PDA

View Full Version : Next AC...Sumerians or Norse Mythology?

V3ntilator
08-22-2018, 11:13 PM
AC game about Sumerians, 6000 years ago would be great as they also were a advanced civilization that invented alot.
Sumerians is the oldest known civilization in the world.

Norse Mythology...The whole thing would also make big epic AC game.

List of locations in the mythology.
http://norse-mythology.net/list-of-the-locations-in-norse-mythology/

FlyingMan78
08-23-2018, 05:35 AM
Well, while I would like me some nordic ambience (I freaking love Skyrim), I don't really see AC going there, with Skyrim (pseudo-nordic) and God of War being so recent games. Sumerians, that would be nice, I see it more probable than nordic or japanese. I could be wrong thought, who knows?

Olympus2018
08-23-2018, 09:18 AM
IF the next AC game wants to go further back to the beginning of the First Civilization (1000-1300 BC) then there is nothing historical about Scandinavia. There was not even writing back then. It's prehistory for that part of the world. Since AC is not God of War (pure fictional mythology), the game cannot feature Scandinavia unless it is dated in the second millenium AD. Sumer on the other hand, makes sense...

Kiroku
08-23-2018, 09:40 AM
I dont mind about the setting just give me a true Assassin next time please

dxsxhxcx
08-23-2018, 12:20 PM
I bet the next game will be set in Japan

ninja4hire10
08-23-2018, 12:57 PM
I'm hoping Norse. Makes sense, seeing as how, at least in relation to well known mythologies, Vikings fit right in: sailing, big wartime combat, gods and beasts to battle, etc.

And if it's Vikings and the like, I hope that it's the last of the Origins-Odyssey flavor (even though I like those flavors) and the game after that--maybe Japan?--will coincide with the new generation of consoles and will signal the return of the classic AC of old.

V3ntilator
08-24-2018, 08:01 AM
Sumerians makes most sense, but scenerey will look too much like old Egypt.

As for Norse... Thats quite a meaty theme which easily fills a world like Origins/Odyssey.
Vikings, Valhalla, Yggdrasil, Asgard, Midgard, Idon, Thor, Heimdall, Froya, Loki, Balder, (Midgardsormen).
They could also re-create Ragnarok in same way as they did the big ship battles in AC Origins.
Norse Mythology would have more location variations than Origins and Odyssey too.

God of War is far from a proper Norse Mythology game btw, and all Norse characters in that game is down powered too to be closer to greek gods.

If they can make a game about Greek Gods which is also only a myth, then they easily can do it for Norse too.

MnemonicSyntax
08-24-2018, 09:01 AM
If they can make a game about Greek Gods which is also only a myth, then they easily can do it for Norse too.

Except Greek gods have been a recurring theme since Assassin's Creed began, as they were other names for the Isu.

V3ntilator
08-24-2018, 03:42 PM
Except Greek gods have been a recurring theme since Assassin's Creed began, as they were other names for the Isu.

Yes, but were Egypt that too?

MnemonicSyntax
08-24-2018, 05:30 PM
Yes, but were Egypt that too?

No, and it was pretty convoluted.

I mean, you have a point. But "easily" is subjective, especially when Athena = Minerva, Hera = Juno and Zeus = Jupiter.

While I loved the deeper part of Origins in regards to the Isu, there wasn't a real connection to any previous gods or godesses. Which is a shame, really.

V3ntilator
08-25-2018, 10:39 AM
No, and it was pretty convoluted.

I mean, you have a point. But "easily" is subjective, especially when Athena = Minerva, Hera = Juno and Zeus = Jupiter.

While I loved the deeper part of Origins in regards to the Isu, there wasn't a real connection to any previous gods or godesses. Which is a shame, really.

Well..There is comparisons between all 3..Norse, Egypt and Greek.

Zeus = Odin, Hercules = Thor, Athena = Froya etc..

Swailing
08-26-2018, 11:41 PM
I've said it before, but if they do the Norse then they have to do the Varangian Guard https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangian_Guard

It's a theme that also gets us back to Istanbul, a city that wasn't really done justice by Revelations. I'd love to see it done properly with the post-Origins approach. It's also more interesting to be able to look at two very distinct cultures at the same time, and see how they interact. Plus, people tend to imagine a very insular world when they imagine the Vikings/Norse people, but the whole reason the Varangian Guard existed was because the Vikings had been great travellers and traders and were well established along the trade routes into the Middle East. Viking burials reveal bodies buried in their best clothes and finery. Their best clothes were often their silks, and among their luxury goods were spices: all acquired from the near and far east.

Olympus2018
08-27-2018, 07:37 AM
I've said it before, but if they do the Norse then they have to do the Varangian Guard https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangian_Guard

It's a theme that also gets us back to Istanbul, a city that wasn't really done justice by Revelations. I'd love to see it done properly with the post-Origins approach. It's also more interesting to be able to look at two very distinct cultures at the same time, and see how they interact. Plus, people tend to imagine a very insular world when they imagine the Vikings/Norse people, but the whole reason the Varangian Guard existed was because the Vikings had been great travellers and traders and were well established along the trade routes into the Middle East. Viking burials reveal bodies buried in their best clothes and finery. Their best clothes were often their silks, and among their luxury goods were spices: all acquired from the near and far east.

The Varangian Guard would not exist in a Norse game since the Varangians were pretty much Vikings and Saxons hired by the Eastern Roman Byzantine empire. They only returned to Scandinavia after they were released from Byzantine service and got paid.

Swailing
08-28-2018, 12:13 PM
The Varangian Guard would not exist in a Norse game since the Varangians were pretty much Vikings and Saxons hired by the Eastern Roman Byzantine empire. They only returned to Scandinavia after they were released from Byzantine service and got paid.

And why is that important? My whole point is that I think it would be more interesting to see culturally Norse people in an environment that's foreign to them. We know they maintained their culture, not least because they left graffiti chiselled into the stone of major Istanbul landmarks using their language. So we'd get to see Istanbul, properly this time unlike the rushed Revelations project, with the buildings at full scale, and also see the Norse culture within the Varangian band plus any visiting people and traders from their homeland.

Setting a Norse game in the thick of Viking domestic culture and history would be a waste, imo. Looking at a Norse game as simply one of religion and raid-based warfare is a very limited view of what they were doing. What makes them most interesting is their expansion activities. Besides, the end of an age is often an interesting point of entry for an Assassin's Creed game. Origins didn't show us the heyday of the age of Pharaohs, but instead showed us the brink of collapse. Unity went for the French Revolution because it was the fall of the monarchy, and the sunset of the British Empire in Syndicate (although it didn't use that particularly well), a Native American town just as it was being cut down by the invading Europeans in ACIII. There's a lot more to say about a culture that realises it's teetering on the edge of a major shift.

Olympus2018
08-28-2018, 01:54 PM
And why is that important? My whole point is that I think it would be more interesting to see culturally Norse people in an environment that's foreign to them. We know they maintained their culture, not least because they left graffiti chiselled into the stone of major Istanbul landmarks using their language. So we'd get to see Istanbul, properly this time unlike the rushed Revelations project, with the buildings at full scale, and also see the Norse culture within the Varangian band plus any visiting people and traders from their homeland.

Setting a Norse game in the thick of Viking domestic culture and history would be a waste, imo. Looking at a Norse game as simply one of religion and raid-based warfare is a very limited view of what they were doing. What makes them most interesting is their expansion activities. Besides, the end of an age is often an interesting point of entry for an Assassin's Creed game. Origins didn't show us the heyday of the age of Pharaohs, but instead showed us the brink of collapse. Unity went for the French Revolution because it was the fall of the monarchy, and the sunset of the British Empire in Syndicate (although it didn't use that particularly well), a Native American town just as it was being cut down by the invading Europeans in ACIII. There's a lot more to say about a culture that realises it's teetering on the edge of a major shift.

A game based on the Varangian Order, would basically be a game about Byzantium. Vikings in Byzantium would make as much sense as Greeks in India, after the Battle of Hydaspes River. Not very likely to happen. Vikings in Iceland or Scandinavia would be more interesting to me.

V3ntilator
08-29-2018, 06:16 AM

A viking only game would be dull on a big scale.
It has to be combined with Norse Mythology which is where the big variety is, but also story-wise.

AC Origins and Odyssey is both supernatural games, so it makes sense to combine Vikings with Norse Mythology, like Greeks with Greek Mythology.

Main world locations.
Norway, Iceland, Denmark, Sweden
Supernatural locations: Valhalla.
The Nine worlds of Yggdrasil: Niflheim, Asgard, Midgard, Muspelheim, Jotunheimen, Vanaheim, Alfheim, Svartalfheim and Helheim.
There is a bunch of other locations too.

BTW: The Lord of the Rings is inspired by Norse Mythology, and is why it uses some Norwegian locations.

Jotunheimen, Hov, Bryn and many other locations from Norse is place names still used in Norway.

BTW: Forget the Thor movies. They are far from as cool as the real mythology.
Thor movies is also only have a tiny part of the mythology.
The characters in the movies is not like the ones in the mythology either. Especially not Odin and Loki.
They partially got Heimdall right.

And Thor Ragnarok is totally wrong. It's nothing like Ragnarok at all.
Then 3 Thor movies without Midgardsormen?

The greatness of Thor were sadly showed off better in Avengers Infinity War, than in any Thor movie.

The worst thing that could happen to Norse Mythology is if Disney made a movie about it, because they would make it for the American public and ruin everything.

Olympus2018
08-29-2018, 07:44 PM
14th century BC
Jason and the Argonauts went on a quest to find an artifact called the Golden Fleece, which was one of the Shrouds of Eden.

13th century BC
The Trojan War started, due to the machinations of the Isu Eris using an Apple of Eden. The war saw the rise and fall of many famous heroes, including Achilles and Paris.

So, IF the next AC game wants to go further back in time, the ancient Greek world, including modern Turkey and the Black Sea, should be featured as well. I don't see how Sumerians would fit in... The Sumerian civilization flourished between 3000 and 2000 BC. Then it was lost for good.