses me when someone taller than me is dancing. I probably need to space out more room in the living room for dancing. But I most definitely am wondering about those bright colored gloves. Thanks in advance for any answers. =)

greekphysics
08-31-2018, 05:25 PM
That's a great question! I've seen this in several YouTube videos myself.

I believe they are just regular gloves. The coaches wear gloves, so my guess is that this fad started among YouTuber JustDancers to help players keep track of which hand is which. For example, when dancing to Love Ward, there are a couple of moves where it's really easy to lose track of which hand is the right or left hand, so if a player wears a colored glove on one hand (or different colors on both hands), it helps you keep track of which hand is the right hand while watching the video. On the Just Dance coaches, the gloved hand helps players who use PS Move controllers or who use a smartphone, since they need to hold the controller in their right hand.

(A few of the videos we're watching may actually be for Xbox One Kinect players instead of PS4 camera players. Actually, I think more of the videos I watch online use Xbox.)

However, you may be right about the bright colored gloves helping a little. I find that bright colors on a dark background help the camera pick me up better. I wear shirts with long bright sleeves to help it detect my arms, I wear bright orange socks with PS 4, bright pants, sometimes even a bright headband or hat. So bright gloves may actually help a little.

But the hands are just one small part of the body while dancing, and the camera sees how your whole body dances. The feet and legs are quite important, too. The arm angles, leg angles, your posture, basically anything from head to toe may be quite significant. Each move seems to be scored based on different criteria, but if your entire body is dancing perfectly, you should hit a score of perfect. I've hit 13,000 on several of the 2018 dances, and at least 12,000 on all 52 dances, and I haven't yet tried wearing bright gloves (but I think I will test it out in a few days), so I don't think the gloves make too much of a difference (but if they do help a little, and they may because bright colors do seem to help, every point you can get helps).

Multi-player dancing with the PS4 camera can be quite a challenge. (Even single player dancing with the camera has its own challenges.) It's also quite sensitive to shadows, and with two players, you have twice as many shadows in the room. With single player dancing and a few extra (white) lights to place where you want, it's possible to eliminate most of the shadows when you're centered in your dancing area. But when you move to the right or left side of your room, you're likely to develop a shadow. With multiple players, shadows are even harder to control. As you mentioned, relative heights are another issue in multiplayer mode, which makes it especially difficult with kids dancing among adults.

Happy dancing. :-)

Faithixa
09-04-2018, 08:09 PM
Thanks you so much for answering this! =)

greekphysics
09-20-2018, 03:15 AM
I can't thank you enough for asking your question. (Perfect timing, too, for me.)

I tried wearing two bright green golf gloves today and had a very pleasant experience with the PS4 camera with one of my tougher dances. Thank you. :-)

Ubi-Lucipus
09-25-2018, 12:30 PM
I am so happy to see you helping out with this question greekphysics :)

Hope it helped Faithixa!