PDA

View Full Version : driver update question

stugumby
11-23-2004, 11:36 PM
i have installed the recommended nvidia for a fx 5200 driver now with the new patch it calls for a 66.93, is this good for any nvidia or is it a 6-6600 series only, got in my folder but havent unzipped it yet???

also is there a read me for the test new exe ?? i have read the installation order in the read me for the big patch but what about the new exe???

stugumby
11-23-2004, 11:36 PM
i have installed the recommended nvidia for a fx 5200 driver now with the new patch it calls for a 66.93, is this good for any nvidia or is it a 6-6600 series only, got in my folder but havent unzipped it yet???

also is there a read me for the test new exe ?? i have read the installation order in the read me for the big patch but what about the new exe???

F16_txmx
11-24-2004, 01:14 AM
Question nr1: nVidia 66.93 drivers are WHQL Certified for GeForce 256 through GeForce 6 series = your card is supported by the drivers. Donwload the WHQL version of the drivers from here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_66.93

Question nr2: The new exe introduces a new way to launch IL-2 FB+AEP+PF or PF standalone. Reports from players using it says that it gives you better loadtimes and better fps ingame, i have not tried it myself yet. The new exe are to be installed last and adds a new exe, pf_new.exe / il2fb_new.exe depending on version that you have, file in your IL-2 FB+AEP+PF or PF standalone directory.

Hope this helped.

stugumby
11-24-2004, 08:06 AM
yes thanks it helped lots...
my problem is im not exactly computer literate and all these drivers etc can be a bit confusing. had 56.whatever and a jump to 66 etc.
My next question is im in open gl and what is antialiasing and antirophic stuff mine are set to min ore default as is my sound at safe direct x. also my new nvidia has a different menu it asks for performance or quality, so i gues thats a pick and choose reset deal.. h,, whats this red button do???

F16_txmx
11-24-2004, 11:15 AM
GFX drivers = In the ReadmePF.rtf file 1C: Maddox Games recommend that Geforce 3/4/FX card owners use the WinXP-56.72_WHQL drivers from nVidia. This was, however, before the 66.93 WHQL drivers came out.

Antialiasing = The term aliasing pertains to the process of sampling something smooth and continuous using a series of discrete measurements. If the measurements do not accurately represent the function, unwanted artifacts which are not present in the original will appear. The appearance of these artifacts is referred to as aliasing. As you have probably surmised, antialiasing (or sometimes, anti-aliasing) refers to methods of eliminating (or most often, reducing) these unwanted artifacts. In the context of rasterizing images, antialiasing refers to the reduction of the jagged borders between colors. The more Antialiasing you put on, the less fps ingame.

Anistrophic Filtering = Basically AF is an attempt to increase the sharpness of textures in games. AF puts alot of strain on the GFX Card as it renders textures far away to be seen clearer.

Performance or Quality setting = Is what it says, i.e the more quality you select for the textures the less frame rate.

Sound = Set to match your soundcard or have a look here: http://www.airwarfare.com/tech/soundil2.htm
This setup guide is for IL-2 ver 1.2 but gives a gereral setup which will work ok for IL-2 FB/AEP/PF as well.

Good luck!

Aero_Shodanjo
11-24-2004, 11:30 AM
@stugumby. I see that you have the same card as mine.

Just a reminder actually. You have to uninstall the previous driver (56.72) and restart the computer before you install the new one.

After that you can experiment with anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering. Just right click on the screen and select properties. Under setting tab click advanced button. I have yet a chance to dl the new driver for nvidia. But with previous driver I got a reasonably smooth gameplay set to 2xQ AA (anti aliasing - between 2x & 4x AA) and 2x AF (anisotropic filtering).

That's as far as I can remember for now. Hope that helps.

codeseven7
11-24-2004, 01:53 PM
It's my understanding (could be wrong) that the last driver that was optimized for GeForce 3/4 cards was the 56.72, thats why they are recommended. That will not change as far as the GeForce 3/4 cards are concerned. But with newer cards, such as the 66-6800 series, the 'newest' official drivers will be recommended because they are optimized for the newest cards. So, if you have an older card such as the GeForce 3/4, use the 56.72. Many newer drivers will seem to function ok with older cards but they are not optimized with the older cards in mind.