PDA

View Full Version : X52 question

MrMojok
07-19-2007, 07:38 PM
What I want to do is assign the mouse wheel on the throttle to be prop pitch+ when I rotate it down and prop pitch- when I rotate it upwards.

The in-game control mappings don't seem to allow it. So, I am assuming that I will have to use the X52 profiling software to do it.

I've never used the profiler before. I've been able to map everything I want using the in-game functions.

So-- do I need to first map a key to PP+ and another to pp- in the game controls, then open the profiler and assign those keys to the mouse wheel, or what? Am I on the right track here?

MrMojok
07-19-2007, 07:38 PM
What I want to do is assign the mouse wheel on the throttle to be prop pitch+ when I rotate it down and prop pitch- when I rotate it upwards.

The in-game control mappings don't seem to allow it. So, I am assuming that I will have to use the X52 profiling software to do it.

I've never used the profiler before. I've been able to map everything I want using the in-game functions.

So-- do I need to first map a key to PP+ and another to pp- in the game controls, then open the profiler and assign those keys to the mouse wheel, or what? Am I on the right track here?

Stew278
07-19-2007, 08:08 PM
Prop pitch on the wheel? That sounds like a good idea, I'll try it. That way I'll have my slider free for trim or flaps http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

What you said sounds right. Set the keys in IL2 first. Then you open the SST profile editor software and make a profile for IL2 and then assign those keys to the wheel. Remember to load the profile before starting IL2 (I always forget mine).

I like the SST software because I can easily have different joystick profiles for fighters and bombers without changing the in game settings.

I just tried this and it works alright. The pitch moves in increments of 5% just like when using keys. The one thing I noticed was if the scroll wheel wasn't depressed while I was rotating it, it would take several turns to move from say 100% to 90%. With the wheel depressed each step moved 5%. It's a little slower than using an axis or slider.

MrMojok
07-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Hmm.. Maybe I should put the flaps on that mouse wheel and put PP on the slider then. I currently use the slider for the flaps.

I will experiment with it and see what works. Man, I am constantly changing around all the assigments on both controllers, in search of the perfect setup for me.

Thanks for your help Stew!

Zoom2136
07-20-2007, 08:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MrMojok:

So-- do I need to first map a key to PP+ and another to pp- in the game controls, then open the profiler and assign those keys to the mouse wheel, or what? Am I on the right track here? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its impossible to do this with the X-52...

I have my PP map to the thumb slider on the throttle...

What you can do with the mouse wheel is to map the ZOOM IN / ZOOM OUT keys to it... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Capt.LoneRanger
07-20-2007, 08:28 AM
I mapped the +5%/-5% buttons to the wheel, when I push the wheel I switch to 70% and when I push the Pinkie together with the X52-mousewheel, I switch back to 100.

Works great, IMHO, though it sometimes needs a bit more scrolling, before the prop-pitch is changed.

bmoffa
07-20-2007, 11:51 AM
I put the prop pitch on the little hat switch next to the mouse wheel. I used the left for minus and right for plus. I use the down position to toggle the landing gear and the up position to toggle chocks. I use the mouse wheel to manually raise and lower the landing gear.

VMF-214_HaVoK
07-20-2007, 03:16 PM
I use the smaller thumb wheel for my prop pitch. Its more precise then the mouse wheel would be I think. And its recognized under hotas in IL2.

S!

Stew278
07-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Do you all have the button LED's at full bright by default on your X52's? When I originally got mine if I set the LED's off in the config panel, they'd stay off next time I reboot. Now they always come on at boot up and I have to manually shut them off every time. Strangely, the MFD LED always stays off by default.

I removed and reinstalled all of the drivers when I added rudder pedals, but that still didn't fix it.

Anyone else have this problem?

MrMojok
07-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Mine are always on, I have never tried to turn them off as I am a creature of the night and always fly in a dark room in between the hours of 7pm and 6am.

I did a quick search here:
Saitek User Forums (http://www.saitekforum.com/forumdisplay.php?s=b909edfa4ec19878c816eeaac9a2bc0 7&f=116)

for the search term "lights" but didn't find anything. I may have done it wrong, have a look over there.

Capt.LoneRanger
07-21-2007, 02:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
I use the smaller thumb wheel for my prop pitch. Its more precise then the mouse wheel would be I think. And its recognized under hotas in IL2.

S! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AFAIK the thumbwheel uses a potentiometer, so you can map is as an axis. The mousewheel works basically as 2 buttons, one actuated for scrolling up, one for scrolling down. I doubt you can use it as additional slider?

MrMojok
07-21-2007, 06:02 AM
That's right. The thumbwheel Havoc is talking about, I use that for elevator trim. I've now mapped the mousewheel to PP, but I am thinking of switching the two around now.

VMF-214_HaVoK
07-21-2007, 10:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MrMojok:
That's right. The thumbwheel Havoc is talking about, I use that for elevator trim. I've now mapped the mousewheel to PP, but I am thinking of switching the two around now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use the slider for elevator trim. What do you use yours for?

Also for those using trim on wheels/sliders and usings toe brakes be sure to download IL2 JoyControl. With that utility you can set the sensitivity of trim and brakes so they work smoother and more precise. It really helps prevent nose overs when using brakes as well as over trimming.

I just set 1 for minimum and 100 for max then hit linear.

S!

VMF-214_HaVoK
07-21-2007, 10:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stew278:
Do you all have the button LED's at full bright by default on your X52's? When I originally got mine if I set the LED's off in the config panel, they'd stay off next time I reboot. Now they always come on at boot up and I have to manually shut them off every time. Strangely, the MFD LED always stays off by default.

I removed and reinstalled all of the drivers when I added rudder pedals, but that still didn't fix it.

Anyone else have this problem? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All those lights bother my eyes so I just have them turned off. I got a Saitek keyboard as well so I got LEDs everywhere! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Stew278
07-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Mine are always on, I have never tried to turn them off as I am a creature of the night and always fly in a dark room in between the hours of 7pm and 6am.

I did a quick search here:
Saitek User Forums (http://www.saitekforum.com/forumdisplay.php?s=b909edfa4ec19878c816eeaac9a2bc0 7&f=116)

for the search term "lights" but didn't find anything. I may have done it wrong, have a look over there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, I did a thorough search of the Saitek forum, but no luck. I think it is a hardware issue peculiar to my controller. Tried complete uninstall/reinstall, switching USB ports, no change.

The control panel slider shows the LED's as set to off, even though they are actually lit. Sometimes they just spontaneously relight for no apparent reason after I've shut them off.

It'd be nice if Saitek would use a physical switch on the controller to set the lights as opposed to a software level control.

I use a 25w red lamp on my desk for lighting when I game at night. Those x52 LED's are just blindingly bright in comparison.

MrMojok
07-21-2007, 05:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
That's right. The thumbwheel Havoc is talking about, I use that for elevator trim. I've now mapped the mousewheel to PP, but I am thinking of switching the two around now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use the slider for elevator trim. What do you use yours for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Havok, I like to fly the P51 a lot and read about how they could drop just a small amount of flap to help in a turn, so I put my flaps on that slider. I can pop them out just a little bit, and then right back in quickly with it. I am wondering now if I may need to rethink my entire control setup, though.

VMF-214_HaVoK
07-21-2007, 07:07 PM

I use the slider for elevator trim. What do you use yours for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Havok, I like to fly the P51 a lot and read about how they could drop just a small amount of flap to help in a turn, so I put my flaps on that slider. I can pop them out just a little bit, and then right back in quickly with it. I am wondering now if I may need to rethink my entire control setup, though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I had my flaps set to mouse wheel once but I kept jamming them, lol. Now I just have up and down set to the hat beside it. Much more effective for me. Crank in a bit of trim to increase your turn.

S!

MrMojok
07-21-2007, 07:17 PM
if you use the throttle slider for elevator trim, do you have to have the slider right in the middle of its range of motion to have trim neutral, and then slide it forward or back from there to adjust? or how does it work?

I am at work tonight and can't map it myself to see how it would be.

Out of curiosity, what do you use the buttons on the throttle for? The big one you can hit with your thumb, and the two smaller ones on the side?

I should just take a picture of my x52 and use paint or something to label the controls, and then ask people on this forum what they use each button/slider/rotary for to get ideas for my own setup.

VMF-214_HaVoK
07-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Yes it pretty much has to be in the middle. What I do is set just a tiny bit of deadband for the slider. But how often do you really need neutral elevator trim? I find myself constantly trimming, especially when climbing, extending, or running flat out on the deck to escape. When I climb I actually rarely touch the pitch as I pretty much climb with trim. This probably explains why I out climb many people flying the same plane. It took awhile for many of my squad mates to understand how I was able to do so. Let me know how you make out.

S!

VMF-214_HaVoK
07-21-2007, 07:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Out of curiosity, what do you use the buttons on the throttle for? The big one you can hit with your thumb, and the two smaller ones on the side? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The big one with the letter E on it I actually use to set elevator trim to neutral in case I get in a jam. The one that has the letter i on it I do not use. I think its the clutch button or something and honestly never really messed with it. The blue button which is button D found buy the slider I use for airbrake as I fly the P-38 a lot. And the small mouse button found by the the little mouse stick I have profiled to be caps lock which is my push to talk key for ventrilo. That is actually the only thing I had to set in profile as IL2 recognizes everything else.

S!

VMF-214_HaVoK
07-21-2007, 07:34 PM
I use the pinkie lever on the stick to toggle my FOV which I find very effective.

VMF-214_HaVoK
07-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Before I got TIR4 I use FB View Plus which a small utility that allows to smooth pan turning you hat in to a mouse pretty much. If you ever flew lomac you know what I mean. But if you do not have TIR and want to free even more buttons using your hat that you generally use to look around you can increase the sensitivity on the mouse stick on the throttle all the way up. I think you will find it very effective. You will just need to map a center view key.

S!

RaceguyOSU
07-21-2007, 08:08 PM
MrMojok wrote:I should just take a picture of my x52 and use paint or something to label the controls, and then ask people on this forum what they use each button/slider/rotary for to get ideas for my own setup.

Hi guys. I am still learning this sim and getting used to my X52. I have used many suggestions made by you all in this forum for the X52 settings (thanks) but could not for the life of me remember what was where. So, I grabbed some X52 pics and labeled the buttons. Some friends liked the idea so I made some blank ones so they could enter their own settings. You can get the pictures here:
http://www.ohioraceguy.com/Pacific_Fighters.html Let me know if this helps or if changes should be made.

rg

MrMojok
07-21-2007, 10:45 PM
That's excellent, Raceguy-- thanks very much!

RaceguyOSU
07-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Glad to help MrMojok. I made this in MS Publisher. If anyone would like this file to update with your personal setting just let me know and I will make it available. I tried saving it as a Word doc but you lose the format. I can save as a PDF if desired.

Codex1971
07-22-2007, 04:40 PM
PERFECT! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

MrMojok
07-22-2007, 06:44 PM
I saved your JPegs, and opened them in paint and typed text labels in there. Worked great!